S45VN Sprint Run

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
SG89

Re: S45VN Sprint Run

Post by SG89 »

I totally understand delays but for a week to go buy without an online tracking update is strange. I do most of my shopping online anyway and during covid19 I haven't seen any other usps packages delayed. Guess I've been lucky.
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

I live in Central New York, our state has the tightest restrictions of all, even though NYC is really like a separate state from us, but it is what it is according to Cuomo. I work in shipping/receiving. My USPS/UPS and various FedEx divisions all have said they have A LOT more packages coming in from everyone ordering things from home, but also less workers at their facilities. Their all a bit overwhelmed right now. I'm sure its similar all across the country though.
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Sat May 09, 2020 6:44 pm
I live in Central New York, our state has the tightest restrictions of all, even though NYC is really like a separate state from us, but it is what it is according to Cuomo. I work in shipping/receiving. My USPS/UPS and various FedEx divisions all have said they have A LOT more packages coming in from everyone ordering things from home, but also less workers at their facilities. Their all a bit overwhelmed right now. I'm sure its similar all across the country though.
Yep, definitely a time to be patient and grateful to postal workers and delivery drivers!
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.
JMM

Post by JMM »

Here's a bit better picture, 3 Forest Green and 1 British Racing Green....

Azilla21

Post by Azilla21 »

D58130F4-0515-4D37-AE16-75E4453E00AD.jpeg
senorsquare

Post by senorsquare »

Mine arrived yesterday and first impressions are favorable. Out of the box sharpness is very good and this was able to cleanly slice a sheet of free hanging phone book paper. Action was a bit stiff but a hair of a turn on the pivot screw has it drop-shutty with no effect on lockup. The texture on the scales feels nice but I can maybe see the potential for some pocket shredding with a tight clip (as always, it gets a Lynch) but this may not be an issue.

My only complaint is that I really, really, really wish that Spyderco would chamfer the edges of their PM2 scales. These sharp edges create hotspots with hard cutting. If I hang on to this one I’ll either get some aftermarket scales or modify these to add some scallops at the finger choils to match the Native 5 (see comparison pic below). Easing the edges just a little goes a long way towards comfort. They do this on the Para 3's so I know it's possible for the PM2.

All in all it's a very nice knife. I’ll be interested to see how this steel holds up and sharpens. I'm not expecting super crazy edge retention but if this sharpens and maintains as easily as CPM-Cruwear then I'll be pretty satisfied with this steel.

SpyderGrill

Post by SpyderGrill »

I got mine today. I was not planning on buying this, having many opportunities at several places as they came available. I alerted others who wanted it, but still passed on it. Then it came back again at one seller and I decided to buy it.

Fresh out of the box, the blade is drop shut. It has slight, and I mean slight, side to side blade play but nothing to worry about. It is razor sharp cutting computer paper and shaving hair. Blade center is perfect.

The scales to me are perfect and really look nice,although forest green is not my color, I still like it a lot. My hands swet a lot so some knives are slippery for me, especially metal scales. No hot spots on the edges as many online reviews. In and out of the pocket seems to be ok without hangup.

After flicking it open and shut a hundred times, it developed a little lock stick. A drop of mineral oil on the stop pin eliminated that.

Im glad I ended up buying this one. Here are a couple pics I tried to capture of the scale texture with my cheap cell phone

JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

senorsquare wrote:
Sun May 10, 2020 6:12 am

So, not a problem, just an interesting observation: your clip side scale seems to show white in the recessed areas of the g10 texture. The show side scale on mine is this way, too, but the clip side scale is a solid uniform green. Anyone else notice this on one or both of their scales?
- Julia

autoxer

Post by autoxer »

JuPaul wrote:
Wed May 13, 2020 10:29 pm
So, not a problem, just an interesting observation: your clip side scale seems to show white in the recessed areas of the g10 texture. The show side scale on mine is this way, too, but the clip side scale is a solid uniform green. Anyone else notice this on one or both of their scales?

I noticed the same thing, and can confirm that mine has some white in the recessed areas on the clip side, but is uniform on the show side.
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

autoxer wrote:
Wed May 13, 2020 10:44 pm
JuPaul wrote:
Wed May 13, 2020 10:29 pm

I noticed the same thing, and can confirm that mine has some white in the recessed areas on the clip side, but is uniform on the show side.
Any guesses as to what's going on? I got nothin' other than some issue in the manufacturing process.
- Julia

DTPrime

Post by DTPrime »

There does appear to be some variation from the texturing process, most seem to have at least some lighter grooved areas, a few have it across a whole scale or none at all but those both seem to be the minority. Was a little put off by it at first but a buddy applied a small amount of tuf glide to a spot on his and it darkened it uniformly with the rest of the handle and mine darkened from use after a couple days presumably from skin oil. YMMV obviously but was an easy fix for us.
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

DTPrime wrote:
Thu May 14, 2020 8:03 am
There does appear to be some variation from the texturing process, most seem to have at least some lighter grooved areas, a few have it across a whole scale or none at all but those both seem to be the minority. Was a little put off by it at first but a buddy applied a small amount of tuf glide to a spot on his and it darkened it uniformly with the rest of the handle and mine darkened from use after a couple days presumably from skin oil. YMMV obviously but was an easy fix for us.
Oh yeah, not a problem for me, just an observation and a curiosity about the new texturing.
- Julia

autoxer

Post by autoxer »

JuPaul wrote:
Thu May 14, 2020 8:17 am
DTPrime wrote:
Thu May 14, 2020 8:03 am
Oh yeah, not a problem for me, just an observation and a curiosity about the new texturing.

Same here, not an issue but I did notice it. It is really hard to capture in a photo but really easy to see in person.

Clip side - area of discussion is center of the scale, effect is worse toward the side that is at the bottom of this photo:

Show side - looks flawless on my knife:

I noticed something (also hard to see in a photo, but easy to see in person) on the edge of the G10 of my knife. There is a layer with some G10 that is not colored the same way, and it stands out when you look at the sides of the scales. They show up here as a short "dotted line":

I realize that this looks very minor in the photos, but I just can't capture it with my mobile phone's camera. Anyhow, I wonder if there are some areas of the G10 that didn't take the color as well, and those are showing through in the machining of the G10 pattern? Just a wild guess.

I will be interested to see if what DTPrime said happens to mine, where it evens out over time / with use. Admittedly, I have not had the chance to use the knife a whole lot yet - just cut up some fruit mainly. Either way, I plan to use and enjoy the knife!
VooDooChild

Post by VooDooChild »

G10 is resin impregnated fiberglass. So if you mill it, depending on what the stacked layers of fiberglass were doing in suspension, you can have areas of the glass catch the light and appear white. This would also explain why oil made it stop. I would bet if it got wet in any way it would cut the effect. Of course if you use water the water will dry and it will probably come back.

I wouldnt think of it as exposed glass either. Although by the nature of cutting into g10 there probably is some small level of exposed glass fibers, but not enough to worry about. Think of it like different levels of a sanded finish. If you wet sand fiberglass to a high polish finish it will be almost like a mirror. Then if you run a really coarse piece of sandpaper over a spot, you will see the contrast in the sanding lines, and the glass and resin will catch the light at the coarse lines differently and more noticeably. Thats about it.
"Rome's greatest contribution to mathematics was the killing of Archimedes."