Manix 2 in Maxamet: What I think about it so far

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Tucson Tom

Re: Manix 2 in Maxamet: Talk me into it (or out of it)

Post by Tucson Tom »

SubMicron wrote:
Mon May 11, 2020 9:41 pm
Tucson Tom wrote:
Mon May 11, 2020 3:09 pm
Don't do it. Save your money. Look for one in CTS 204P instead, or even better CPM 20CV.

I am a great fan of the Manix, but for Maxamet, I like a smaller blade, like the Native 5 LW.
CTS-204P and CPM-20CV are the same steel but simply made by different companies. M390 is also the same chemical composition, but again made by a different company. The net performance result of these three steels, across good production knife companies, is approximately the same.
All this is true, but I still like CPM-20CV a lot better than the others.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

The Meat man wrote:
Mon May 11, 2020 8:09 pm
Wartstein wrote:
Mon May 11, 2020 2:50 pm
Thanks for the input Wartstein! With my choil knives, I tend to automatically hold it "choked up" as it seems weird to hold the knife so far back from the cutting edge. The exception being, my Police 4 and maybe the Military. Too bad there isn't a Maxamet Military, we wouldn't be having this discussion. :rolleyes: :D

(Just out of interest: Is the term "to choke up" not proper English for holding a knife with the index finger in the choil? You know, I practically never, ever actually talk in English or even TO English Native speakers, so I get most of my knowledge about this language just from reading or watching vids)

/ I know what you mean: I also tend to hold my knives with the fingers as close to the cutting edge as possible most times.
But the Manix LW was somewhat an exception to me, it worked equally well being held on the actual handle and "choked up".

And I am sure you´d really like its choil! I am clearly one of the few I guess who prefers a very shallow choil (Stretch 1) over a deeper one (Manix), most people seem to feel exactly the other way round.

All on all: I think you should give the Manix LW a try! For me it is an amazing knife, concerning ergos, cutting geometry and first and foremost cause it is so sturdy despite being so ligtht. Maybe the best choice out there imho whenever you don´t need a really long edge.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Ez556

Post by Ez556 »

The Manix 2 LW is my favorite knife by far. I personally prefer the CBBL over the Compression Lock for a few reasons. First, both can be flicked shut in one motion with fingers out of the way but I get a better hold on the Manix as I’m releasing the lock, more of a fist hold than a finger tip hold (releasing both in the way I feel most natural/comfortable). Secondly, the bit of closing bias you get with the CBBL is really nice, especially in instances where you drop the knife or you are doing something very active where the knife might open in your pocket. Once the detent on a Compression lock pops out of its hole, the knife isn’t secured closed anymore whereas the CBBL has a few degrees where it’ll pull itself shut again. Thirdly, I can flip manipulate the lock identically with either hand. Yes, you can close a Compression Lock with your thumb when it’s in your left hand, but then it is REALLY insecure feeling since your only contact with one side of the knife is with the very tip of your thumb on a smooth tab of metal. The Manix has the same fist-like hold with either hand. When it comes to spring strength, when I first opened the knife I couldn’t believe how hard it was to unlock and I wondered how anyone closed these with one hand. After a few minutes of playing with it I could fairly easily close it one handed, and after a few days it was no problem at all. Now I can easily flick it shut with either hand even with just my thumb from one side of the cage. I don’t know if it’s a matter of the spring loosening up and breaking in, or my fingers getting stronger, or just my muscles getting used to what to do, but I’d say not to be turned off by a stiff spring because it WILL become easier. I have never felt under-edged with the knife except when I was trying to cut apples at the orchard with family, a longer edge would have been nice but I still managed fine. Otherwise the size is VERY balanced edge to handle length. Also, I have never once noticed the jimping during use, it’s never bothered me but the knife has never slipped at all so it must be doing it’s job.
Likes FRN
:spyder: MEMBER OF THE CRUWEAR NATION :spyder:
sal wrote:
Sun Aug 04, 2019 7:28 am
But in reality, there is nothing quite like a gun. And it has been said, "The only way to stop a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun".
Sumdumguy wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 4:35 am
Does that complexity decrease the simplicity? Not at all.
Abyss_Fish wrote:
Wed Oct 21, 2020 11:54 pm
Ti is uh, 300 dollars.
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

The Meat man wrote:
Mon May 11, 2020 8:04 pm
TkoK83Spy wrote:
Mon May 11, 2020 12:57 pm
I think you already know my love affair for the Manix! I find it the perfect size for being a hard use knife, as well as not feeling like you're carrying a pocket sword. I also like the CBBL over every other lock I've tried, I find it very easy and comfortable to use and I don't even have the biggest/manliest hands either haha!

No experience with Maxamet though. One of the few I haven't got my hands on yet.
Yep I knew you would probably have some good things to say about the Manix. ;)

Do you prefer the CBBL over the Compression Lock, and if so why?
I find both the CBBL and compression lock very easy to use. Since I'm always wearing gloves while working, I think the CBBL is easier to operate. Easier to get a grip and disengage it. Sometimes, though not often I have hard time disengaging my compression lock knives while wearing gloves.

I think I'm also a little more partial to the CBBL because it's on my favorite model knife, but also because it's a rare lock. I'm bored of the compression lock (though it is a great lock) But because I have it on so many of my knives. I like some variety.
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Ez556 wrote:
Tue May 12, 2020 6:31 am
The Manix 2 LW is my favorite knife by far. I personally prefer the CBBL over the Compression Lock for a few reasons.....

Funny that this comes up lately several times... I also prefer the CBBL over the comp.lock, for the reasons you mentioned and more.

The CBBL can basically do all the things the comp. lock can (but totally ambidextrious)
Plus, due to its bias towards closing and staying half closed /opened (blade in the half closed position) rather solidly: With a little practice it can also do practically all the various things a backlock can, though some backlock operation methods have to be moderated a bit (use of different fingers....)
Sure, like with a backlock, this takes a bit of practice, but if one does praqtice, backlock and CBBL are the most versatile and safest locks (both for the fingers and concerning accidently dropping the knife) in my personal opinion
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

Wartstein wrote:
Mon May 11, 2020 11:43 pm
The Meat man wrote:
Mon May 11, 2020 8:09 pm
Wartstein wrote:
Mon May 11, 2020 2:50 pm
Thanks for the input Wartstein! With my choil knives, I tend to automatically hold it "choked up" as it seems weird to hold the knife so far back from the cutting edge. The exception being, my Police 4 and maybe the Military. Too bad there isn't a Maxamet Military, we wouldn't be having this discussion. :rolleyes: :D

(Just out of interest: Is the term "to choke up" not proper English for holding a knife with the index finger in the choil? You know, I practically never, ever actually talk in English or even TO English Native speakers, so I get most of my knowledge about this language just from reading or watching vids)
I'm not sure there is a truly "proper" term for that action, but "choke up" is commonly used and understood, and the purpose of language is to convey meaning.
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Mon May 11, 2020 2:11 pm
kennethsime wrote:
Mon May 11, 2020 1:19 pm
My first Manix was also a LW model. I do remember the lock being a bit more difficult to use on that model than in any of the 5 G10 models I have now. I've read a few people on here with those same experiences as well. I agree, the jimping is a bit excessive. If I didn't have to wear gloves when using a knife at work, I could see that being an issue after some prolonged use. Maybe if a G10 model comes along in a steel or Ranger Green scales ;) , give that a try and see if that tickles your fancy a bit better. Especially with the lock.
Yep, I think the lightweight and the g10 Manixes are very different models. Love/hate for one doesn't necessarily mean love/hate for the other.
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.
Tucson Tom

Post by Tucson Tom »

Even though I don't own one, I admire the Manix LW. I handled one in a shop once, long ago, before I ever bought a Manix of my own, and it fit my hand like it was made just for me! But I can never bring myself to buy FRN instead of G10, so all of my Mani' are G10, and I have quite a gang now. The Manix is a great knife. Maybe someday I'll buy a LW. Just for variety and for the wire clip.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Tucson Tom wrote:
Tue May 12, 2020 1:43 pm
Even though I don't own one, I admire the Manix LW. I handled one in a shop once, long ago, before I ever bought a Manix of my own, and it fit my hand like it was made just for me! But I can never bring myself to buy FRN instead of G10, so all of my Mani' are G10, and I have quite a gang now. The Manix is a great knife. Maybe someday I'll buy a LW. Just for variety and for the wire clip.

It is FRCP anyway... :D
Amazing stuff function- and strengthwise, though in a way it feels "cheaper" than FRN.
Tucson Tom

Post by Tucson Tom »

Wartstein wrote:
Tue May 12, 2020 2:36 pm
Tucson Tom wrote:
Tue May 12, 2020 1:43 pm

It is FRCP anyway... :D
Amazing stuff function- and strengthwise, though in a way it feels "cheaper" than FRN.
I wasn't sure and was too lazy to look it up. I can usually tell looking at it. If it looks like I should be able to suck on it
and it ought to then taste sweet, it is FRCP. Either way, I just can't bring myself to do it, though I believe all the reports
of it being great stuff.
The Meat man

Re: Manix 2 in Maxamet: What I think about it so far

Post by The Meat man »

Well I went ahead and bought one! Thanks to the coupon posted in the Crazy Deals thread, I was able to get $40 off from G&R Tactical. That was too good a deal to pass up!

Being my first Manix, I wasn't sure if I would like the knife or not. Some of my concerns with the Manix included:

1. I generally prefer longer blades (around 4 inch) with longer cutting edges. The Manix's cutting edge is less than 3".
2. While I have nothing against FRN/FRCP, I generally prefer G10.
3. I usually prefer a neutral handle design, and the Manix handle is anything but neutral.
4. I like to be able to disassemble my knives, especially ones with non-stainless blades. The Manix LW is pinned.
5. I like thinner, more pocket friendly knives that carry well(why I prefer the P4 over the Military). The Manix looks like it would take up a lot of pocket room.

Basically I just wanted a Maxamet blade longer than the N5. I thought about the PM2 as it offers more blade length than the Manix, but I already have a PM2 and am not wild about the compression lock. (heresy!) I was pretty sure I'd like the CBBL as I like knives with close bias and a smooth opening and closing action (no detent bump).

Anyway, the knife arrived Tuesday.

First of all, I love the blade finish on this Maxamet. It's almost like a semi-mirrored tumble finish that reminds me of pictures of the Slysz knives from Taichung. My Native probably looked like this too from the factory, but it has long sinced dulled with patina. On the brand new Manix, it's gorgeous.

All the sharp edges on the blade - the top edge, Spydie hole, jimping, all of it - have been ever-so-slightly softened by the tumbling (or whatever they do) as well. Just makes the blade feel that much more premium (not to mention more comfortable.) When closed, the blade is perfectly centered.

The blade came about as sharp as I've ever gotten from any factory knife. Absolutely hair-popping.

The handle, I was pleased to discover, in no way felt cheap, flimsy, or "plasticy". Despite being very lightweight, the FRCP feels extremely solid, robust, and well done. Strangely, I feel just as confident holding this knife as I do my steel-lined, G10 Autonomy 2.

This may be due in part to the outstanding ergonomic design of the handle. I found myself handling this knife for awhile before I ever even thought of the ergos. They feel so natural in my hand I didn't think about them. The grip is so secure. I find the most natural grip to be behind the choil, although choking up feels fine too. I still wish Spyderco had traded the choil for more edge length, but so far I haven't found it handicapping in any way.

I love the CBBL. It's smoother than a backlock, it's got a nice sharp lockup and close, and it's a delight to operate one-handed. I can easily use one finger or two, and mine came smooth enough to drop partway when disengaged. It is 100% solid without any blade play at all, even with the lock disengaged. I think this may be my favorite Spyderco lock of all.

I thought the wire clip would be too flimsy for a knife this size, but not so. It is pretty strong and does just fine.

I have been carrying this knife for close to a week now and I love it. It is so lightweight and surprisingly, does not take up nearly as much pocket space (width) as I thought it would. It actually carries better than my Military in that regard. I have not used it much yet, not sure yet how I'll feel about the relatively short cutting edge, but so far it's been great. And of course with Maxamet - it's a beast of a knife.

Anyway...I know this is all old hat to you Manix fans, but just thought I'd share my findings as a newbie. :D

- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

The Meat man wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 6:58 pm
Well I went ahead and bought one! Thanks to the coupon posted in the Crazy Deals thread, I was able to get $40 off from G&R Tactical. That was too good a deal to pass up!

Being my first Manix, I wasn't sure if I would like the knife or not. Some of my concerns with the Manix included:

1. I generally prefer longer blades (around 4 inch) with longer cutting edges. The Manix's cutting edge is less than 3".
2. While I have nothing against FRN/FRCP, I generally prefer G10.
3. I usually prefer a neutral handle design, and the Manix handle is anything but neutral.
4. I like to be able to disassemble my knives, especially ones with non-stainless blades. The Manix LW is pinned.
5. I like thinner, more pocket friendly knives that carry well(why I prefer the P4 over the Military). The Manix looks like it would take up a lot of pocket room.

Basically I just wanted a Maxamet blade longer than the N5. I thought about the PM2 as it offers more blade length than the Manix, but I already have a PM2 and am not wild about the compression lock. (heresy!) I was pretty sure I'd like the CBBL as I like knives with close bias and a smooth opening and closing action (no detent bump).

Anyway, the knife arrived Tuesday.

First of all, I love the blade finish on this Maxamet. It's almost like a semi-mirrored tumble finish that reminds me of pictures of the Slysz knives from Taichung. My Native probably looked like this too from the factory, but it has long sinced dulled with patina. On the brand new Manix, it's gorgeous.

All the sharp edges on the blade - the top edge, Spydie hole, jimping, all of it - have been ever-so-slightly softened by the tumbling (or whatever they do) as well. Just makes the blade feel that much more premium (not to mention more comfortable.) When closed, the blade is perfectly centered.

The blade came about as sharp as I've ever gotten from any factory knife. Absolutely hair-popping.

The handle, I was pleased to discover, in no way felt cheap, flimsy, or "plasticy". Despite being very lightweight, the FRCP feels extremely solid, robust, and well done. Strangely, I feel just as confident holding this knife as I do my steel-lined, G10 Autonomy 2.

This may be due in part to the outstanding ergonomic design of the handle. I found myself handling this knife for awhile before I ever even thought of the ergos. They feel so natural in my hand I didn't think about them. The grip is so secure. I find the most natural grip to be behind the choil, although choking up feels fine too. I still wish Spyderco had traded the choil for more edge length, but so far I haven't found it handicapping in any way.

I love the CBBL. It's smoother than a backlock, it's got a nice sharp lockup and close, and it's a delight to operate one-handed. I can easily use one finger or two, and mine came smooth enough to drop partway when disengaged. It is 100% solid without any blade play at all, even with the lock disengaged. I think this may be my favorite Spyderco lock of all.

I thought the wire clip would be too flimsy for a knife this size, but not so. It is pretty strong and does just fine.

I have been carrying this knife for close to a week now and I love it. It is so lightweight and surprisingly, does not take up nearly as much pocket space (width) as I thought it would. It actually carries better than my Military in that regard. I have not used it much yet, not sure yet how I'll feel about the relatively short cutting edge, but so far it's been great. And of course with Maxamet - it's a beast of a knife.

Anyway...I know this is all old hat to you Manix fans, but just thought I'd share my findings as a newbie. :D

Another convert! Score for team Manix. :cool: ;)
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Welcome aboard bud!! You're one I've always hoped would give it a chance! Glad you feel the way we do now. Doesn't take long! :cool:
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

The Meat man wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 6:58 pm
Well I went ahead and bought one! ......

Glad you like it! I am enjoying my Manix LW (in BD1N though) too a lot lately!

- I can totally second what you say about the handle / FRCP:
Amazingly robust and great feel in hand. There are certainly still reasons why one could prefer the linered G10 model (screw construction, custom scale options, different balance, just preferring G10 and so on), but when it comes to strength I think the LW model can take everything one might throw at it realistically, is a lot lighter and for me has the clear advantage of the smooth, closed back construction: More comfortable in hand in prolonged use and when you slide your hand by the knife in pocket, and the cutting edge is perfectly protected by the closed back.

- And yes, it carries very well.
In my use a wide knife in pocket does not bother me at all, but a too long knife (worst case: with a deep carry clip) certainly does. The Manix IS wide, but rather short,and thank god has the NON deep carry wire clip.
The combo of large closed package, but relatively to the size extremly light weight also makes for the least "bouncy" option in light garment / floppy pockets.
And again, the slim butt end of the knife (much different to the rather wide of for example the PM2) with its gentle curve and smooth closed back makes it very easy to slide the hand by the knife when it is in pocket.

- Short cutting edge:
Certainly the only downside of this knife in my use. Not much longer edgewise than a BM Minigrip for example, that limits the capabilities as an all purpose / general EDC knife a bit. In many tasks it does not matter, but in some it certainly does (like cutting bread or fruits on a hike, or generally cutting stuff with larger diameters).
But on the other hand, one gains something for that short edge: The perfect finger choil (which is mandatory anyway due to the CBBL): I am not necessarely a fan of choils (but still like them in many models), especially since I have no problems to choke up on the actual edge anyway even in harder use tasks. But the Manix with its particular choil really gives you TWO perfectly comfortable grip options, you can switch between in prolonged use. THAT for me is the real advantage of choils: I think any folder will give you hot spots sooner or later in real prolongued use, and having a second perfect grip option for a change helps with that. While the "choil lets you get closer to the edge"-thing is just for me a bit nonsense and could as well be achieved with a proper handle design, but without a choil...
Still: A longer edge, even just by a bit, would make the Manix even better for me.. and could be rather easily achived, with just a few design tweaks, while still offering the exact same grip.

kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

Glad you like it Mean Man!

I touched mine up on the sharpmaker for the first time yesterday, really wasn't that bad.

In spite of the problems I outlined, the Manix has been a regular in rotation this month. The light weight, unique blade shape, and low-impact pocket carry are the chief reasons for me. Overall, it's a great knife, even if it doesn't melt into my hand the way a PM2 does. :)
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
willc

Post by willc »

DB88186F-7033-4C49-9871-77B43F3F9BA9.jpeg
The lightweight Manix2 is probably my most carried Spyderco.
For me it is not too big or too small and the ergonomics plus how light it is really makes it a winner.

I think Maxamet is excellent but lately I have been going with the CS orange S90V one.
The S110V one is definitely my most carried single blade folder, I carried that for over a year straight when it first came out.

I have a few g10 versions but I usually grab a lightweight.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

willc wrote:
Sun May 24, 2020 1:44 pm

For me it is not too big or too small and the ergonomics plus how light it is really makes it a winner.

I think Maxamet is excellent but lately I have been going with the CS orange S90V one.
The S110V one is definitely my most carried single blade folder, I carried that for over a year straight when it first came out.

Nice! .. and you definitely like harder steels... ;)
willc

Post by willc »

Wartstein wrote:
Sun May 24, 2020 1:47 pm
willc wrote:

I do really enjoy all the newer steels that Spyderco keeps coming out with.
Rex45 is especially impressive, I have sharpened up my Native 5 LW in Rex45 and it takes a super fine edge.

Even though I like all these super steels I still love to carry and use “lesser” steels too.
I always have some sort of Victorinox knife on me and on weekends and after work I will have a GEC or similar knife on me.
Knives are too much fun to limit yourself to a certain flavor.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

willc wrote:
Sun May 24, 2020 1:59 pm
Wartstein wrote:
willc wrote:

Rex45 is especially impressive, I have sharpened up my Native 5 LW in Rex45 and it takes a super fine edge.

Even though I like all these super steels I still love to carry and use “lesser” steels too.
I always have some sort of Victorinox knife on me and on weekends and after work I will have a GEC or similar knife on me.

Well said!

Since you like the Manix 2 LW platform but not exclusively supersteels: You should give the BD1N version a try! I am really no steel expert by any means, but still pretty impressed so far. Definitely a step up over "just" BD1 as far as I can tell (had the LW in that steel too) when it comes to edge holding! Did not have to fully sharpen the knife so far though (just touched the factory edge up a bit once), so I can´t talk about sharpening response.
willc

Post by willc »

Wartstein wrote:
Sun May 24, 2020 2:09 pm
willc wrote:
Sun May 24, 2020 1:59 pm
Wartstein wrote:
willc wrote:

Well said!

Since you like the Manix 2 LW platform but not exclusively supersteels: You should give the BD1N version a try! I am really no steel expert by any means, but still pretty impressed so far. Definitely a step up over "just" BD1 as far as I can tell (had the LW in that steel too) when it comes to edge holding! Did not have to fully sharpen the knife so far though (just touched the factory edge up a bit once), so I can´t talk about sharpening response.
I do want to try out the BD1N at some point.
Regular BD1 is a decent steel itself so I am sure the newer stuff should be even better.

My first lightweight Manix2 was one in BD1 but I ended up giving it to my brother in law so really didn’t get to check it out much.
I do have a few Cold Steel in regular BD1 and the steel is very good imo.

The thing I like about steels similar to BD1 is how easy it is to get them sharp.
A couple weeks ago I was cutting insulating foam with my Vic Trekker and ended up swiping the blade on the concrete floor and I had it back to shaving sharp within a half minute with my pocket stone.

So for certain tasks I see a strong argument for using softer steels.
Yet that doesn’t stop me from carrying Maxamet when I feel like it.