Where's the kick?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Where's the kick?

Post by Doc Dan »

Looking at the SpyOpera and Rock Jumper, I see no kick. Where is it? There must be one to hold the blade off of the lock bar. It is clearly not visible on the Spyopera.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Pancake

Re: Where's the kick?

Post by Pancake »

Ask the Sal ,,Magician" Glesser :P
I am quite certain that kick is there, but it is hidden under the scale. Just wait for the first disassembly video.
In the pocket: Chaparral FRN, Native Chief, Police 4 K390, Pacific Salt SE, Manix 2 G10 REX45
JustinB

Post by JustinB »

It could also have a hidden stop pin in a channel in the blade. That is what makes the most sense to me
Justin :spyder:
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

It's visible on the Rock Jumper. The finger guard is just extended to cover it up. The other could have the lock bar's inside raised to reach the smaller kick area, but is probably a pin like the Chaparral.
- best wishes, Jazz.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

Jazz wrote:
Mon May 11, 2020 7:12 am
It's visible on the Rock Jumper. The finger guard is just extended to cover it up. The other could have the lock bar's inside raised to reach the smaller kick area, but is probably a pin like the Chaparral.
I’m thinking pin.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
RadioactiveSpyder

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

Why can’t it be internal? You could certainly engineer a “reverse” kick in the frame somewhere to serve the same purpose. Pretty sure the blade isn’t slamming shut against the backspacer...
It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
VooDooChild

Post by VooDooChild »

Because the other function of the kick was to drop the unsharpened part onto your forefinger for one handed closing. It is there on the rockjumper because sal talked about that being a necessary feature when designing the rock jumper. This was discussed in one of the rockjumper threads a while back.
RadioactiveSpyder wrote: Why can’t it be internal? You could certainly engineer a “reverse” kick in the frame somewhere to serve the same purpose. Pretty sure the blade isn’t slamming shut against the backspacer...
"Rome's greatest contribution to mathematics was the killing of Archimedes."
RadioactiveSpyder

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

Well, clearly that function of the kick is obviously unavailable too... This is also a fairly small knife, if you can’t get your finger out of the way when closing it... :rolleyes:

And I know very well what purposes the kick serves, thanks, I have a few knives with them.
It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
VooDooChild

Post by VooDooChild »

That function of the kick is available. The kick size relative to the pivot has nothing to do with how much of the kick is covered up by the scale in the open position.
"Rome's greatest contribution to mathematics was the killing of Archimedes."