So... how is the spydiechef for lefties?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
lonerider1013

So... how is the spydiechef for lefties?

Post by lonerider1013 »

Thinking about the spydiechef or kapara. The kapara seems more ambi friendly but the spydiechef just seems so awesome (and I do often prepare food lol!) Any idea how the chef is for lefties? It looks like the hole is half hidden on that side and only relieved on the other, but am curious if it can still be reliably opened lefty.

lonerider
"A fool's blade may be sharper than his brain"
“Learn to ride a bicycle. You will not regret it if you live." - Mark Twain
imjohnsmith

Re: So... how is the spydiechef for lefties?

Post by imjohnsmith »

Great Idea!!!
selrahc

Post by selrahc »

I really liked the knife and it was easy enough for me to spydie flick, but I eventually sold it because I wished it was easier to open normally with the thumb. I was able to fit the side tip of my left thumb to access the hole with my slim medium sized hands. I ended up getting the kapara and like it a lot more. The only thing I miss from the spydiechef was that it is a salt series knife.
silvershade255

Post by silvershade255 »

I had no problem flicking it open, or if I wanted I could push it partially open with my index and finish with my thumb.
"Seven for One"
shaztec

Post by shaztec »

Spydie flick is the answer, I resisted at first and skipped the chef and bowie, eventually got a chef and loved it, missed out on the bowie however...
shaztecs_knives on instagram
lonerider1013

Post by lonerider1013 »

Thanks all.
It is hard to decide on some of these knives because a lot of brick and mortar stores won't let you in to try em these days! I was fortunate to have a spydie dealer within driving distance; prefer to see the stuff myself but the collective experience of the forum is the next best thing!
"A fool's blade may be sharper than his brain"
“Learn to ride a bicycle. You will not regret it if you live." - Mark Twain
Senfkarte

Post by Senfkarte »

Since the Spydiechef is praised by many, I took a deeper look at the knife. It seems it's not very left-hand friendly.
From pictures, it looks like half of the hole is covered in case of left-hand use. Is it possible, but hard, to open the Spydiechef with the left hand and the hole or is the flick the only viable option?
Closing is no problem, I close my knives with two hands most of the time anyway.
skeeg11

Post by skeeg11 »

I'm a rightie and there is just enough hole exposed to Spydieflick. It is the most Spydierflickable knife I own. I can't help but imagine that it is a leftie Spydieflicker's dream.
nerdlock

Post by nerdlock »

Very easy to spydie flick left handed! In fact all of my Slysz models are easy to left hand flick. So flicky for me, that I have to remind myself not to over-flick it because it may introduce premature wear on the lock interface, and my lockup is already more than 50%.
8Cr13MoV:N690Co:VG10:S30V:S35VN:S45VN:Elmax:SPY27:H1:LC200N:4V:MagnaCut:CTS-XHP:204P:M390:20CV:Cru-Wear:Z-Wear:M4:Rex-45:10V:K390:15V:S90V:Z-Max:Maxamet
GiftedMisfit

Post by GiftedMisfit »

Right handed compression lock VS right handed frame lock. Once you teach yourself it just becomes second nature, either way. I've both of these beauties, I really couldn't choose one over the other, they are very different as well. Titanium VS CF. S30V/20cv VS LC200N. As far as opening the chef goes - I can fit the side of my thumb in the hole and use it that way, but I prefer to spydie flick it anywho. My hands are large and can still reliably open it either way.

Honestly they're both real nice pieces and I wouldn't want to choose between them, buuut I've been in the kaparas camp since day 1, I've bought the knife twice because of some sticky digits. I absolutely love it. Plus that contoured CF is luxury.

:cussing
ladybug93 wrote: And now I'm wondering how a translator will render "butt hurt"
Senfkarte

Post by Senfkarte »

GiftedMisfit wrote:
Tue May 18, 2021 4:20 pm
Right handed compression lock VS right handed frame lock. Once you teach yourself it just becomes second nature, either way. I've both of these beauties, I really couldn't choose one over the other, they are very different as well. Titanium VS CF. S30V/20cv VS LC200N. As far as opening the chef goes - I can fit the side of my thumb in the hole and use it that way, but I prefer to spydie flick it anywho. My hands are large and can still reliably open it either way.

Honestly they're both real nice pieces and I wouldn't want to choose between them, buuut I've been in the kaparas camp since day 1, I've bought the knife twice because of some sticky digits. I absolutely love it. Plus that contoured CF is luxury.

Thanks. So it is possible, just not as easy/comfortable as with the right hand. That was the information, I was looking for.
Mr Blonde

Post by Mr Blonde »

skeeg11 wrote:
Tue May 18, 2021 3:31 pm
I'm a rightie and there is just enough hole exposed to Spydieflick. It is the most Spydierflickable knife I own. I can't help but imagine that it is a leftie Spydieflicker's dream.
I have the same experience. The SpydieChef works fine for me as a lefty, I didn't even switch the clip because I hate the aesthetics of the lefty clip on the 'presentation side' of the SpydieChef. It works fine for me. However, the Kapara gets way more pocket time with me. To me, it's a lot more lefty-friendly.
My Spyderco Pics & Reviews: www.spydercollector.com
Last website update: 3-11-2024 Instagram