Verifying Worker authenticity (pic heavy)

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
gundamaniac

Verifying Worker authenticity (pic heavy)

Post by gundamaniac »

I'm hoping someone with knowledge of Spyderco history can help me here. I recently purchased a used Worker and was admittedly trigger happy when I did so, as I let the prospect of snagging a vintage Spyderco get the better of my senses. Afterwards, I did some digging around on Spydiewiki to see what variant I ended up getting, and I don't see a listing that matches mine. I'm just hoping I didn't purchase a counterfeit of some sort and would appreciate any help either verifying authenticity or lack thereof.

The main detail that has me in doubt is from Spydiewiki. It notes an original 2 screw clip version with thin handle slabs. The next version had a 3 screw clip with a thick handle slab on the clip side. Even later versions had the 3 screw clip with thick handle slabs on both sides. From what I understand, the thick handle slabs feature chamfering but the thin slabs are just flat with a 90 degree transition to the spine. Based on this, I think what I have is a 3 screw clip with thin handle slabs on both sides. If that's the case...does that mean this is a fake? If it is, the hunt continues for a vintage stainless-handled non-sprint Worker to add to my collection.

Thanks in advance for your help and comments!
Edit: and Happy Mother's Day everyone! :D

IMG_20200510_162656_compress80.jpg
IMG_20200510_162645_compress21.jpg
IMG_20200510_162746_compress75.jpg
IMG_20200510_162800_compress29.jpg
IMG_20200510_162726_compress32.jpg
IMG_20200510_162715_compress72.jpg
SG89

Re: Verifying Worker authenticity (pic heavy)

Post by SG89 »

Looks legit to me. Never heard of a fake stainless Worker
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
BornIn1500

Post by BornIn1500 »

Looks identical to this one. At 11:50 you can get a good view of the spine and both sides are the same thickness and there is no chamfering.

https://youtu.be/_4C1I1neJLA
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Brian,

Looks like a 3rd generation Worker. 1st generation had 2 thin scales and a 2 screw clip. 2nd generation and 1 thick scale and one thin scale and a 3 screw clip. 3rd generation had 2 thick scales and a 3 screw clip.. No chamfers yet.

sal
N. Brian Huegel

Post by N. Brian Huegel »

When was the sharpened cut swedge changed to the longer curved transition wedge as in this Sprint Run Worker?

(https://www.spyderco.com/catalog/detail ... roduct=893)

As I recall both Worker models in the Evolution Set had the newer curved wedge. This is one way to tell the difference between an original two screw and the reproduction from the set. I forgot about the thin vs thick scales. :confused:

Regretfully, we sold all of our Evolution Sets year ago so I have none to compare with my two screw original in our collection. Fortunately, I found this thread:

viewtopic.php?t=27059

brian
gundamaniac

Post by gundamaniac »

sal wrote:
Sun May 10, 2020 7:39 pm
Hi Brian,

Looks like a 3rd generation Worker. 1st generation had 2 thin scales and a 2 screw clip. 2nd generation and 1 thick scale and one thin scale and a 3 screw clip. 3rd generation had 2 thick scales and a 3 screw clip.. No chamfers yet.

sal
Thank you Sal! And thanks N. Brian Huegel! The pictures in that thread really show what the thin scales look like; I didn't realize how thin they really were. I would love a 1st or 2nd generation Worker at some point, but I'm more than thrilled to have a 3rd generation Worker in my collection. The design that started it all! :spyder: :spyder: :spyder: