Pacific Salt on markdown

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Rambo241

Pacific Salt on markdown

Post by Rambo241 »

I’m a little late to the game and just noticed that a new pacific salt is replacing the old one. I used to have a black blade and handle (C91PBBK) pacific salt but lost it. I’d like to get another before they are gone. Are they on clearance anywhere? I saw some on eBay, but am afraid that they are fake.
Wartstein

Re: Pacific Salt on markdown

Post by Wartstein »

Have you ever tried the Pac Salt 2?
It has the exact same handle as the Endura 4 (but linerless), maybe you´d even prefer that over the Pac Salt 1 handle (I certainly do prefer the Pac Salt 2 handle, others don´t like the finger placements)

/ On the Pac Salt 1 (discontinued): A quick search brought up several stores that still carry it, both in Europe (where I live), and in the US. Here is just one random example (don´t know that store personally): https://www.knifecountryusa.com/shop/ma ... eries.html

But when ordering a Pac Salt 1 I´d make sure that whatever store really does send you the old model, and not just haven´t exchanged the pics on their homepage yet.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Nate

Post by Nate »

Cycletroll wrote:
Fri May 08, 2020 12:32 pm
https://www.ebay.com/p/15033927391

Just grabbed one of these, crazy deal. Serrated dlc would have been my first choice, but for a $40 difference I think the PE will be just fine. :)
:spyder:
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

https://www.dickssportinggoods.com/p/sp ... sltyllwcut

Spyderco's website still has the PE black handle model, too.
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.
Rambo241

Post by Rambo241 »

Do you guys think the ones on eBay are the real or is it to good to be true?
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

On ebay, check out the seller ratings, and make sure the seller is in the U.S. If you're still unsure, contact the seller directly to see if they're an actual dealer. Pay with paypal, then if you do get a fake you're protected through ebay and through paypal.

Otherwise, Knifeworks still has some:

https://knifeworks.com/search.php?searc ... on=product
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.
Nate

Post by Nate »

Rambo241 wrote:
Sat May 09, 2020 8:36 am
Do you guys think the ones on eBay are the real or is it to good to be true?

I paid with Paypal and am comfortable with the risk. Iirc, the only fake Salt out there was a Dragonfly some years ago. Guess it's posssible that more fakes are out there, but kind of hard to fake a rustproof steel.
:spyder:
DougC-3

Post by DougC-3 »

I just ordered a "BBK" SE Pacific Salt from Knifeworks yesterday. This knife and the Manix2, pictured in profile on Amazon, were really what first drew me to Spydero many years ago. At that time I bought the yellow Pac Salt instead (not from Azn), thinking that the black/black one would be too scary for NKP (DOH! Always buy the one you want -- you'll wind up getting it eventually anyway ;) ) The $98.80 was 21 cents below the >$99 free shipping cutoff, but I was pleasantly surprised that my final price was only $105.75. I had to get one of these before they were all gone.

So apparently, the cheap ones on the bay were all yellow version.
K-390 on hand: Mule Team 17, Police 4 G-10, Endela (burlap micarta), Endela backup, Endura (canvas micarta), Straight Stretch (now blade-swapped with G-10 Stretch), Delica Wharncliffe, Dragonfly Wharncliffe, & Dragonfly Wharncliffe shorty mod
Note to self: Less is more.
Joey

Post by Joey »

I have personally bought near 5 of them from eBay, all were 100% as expected. They had black blades, black handles, in PE, and all were 100% new/unused/authentic CQI models. To top it off, each were around $50-$60. They’re my go-to gift knife, since this is how I was first introduced to Spyderco.

I don’t understand how so many of you feel negatively towards eBay regarding authentic Spyderco’s. The fake ones are so blatant. They normally are a completely different shade of color, a differently finished handle or blade, and ship from Romania/Lithuania. There are others that come closer, like the all black PM2’s, but even those have funky finishes, shapes, and beveled edges on the G10, etc... If you happen to somehow get fooled, eBay and PayPal together will back your purchase 100%. 95% of my purchases have arrived as expected.
DougC-3

Post by DougC-3 »

Joey wrote:
Sat May 09, 2020 3:32 pm
I have personally bought near 5 of them from eBay, all were 100% as expected. They had black blades, black handles, in PE, and all were 100% new/unused/authentic CQI models. To top it off, each were around $50-$60. They’re my go-to gift knife, since this is how I was first introduced to Spyderco.

I don’t understand how so many of you feel negatively towards eBay regarding authentic Spyderco’s. The fake ones are so blatant. They normally are a completely different shade of color, a differently finished handle or blade, and ship from Romania/Lithuania. There are others that come closer, like the all black PM2’s, but even those have funky finishes, shapes, and beveled edges on the G10, etc... If you happen to somehow get fooled, eBay and PayPal together will back your purchase 100%. 95% of my purchases have arrived as expected.
I've wondered about that too. I've only ever wound up with one fake -- I ordered a Manix and was sent an obvious fake PM2, which I returned for a refund. The fakes I've seen on ebay have looked ridiculously obvious, but if they'd been really good fakes, I guess I wouldn't have known they were fakes, haha. As for the black blade SE ones, I've searched on ebay the last couple of weeks and haven't seen any below about $110. I should have looked as soon as they were discontinued -- also missed out on some like new ones auctioned off for ~ $58-70.
K-390 on hand: Mule Team 17, Police 4 G-10, Endela (burlap micarta), Endela backup, Endura (canvas micarta), Straight Stretch (now blade-swapped with G-10 Stretch), Delica Wharncliffe, Dragonfly Wharncliffe, & Dragonfly Wharncliffe shorty mod
Note to self: Less is more.