My Military conundrum.

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
TheGiant80

My Military conundrum.

Post by TheGiant80 »

About a year ago I acquired one of my “grail” knives; a titanium Spyderco Military. I love the thing, but recently I’ve been thinking about picking up a lighter weight option in the same pattern. My Millie Ti isn’t exactly a pocket brick, but I’ve spoken to a few people who sing the praises of the G10 Military and it’s insane size-to-weight ratio. Much better for EDC.

My dealer is currently selling the black on black S30V variant for a decent price. The issue is, the blurple S110V Millie is only $10 CAD more. I’m a HUGE fan of extreme stain resistance and edge holding capability, but not so much a fan of the nightmare I’d need to endure to sharpen S110V.

Really not sure which way to go here. If the prices weren’t so close, I wouldn’t be conflicted at all. Is the performance jump between these two steels worth the headache and patience required to keep S110V scary sharp?
abbazaba

Re: My Military conundrum.

Post by abbazaba »

In my experience S110v doesn't stay scary sharp very long, but it cuts forever. S110v is "nearly" rust proof, so you gain longer cutting ability and better corrosion resistance. The right sharpening tools will help alot, but not letting it get dull is key to saving time.

However, S30v is definitely easier to keep scary sharp. I'd have a tough time not going premium blurple for $10, and if you turn out to prefer S30v, you can more than likely blade swap (if they are both CQI).
Tucson Tom

Post by Tucson Tom »

This will sound silly, but my advice is to go with whatever scale color you prefer.

S30V is just great stuff. My esteem for it keeps going up, especially in a knife from Spyderco. If it was me, I would probably go for the S30V. I have come to appreciate more well balanced steels and I am willing to put S30V into that category. I tend to think of S110V as a "poor man's Maxamet", but stainless. Certainly nothing wrong with it. My world view currently leans towards steels that cooperate with me when sharpening, and so far S30V is friendly towards my sharpening skills. You won't go wrong either way certainly.
Cycletroll

Post by Cycletroll »

I have many variants of the Military including G10, G10/Ti, and Ti scales. The G10 is by far the best all around strength to weight balance imo. As far as steel, s30v is probably the most balanced. Question is do YOU like it? Given you have experience with s30v already ask yourself would you be happy with its performance?
I've had an s110v Mille and its the one variant I got rid of. Can't stand the scale color and for the very slight edge wear resistance over s90v its just not worth the added sharpening effort. For that matter the 204p variant might be right up your alley- slightly better wear resistance than s30v, better toughness and stellar stain resistance all wrapped up in a nice forest green scale (only available on the secondary market though).
carrot

Post by carrot »

There’s a little misinformation going around about S110V.

If you really screw it up, yes, you will want diamonds for the cutting speed to bring it back up. However, a touch up here and there on brown stones will bring it right back up to crazy sharp. I’ve even restored cutting power just stropping it.

I’m a fan. Don’t be dissuaded away from S110V, it’s such a great steel with crazy rust resistance and edge holding. Just don’t pry with it.
dan31

Post by dan31 »

I would go with the S110v. Definitely the better value at the offers price. You become a better sharpener.
I’m considering paying up for he 52100 Military. Just can’t bring myself to pull the trigger, that and I picked up several knives last year.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

It's a lot easier to keep sharp if you just don't let it get super dull. If you have a Sharpmaker just touch it up often. As long as you don't damage the edge you'll be fine.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Bill1170

Post by Bill1170 »

S110V is wonderful in a work knife. As others noted up thread, it is responsive to brown Sharpmaker rods for maintenance and to diamond plates for damage repair. I’ve done rough cutting that would destroy other steels and been astonished at how well S110V has held up, taking no visible damage.
prndltech

Post by prndltech »

Looks like I’ll be the first to say it.... GET BOTH!

Or pick one now... and the other later.

This is a win win situation. You can’t go wrong.

I know I didn’t help answer your question. You’re welcome :p
- Shannon

MNOSD 0006
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

I think the S110V Military represents exceptional value for money. However S30V in the same knife is no slouch.

In my layman’s experience I can’t pick any major difference between either steel in an EDC pocket knife. I’ve found if I start with both S30V and S110V blades sharpened the same way to about the same level of sharpness, if I cut a couple of hundred linear feet of the same cardboard they’re either as sharp or as blunt as each other.

Having said that, the more you cut the further S110V will overhaul S30V.

I s’pose what I’m trying to say is you’ll likely not cut hundreds of linear feet of cardboard or similar on any given day so it’s unlikely you’ll see any significant difference in the two steels in a knife you carry in your pocket to whittle toothpicks, cut sandwiches and peel apples.

Just my $AU0.02c worth. :)
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

I had the S110V Military for a few months. With the fear of sharpening being a daunting task, I would give it a touch up every few days after use, just to avoid a possible issue with sharpening.

I did end up selling it though because at the time I found it a bit too large (though not these days) but also, I couldn't stand those color handle scales.

I have to agree with others, there's nothing wrong with the S30V and it will be even easier maintain. Go for it!
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
JMM

Post by JMM »

I'd say it ultimately depends on how you intend on using the knife, and how familiar/comfortable you are sharpening each steel. I personally don't care for s110v, in my experience it doesn't keep a keen edge for nearly as long as it's reputation would imply, and I don't like sharpening it... I know there are folks that are handy at sharpening it and love it, kudos to them, but I'd go S30V, it's still a good CPM steel and it's cake to get it really sharp... just my2c... ;)
zuludelta

Post by zuludelta »

I suggest buying the one which you are more likely to use & carry. I hate having money tied up in a knife I rarely or don't use. I guess I'm more of a "user" than a "collector" in this way. That's just one guy's opinion, though.
jdw

Post by jdw »

It's hard to beat the basic S30V model if you want it as a general use knife. If you want it for endless slicing then I would go with the S110V.
Do right always. It will give you satisfaction in life.
--Wovoka
dj moonbat

Post by dj moonbat »

I didn’t find 110 to be all that hard to sharpen. At a $10 difference, I’d go 110 any day and twice on Sunday.
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

I guess you don't really know how hard S110V will be for you to sharpen until you try. For what it's worth, I fixed what I thought was a pretty badly rolled edge on my Rex 45 Para 3 using just the Sharpmaker and brown rods. It didn't really take that long, maybe half an hour including stopping to check the edge with a loupe pretty often. Supposedly the Rex45 is at like 67rc, so it should be pretty hard to sharpen.

I think the key, like David and others have mentioned above, is to just not let it get too dull.

Honestly the biggest reason I haven't purchased S110V yet is the blurple scale color just does not do it for me. If I found a screaming deal on an S110V Military I think some micarta scales would be purchased at the same time.
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
T-1000

Post by T-1000 »

I love my s110v military, one of my top 3 favorite knives. Not sure why everyone is so scared of sharpening it. It doesn’t require any special skills, just takes a few more passes on the stone. I freehand sharpen mine and touch it up on the ceramic rods to get it crazy sharp. Holds an edge forever and basically rust proof which suits my environment way better than a k390 or something similar. I’d go with the s110 unless you were really in love with a certain scale color, as someone else said. S30v is no slouch either, it’s a great all around steel, I just think all the good qualities of s30v are a tad better in the s110.
elena86

Post by elena86 »

Tucson Tom wrote:
Fri May 08, 2020 4:34 pm
This will sound silly, but my advice is to go with whatever scale color you prefer.

S30V is just great stuff. My esteem for it keeps going up, especially in a knife from Spyderco. If it was me, I would probably go for the S30V. I have come to appreciate more well balanced steels and I am willing to put S30V into that category. I tend to think of S110V as a "poor man's Maxamet", but stainless. Certainly nothing wrong with it. My world view currently leans towards steels that cooperate with me when sharpening, and so far S30V is friendly towards my sharpening skills. You won't go wrong either way certainly.

Wise words ....
Marius

" A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it "
( Rabindranath Tagore )

Proud member of the old school spyderedge nation :bug-white-red
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

My current biggest complaint about the C-36 Military model is that they are currently not available in full Spyderedge. I use an M390 Military model for my main EDC and have for a while now. But the Military is one model I would also love in Spyderedge. I even think that the Military models is one of the few models I would even love in CE ( Combo Edge). The blade on the C-36 Military is long enough to fully utilize a combo edge very efficiently IMO.

To me the C-36 and the PARA2 are two of the very best utility and hard use folders. Just the fact that the C-36 has been in the main line up since the mid 90s speaks for itself.
Colorodo

Post by Colorodo »

I have a Fluted Titanium Military and wanted something lighter and the new Endura in S30V was just the ticket.