Which Spyderco is your Gentleman folder?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
acer

Re: Which Spyderco is your Gentleman folder?

Post by acer »

Ukpk blue s110v , caly 3 green g10 dragonfly tattoo. All the best .IN.
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

A Gentleman’s Folder, to me, is a diminutive knife that have been gussied-up. Pocket-jewelry, in other words.

I haven’t pursued such knives, per se, but I do have several smallish and/or slimmish Spydies (CF Chaparral; Kiwi4; Ti Pingo; Dragonfy2; Lil’ Native, for example) that I could use hard because their appearance is not what concerns me.
-Marc (pocketing an S110V Native5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
archangel

Post by archangel »

I own two spydies that I'd put into that category, the Hanan and the Ikuchi.
Michael
48 Spydies, 44 different models, 43 different steels
Grail knife, still to be acquired: original Tuff by Ed Schempp Feel free to help me find one at a reasonable price...
Dazen

Post by Dazen »

PSquared wrote:
Sun May 10, 2020 12:29 pm
There is definitely some disparity on what a “gentleman’s folder” actually is. Rightly or wrongly I see it as a knife that you could carry at a black tie gala function or a board meeting of a publicly listed company ... it’s functional jewellery like an elegant watch. It goes with a very good suit, highly polished shoes and a haircut that I wouldn’t feel comfortable with.

In my mind that rules out FRN scales, pocket clips and anything bigger or more intimidating than a traditional. I’m not even sure single hand openers would fit the bill.

It’s not criticism but I don’t think Spyderco really makes gents folders (by my definition). It’s not their market and it doesn’t need to be. They excel at making good, honest working knives that can last a lifetime. Sure some are prettier than others but they are, at heart, working knives, not pocket jewellery and that is a compliment to the company.

The closest I can think of is probably the GB Air, maybe the Memory but that’s already too big.

My mileage clearly does vary ;)
Pretty much my thoughts exactly.

A GB Air sprint would be amazing, so would Alistar’s slip joint. A smooth CF or Ti UKPK/Urban would be great as well.
Last edited by Dazen on Sun May 10, 2020 4:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dane

“Stop buying your kids what you never had and start teaching them what you never knew!”
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Sun May 10, 2020 11:49 am
I used to rotate between the Centofante 3, Delica Pakkawood and HH UKPK...the UKPK is the only one I have left, so that's it!
You sold your pakkawood?? That's one in my collection that I think is permanently safe.
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.
Tgmr05

Post by Tgmr05 »

CF Chaparral. And the titanium version Chaparrals, not to mention the upcoming sun/moon Chaparral

What used to be considered a gentlemans folder is evolving. I am older, and struggle with it, as well. The current generation may prefer the lw frn, actually, as old traditional black tie labels no longer necessarily apply. An example is a custom $5000.00 1911, vs a custom $5000.00 Glock. Times are changing..
CarlPearson

Post by CarlPearson »

UKPK and Urban for sure are mine
RamZar

Post by RamZar »

Any Chaparral model.
  • I welcome dialog, as long as it remains cordial, constructive and is conducted in a civilized manner. - Titanic: Blood & Steel
  • You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you cannot fool all of the people all of the time. - Abraham Lincoln
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

JuPaul wrote:
Sun May 10, 2020 3:32 pm
TkoK83Spy wrote:
I used to rotate between the Centofante 3, Delica Pakkawood and HH UKPK...the UKPK is the only one I have left, so that's it!
You sold your pakkawood?? That's one in my collection that I think is permanently safe.
I did a couple weeks ago :o I didn't really WANT to, nor did I have too...but realized I really don't carry it often and always reached for the UKPK when looking at something for lighter duty. I regret it though, because my scales were very even with great grain work on both sides compared to many I've seen.

Trying to make room for newer releases I'm eyeing...always told myself it was one I wouldn't sell though. Kinda like my GB2...just didn't like a couple hundred dollars sitting around that could go towards something else in the future :confused:
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
RustyIron

Post by RustyIron »

EVERY knife I carry is a gentleman's knife.

But if your asking what knife I carry when I'm not intending to do real work, then it would be either a Native 2 LW, or a PM2 LH.
Cycletroll

Post by Cycletroll »

Carbon Fiber ZDP-189 Caly 3.5
5-by-5

Post by 5-by-5 »

It's linerless G10. **** light weight, awesome.

ugaarguy

Post by ugaarguy »

The Dice is the smallest Spyderco I own with premium materials. I prefer my slimmer Sage 2, which isn't much longer than the Dice, and has the more discrete wire clip.
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Sun May 10, 2020 4:18 pm
JuPaul wrote:
Sun May 10, 2020 3:32 pm
TkoK83Spy wrote:
I did a couple weeks ago :o I didn't really WANT to, nor did I have too...but realized I really don't carry it often and always reached for the UKPK when looking at something for lighter duty. I regret it though, because my scales were very even with great grain work on both sides compared to many I've seen.

Trying to make room for newer releases I'm eyeing...always told myself it was one I wouldn't sell though. Kinda like my GB2...just didn't like a couple hundred dollars sitting around that could go towards something else in the future :confused:
I definitely get that. I have a few on the chopping block now that are like that - great knives but I rarely carry them, so they gotta go.
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.
SkullBouncer

Post by SkullBouncer »

For me, its my Ti Lum Chinese in VG10... love that knife.

Only other is a cheapish Frost Cutlery slipit in stag scales and brass end caps.
Called the 'steel warrior', it is a pretty knife for what it is but it rarely gets carried. ;)

SB / BRUCE
Superflex

Post by Superflex »

Mine would have to be the Raffir Noble Chaparral and the CF Fradon Lock Delica, although the Delica sits in my desk drawer at the office and only come out for box and package opening.
I thought about getting matching Raffir Noble grips for my CZ 75D PCR, which is my "gentleman" handgun, but the CZ Custom Shop rosewood ones are pretty nice.
bbturbodad

Post by bbturbodad »

McBee
-Turbo
Pokey

Post by Pokey »

A Hanan or a CF Chaparral. They make me look sharp. (Get it?) ;)

Bill
bearrowland

Post by bearrowland »

The mighty Bug!
Barry

Bonne Journey!

For the word of God is living and powerful, and sharper than any two edged sword

Do what you can, where you are, with what you have! Theodore Roosevelt

MNOSD member 0032
FullFlatMind

Post by FullFlatMind »

Chaparral, Mantra 2, or Kapara