Status of the Native Chief

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
FeistyKat

Status of the Native Chief

Post by FeistyKat »

Hi, all-

I'm looking to buy a Native Chief. I'm still dithering over whether or not to wait for the Sprint Run or get one with S30V (leaning towards the S30V.)

The S30V appears to be sold out in most knife stores, but they are still available on Amazon.

So, what I'm hoping you can tell me is:
1. Will there be more S30V Chiefs coming out, or is this it?

2. If there are more S30V Chiefs on the way, will they be the same as the 2019 model? Or updated for 2020?

3. Any idea when the Chief Sprint Run will be available?

Best,

Chris
Michael Janich

Re: Status of the Native Chief

Post by Michael Janich »

Hey, Chris:

The Native Chief in CPM S30V is a member of Spyderco's regular product line, so it will be around for the foreseeable future. Spyderco currently has them in stock, as do many online retailers. To my knowledge, there are no plans to change the design anytime soon.

Stay safe,

Mike
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

Getting in on sprints/exclusives is not a sure thing. Even so, I’m looking forward to the S90V Chief, but I already have the S30V one (and love it). One in the hand is worth two in the bush.
-Marc (pocketing an S110V Native5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

FeistyKat wrote:
Sun May 10, 2020 1:41 am
Hi, all-

I'm looking to buy a Native Chief. I'm still dithering over whether or not to wait for the Sprint Run or get one with S30V (leaning towards the S30V.)

The S30V appears to be sold out in most knife stores, but they are still available on Amazon.

regular production

2. If there are more S30V Chiefs on the way, will they be the same as the 2019 model? Or updated for 2020?

cutleryshoppe.com has the regular and the Hap40 Sprint in stock now. The new Sprint will be within 90 days.

Best,

Chris
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
RadioactiveSpyder

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

Hi Chris, as Mike Janich mentioned, the Chief is a regular production model and I’m not even sure what possible “improvements” you were looking for given how much the Chief reflects the best of some of Golden’s capabilities - it’s super light with its linerless G10, a tremendously strong backlock and best of all it’s a “true” Native family member (not that weird compression lock monster that does definitely need some CQI!).

There are several Chiefs in the queue that should be due either imminently (the burnt orange Rex45 sprint) or within the next few months (the glorious CF S90V sprint). Although not officially mentioned yet, I heard directly from a large shop owner at Blade Show West who routinely commissions exclusives that theirs was also due out soon. I promised I would not reveal the exact details but you do have some nice options coming soon besides the S30V model. :)

P.S. There’s certainly no HAP40 Chief ;) The CS one is the yet-to-be-released Rex45 one... It’s just listed on their site along with all other previously announced upcoming models.
It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
thewoodpecker

Post by thewoodpecker »

FeistyKat wrote:
Sun May 10, 2020 1:41 am
Hi, all-

Best,

Chris
In-stock at GPKnives. Far as I can tell there has been no CQI on these. Drooling on both sprints at this point...now to decide which one!

https://www.gpknives.com/spyderco-nativ ... 244gp.html
Spyderco Caly 3.5 Super Blue user, Astute enthusiast, and geometry advocate.
FeistyKat

Post by FeistyKat »

RadioactiveSpyder wrote:
Mon May 11, 2020 9:14 am
There are several Chiefs in the queue...the burnt orange Rex45 sprint...the glorious CF S90V sprint...large shop owner at Blade Show West

I discovered the S90V Chief after creating this post. Now I'm in a real quandry: I'm going to pass on the Rex 45 Chief, but I can't make my mind up on S30V vs S90V. I'm spending way too much time reading about various metals. I should probably get both (assuming I will be able to score an S90V), then I can compare the two steels for myself.

And now there's a 4th option to consider.

Is it possible to have too many Native Chiefs? Somehow I doubt it...
shunsui

Post by shunsui »

Focus on the sprint runs. You can always pick up a production S30V later on.

If you find you don't like the knife or a steel, you can easily sell a sprint over at Bladeforums.