Two Decades of Great Spyderco Models: What's Your Fav?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
JD Spydo

Two Decades of Great Spyderco Models: What's Your Fav?

Post by JD Spydo »

Today I was speaking on a thread about a past model that I haven't heard of in while speaking of the KOPA model from the 2005-2006 era. I particularly love Spyders from what I call The GOLDEN ERA of SPYDERS 1998-2004. There were not many models from that era that I didn't like and I still gravitate toward designs from that time period.

One of my all time favorites is the C-60 Massad Ayoob model which I feel is one of the top 5 best designs of all time. I know I'm not alone liking the models from those decades and especially the C-60 Ayoob model. And we can't let these great models from the 90s & 2000 decades get lost in the shuffle. It was great designs like those of that era that really brought Spyderco to the fame and name recognition they enjoy today.

So let's all list our top 5 favorite Spyders of the past and you might tell us why.
Mine are as follows:
(1) The C-60 Ayoob
(2) The Dodo
(3) The JD Smith
(4) The G-10 Harpy
(5) The C-44 big Dyad

It's time for a history lesson from the Great Spyder Factory :cool:
standy99

Re: Two Decades of Great Spyderco Models: What's Your Fav?

Post by standy99 »

GB1 - it’s just a brute

Pacific Salt - have used them on the boat around salt water for years. Revolutionised the folders on boats for me. ( never had folders that lasted more that 12 months now have one that’s nearly 5 years and going strong )

Delica - just one of those knives I bought with other knives over the years and I have more than a few nowadays scattered throughout the house, garage, 4x4 and one in nearly every bag I own.
Im a vegetarian as technically cows are made of grass and water.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

standy99 wrote:
Mon May 11, 2020 3:47 am
GB1 - it’s just a brute

Pacific Salt - have used them on the boat around salt water for years. Revolutionised the folders on boats for me. ( never had folders that lasted more that 12 months now have one that’s nearly 5 years and going strong )

Delica - just one of those knives I bought with other knives over the years and I have more than a few nowadays scattered throughout the house, garage, 4x4 and one in nearly every bag I own.
That GB1 model kind of reminds me of the earlier versions of the Manix and Chinook models.

Every generation of the Delica is great for a hard use EDC. My favorite Delica was the ZDP-189 version.
standy99

Post by standy99 »

When you see reviews like this on the GB1

( a 5 year review beats any of the slick new release reviews by the YouTube cardboard cutters )

A knife maker that rates it as the best Spyderco knife made.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=75846
Im a vegetarian as technically cows are made of grass and water.
VooDooChild

Post by VooDooChild »

"Rome's greatest contribution to mathematics was the killing of Archimedes."
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

Watu - different, cuts like Mushashi’s katana, feels like it was made for my hand, a strange beauty that resonates perfectly with my mind.

Para 3 - just what the child of the Military should be. Lightening fast should you need it to be. Handle sized for the hand, blade for work. About as perfect an EDC as it gets.

One-Eyed Jack - Right there with the Para 3, the One-Eyed Jack is a classic gentleman’s folder as beautiful as it is functional.

Gauls Bradley 2 - Beautiful, classic cutting machine dressed up for Sunday-go-to-meeting or the annual hog butchering.
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

http://acehotel.blog

Team Innovation
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

That is a tough question. There a number of models that I like for various reasons, but my favorites from this timeframe would have to be these (in no particular order):

1. Starmate (original)
2. C-50 Centofante
3. Wegner (large)
4. Walker
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

SpyderNut wrote:
Mon May 11, 2020 12:51 pm
That is a tough question. There a number of models that I like for various reasons, but my favorites from this timeframe would have to be these (in no particular order):

1. Starmate (original)
2. C-50 Centofante
3. Wegner (large)
4. Walker
You don't know how hard I've looked and searched for a C-50 Centofante. That knife was just great in PE & SE both. That Wegner and the Impala both were Spyderco's best Hunter-Folders up till now.

How cool it would be to have the Wegner model and Impala model with a newer/better blade steel. The Impala was just simply ahead of it's time.

The C-50 Centofante may be one of the most difficult to find of all older Spyders. If you find one then jump on it because they don't show up very often.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

I find it strange that I talk to so many fellow knife nuts that sing the praises of the C-60 Ayoob model but yet you hear so little about it on the Forums anymore :confused:

Also I wish that Massad Ayoob would do another design for Spyderco. The C-60 was such a versatile and ergonomic design that I would just love to see what he could follow up with.

Also another older model that I would love to see return as a permanent fixture in the main line up>> I'm speaking of the Dodo model. There is so much aftermarket demand for the Dodo I bet if they would do them in another blade steel and make them in a variety of handle materials they probably couldn't keep them on the shelves.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Of those no longer in production, my favorites would be:

Kiwi - love these little guys, have carried one almost every day for 17 years. The bolstered version is, in my opinion, the ultimate in functional jewelry.

Stretch (original version) - ok, the steel and Kraton handle kinda sucked, but that could be replaced. The size has kept it my favorite larger folder.

Jester - specifically the burgundy Micarta version, is a feather light and elegant little key chain knife and another that I've carried regularly for 17 years.

Centofante Memory - can't figure out why, but I love this knife. It's terribly wrong handed, has a gaudy silver GF scale on one side only, and not only lacks a 50/50 choil but has nothing to keep your fingers from its all edge blade. Yet, despite all that, it's my go-to "desk knife" and occasionally finds its way into a pocket when I'm headed into town and need something with a 3" blade. :o
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
PSquared

Post by PSquared »

Hmmm, models that came out between 1990 and 2010 .... my favourites would be (in no particular order) :

Lum Chinese
C25 Centofante
Centofante 3 (released in 2004 and still going unchanged)
Kopa
James Y

Post by James Y »

My favorite discontinued model (LONG discontinued) that I own is my large Wegner. It’s the only Spyderco I have that, for some reason, I’ve always been overly-protective of, even though that wasn’t why I originally purchased it. I don’t recall what year I bought it, maybe 20 years ago?

My favorite models still in production are many. DLC G10 Manix 2, Delica and Endura FFG, PM2, PM3, Military, SS Police, Polkce 4 lightweight. It’s hard to pinpoint a single one. I tend to prefer basic versions, and don’t buy sprints or the most exotic steels. The most “super steel” I have is one of my 4 Militaries is in S100V, and the only sprint I own (I think it’s a sprint) is my PM2 in S35VN and DLC-coated blade.

Jim
GarageBoy

Post by GarageBoy »

Lum Tanto in fixed and folding forms are the platonic ideal of tantos
I always loved the Calypso Jr - inexpensive, lightweight, high performance - sure no 4 way clip, no liners, just FRN, but it works and has great ergos
Centofante III and the cricket are not talked about often, but survive year after year of product cuts
the OG Terzuola and Starmates began this whole collaboration craze
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

James Y wrote:
Tue May 12, 2020 8:48 am
My favorite discontinued model (LONG discontinued) that I own is my large Wegner. It’s the only Spyderco I have that, for some reason, I’ve always been overly-protective of, even though that wasn’t why I originally purchased it. I don’t recall what year I bought it, maybe 20 years ago?

My favorite models still in production are many. DLC G10 Manix 2, Delica and Endura FFG, PM2, PM3, Military, SS Police, Polkce 4 lightweight. It’s hard to pinpoint a single one. I tend to prefer basic versions, and don’t buy sprints or the most exotic steels. The most “super steel” I have is one of my 4 Militaries is in S100V, and the only sprint I own (I think it’s a sprint) is my PM2 in S35VN and DLC-coated blade.

Jim
Yeah I loved those Wegner models myself. The one I liked best was the OCELOT>> had they put a solid handle on it and not those paw prints I would have kept mine for a hunter-folder. That particular era really produced some really classic Spyderco models. The models from that era all fetch some good money on the aftermarket if they are in good shape or NIB.

Yeah I remember when the very first Manix model came about. However I liked the Chinook models just a bit better but they were all well built knives.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

GarageBoy wrote:
Tue May 12, 2020 8:53 am
Lum Tanto in fixed and folding forms are the platonic ideal of tantos
I always loved the Calypso Jr - inexpensive, lightweight, high performance - sure no 4 way clip, no liners, just FRN, but it works and has great ergos
Centofante III and the cricket are not talked about often, but survive year after year of product cuts
the OG Terzuola and Starmates began this whole collaboration craze
I've kept both my Lum Tanto folder and my Burgundy ZDP-189 Caly Jr. They were both Hall Of Fame classics. I can't for the life of me figure why they discontinued the Caly Jr. with the huge popularity that model had.

I still get compliments on my Lum Tanto when I carry it on special occasions. I liked most everything the Bob Lum designed.
jezabel

Post by jezabel »

My top five in no particular order:
  • SE Military
    C83 Persian
    Calypso JR
    Se Ayoob
    C44 Dyad
    • J

... edited
FB04PBB, C07FS4K390, C12GS, C12SBK2, C36GS, C36GTIP, C36CFM390P, C36CFTIP, C36GPBORE, C41BKPS, C44GP&SGY, C46PS, C46GPBK, C52BKP, C52FPGYE, C63G3, C65TIP, C70S, C81FG, C81GS2, C81CFM4P2, C83BM, C83GP2, C101GP, C101GPS, C101CF90VP2, C105, C134CF, C151GODTiPBK
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

Tiny : Roadie
Small: Dragonfly
Medium: Delica
Mid-large:Manix 2 Backlock. (The LW is a close runner up)
Large: Endura
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

jezabel wrote:
Tue May 12, 2020 8:43 pm
My top five in no particular order:
  • SE Military
    C83 Persian
    Calypso JR
    Se Ayoob
    C44 Dyad
Excellent selections. I own 3 out of the 5 and I'll keep them no matter how improved the newer blade steels are. The serrated Ayoob is one cutting beast. It's amazing how the belly part of that knife is so aggressive. That C-60 Ayoob is great in both edge types.

And why they don't bring back the full Spyderedged Military model is just beyond me. The SE Military with 440V is one of my favorite serrated knives ever made.

For a small folder the Caly JR was great in PE & SE both. I just hope that most of these models never die and will be returning in Sprint Runs.
gdwtvb

Post by gdwtvb »

My two favorites:

Ladybug, just cuts and cuts and cuts. Small enough to be unobtrusive and large enough to get 99% of jobs done.

Stealth Chaparral: Perfect EDC do-all blade. Small and classy enough for suit carry, strong and able enough for a day in the yard. I've never felt under knifed when carrying my chap. I've got bigger folders, but if I feel I need more blade than the chap, I'd rather be using a fixed blade.

I've got more but those are my two favorite knives and the most carried and used.

Hopefully new favorite, Pochi. I hope it can replace the Ladybug in performance and pocket-ability.

Grizz
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Of those generations, definitely the Ayoob and Military. I like the Military because I can pick it for almost any generation :D
All SE all the time since 2017
~David