Siren is shipping *alert*

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
JohnAPA

Siren is shipping *alert*

Post by JohnAPA »

Just got text from KC. It's in the mail.
shunsui

Re: Siren is shipping *alert*

Post by shunsui »

You're going to like it. They did a really good job on it.
blueblur

Post by blueblur »

I agree. There are so many things to like about this one. The way this back lock turned out, it’s rising to become my favorite lock type and I would love to see more models with this level of coarse texture in the G10. The accented liners are also a nice touch and although I love the way my hand locks into the Manix, the neutral handle of the siren allows for many different grip options. A cool design and the quality of the fit and finish is top notch.
I_like_knives

Post by I_like_knives »

I got a shipping confirmation email from KnifeCenter last night as well. Should be here Tuesday!
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

blueblur wrote:
Fri May 08, 2020 4:58 am
I agree. There are so many things to like about this one. The way this back lock turned out, it’s rising to become my favorite lock type and I would love to see more models with this level of coarse texture in the G10. The accented liners are also a nice touch and although I love the way my hand locks into the Manix, the neutral handle of the siren allows for many different grip options. A cool design and the quality of the fit and finish is top notch.
Hey Blueblur, thanks for the nice words on the design and I agree, Spyderco did a really great job with the Siren. I’m hesitant to comment because my opinion is probably less meaningful because of my personal bias but I have a couple of thoughts I’ll share that are completely objective. I went with a backlock on the Siren because I like the lock for hard use and it was a lock that I knew would work well in a linerless Salt knife. I also had great confidence in Spyderco’s backlock. In my opinion, Golden is making the best backlocks of any production company right now. Their tolerances are incredibly tight and they seem to keep improving with each new model. I can also say objectively that my two Sirens are the smoothest of any backlocks I’ve ever owned, Golden made or otherwise. I didn’t really design the Siren to be a fidgeter’s knife but with how smooth the lock is and all the different ways you can flick, manipulate and close it, I think it qualifies as “fidget friendly”. That has actually been a very pleasant surprise. Big props to Spyderco for redefining what a backlock can be!
AwayFromMySpydieHole

Post by AwayFromMySpydieHole »

I’m about to go on our annual vacation in 3 weeks and I always spend about 15 days of our trip fishing for reds. I use my salt knives extensively during this time.

For the past 5 years I’ve used a Pac Salt. Hoping this knife becomes available in the next couple of weeks so I can get it here in time for my fishing.

There is nothing sweeter than sunset when a school of reds come by and just hit one after another, using live bait you got with a cast net earlier that day. Then it’s a bunch of fish to clean.

Please siren, come in stock somewhere stat!
BDNX

Post by BDNX »

Anyone here got a preorder from KnifeJoker? I’m still waiting on that first preorder to fill. Hopefully soon....
selrahc

Post by selrahc »

AwayFromMySpydieHole wrote:
Fri May 08, 2020 4:33 pm
I’m about to go on our annual vacation in 3 weeks and I always spend about 15 days of our trip fishing for reds. I use my salt knives extensively during this time.

For the past 5 years I’ve used a Pac Salt. Hoping this knife becomes available in the next couple of weeks so I can get it here in time for my fishing.

There is nothing sweeter than sunset when a school of reds come by and just hit one after another, using live bait you got with a cast net earlier that day. Then it’s a bunch of fish to clean.

I just ordered mine from knife works today. Still says in stock

Edit: no longer in stock
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

AwayFromMySpydieHole wrote:
Fri May 08, 2020 4:33 pm

Just saw one on Amazon.
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

Still kind of hard to find but looks like DLT has a few now.
Ez556

Post by Ez556 »

Surfingringo wrote:
Fri May 08, 2020 4:29 pm
I can also say objectively that my two Sirens are the smoothest of any backlocks I’ve ever owned, Golden made or otherwise. I didn’t really design the Siren to be a fidgeter’s knife but with how smooth the lock is and all the different ways you can flick, manipulate and close it, I think it qualifies as “fidget friendly”.
Being completely transparent, the Siren did not appeal to me at all when it was first revealed because the look and shape just wasn’t jiving with me. I really liked the look of the Waterway but not the translation into a folder for whatever reason. After thinking today about what I want in my next knife purchase I decided something American made with LC200N steel and a long blade that can do food prep is what I’m gonna be looking for, and seeing as though a Native Chief Salt doesn’t exist, I started taking another look at the Siren. After reading all the specs, and seeing your video from the kayak I’m completely sold. Seeing how flippy it was was one of the biggest things that sold me honestly. I have ADHD and idly play with my knifes all the time, as I was watching your video I was actually on lunch at work flipping my Dragonfly open and closed! I’m really looking forward to trying out a Siren though, I don’t have any experience with Golden backlocks but that action looks incredible. Looks like it’s just a well designed and built knife all around.
Likes FRN
:spyder: MEMBER OF THE CRUWEAR NATION :spyder:
sal wrote:
Sun Aug 04, 2019 7:28 am
But in reality, there is nothing quite like a gun. And it has been said, "The only way to stop a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun".
Sumdumguy wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 4:35 am
Does that complexity decrease the simplicity? Not at all.
Abyss_Fish wrote:
Wed Oct 21, 2020 11:54 pm
Ti is uh, 300 dollars.
skeeg11

Post by skeeg11 »

Quite possibly the smoothest and precision made back lock I've every handled. I much prefer the form factor of the Siren over the Caribbean. I only wish the Siren also came in a fully serrated version. Might even get more pocket time than my PE version.
z4vdBt

Post by z4vdBt »

Got one coming.
z4vdBt

Post by z4vdBt »

Very nice. Exactly as advertised weight: 3.4oz / 96g.
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

z4vdBt wrote:
Wed May 20, 2020 11:56 pm
Very nice. Exactly as advertised weight: 3.4oz / 96g.
That’s great z4! I’d be happy to hear your thoughts after some carry and use. :spyder:

Where did you get yours? They are still kind of hard to find but I see a few up at Knifeworks and REC.
soulspy

Post by soulspy »

I got mine from DLT, thanks for the tip Lance.

My last Spyderco lockback was a mid-90's pinned Rescue that I carried for a decade. The lock was solid but there was something left to be desired as far as the tolerances went. It had a little blade movement in every direction by the time I put it away.

Now to the Siren...as a note I also have the Waterway. First impressions: The lockbar is thicker than the blade stock on most folders. The spring tension is stiffer than any other Spyderco lock I've used. The sound it makes when it locks is very reassuring. All the blade stock edges are crisp and the lines are all very clean. Great work from Golden, as usual.

Handling overall feels pretty natural coming from mostly compression and frame-lock knives. It will drop shut if you keep the lockbar pressed the whole time. There is just a tiny kick that hits right behind the finger guard to keep the blade from hitting you fingers if you close it while in a full grip. I've been just ever so slightly touched by the blade. It's first bite and acceptance of me as the owner trying to get used to handling a new blade. I know a lot of lockback fans like a detent or half-stop on the blade so your fingers can get out of the way, but I don't feel like there's any real hazard to the Siren design.

I haven't had it long enough to get any real use in, but I have used the Waterway and a Spydiechef so I am familiar with LC200N and I really like the steel as an EDC. Overall, for having no steel liners, the Siren feels really solid. Spyderco tolerances are amazing and this adds to the solid feeling. I'm looking forward to using the Siren. It just feels good in the hand and that's a refelction of a well thought out (you da man, Lance), thoroughly tested (you da man, Chad), and excellently built folder (you da man, Sal and Co.).
z4vdBt

Post by z4vdBt »

Surfingringo wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 7:55 am
Where did you get yours? They are still kind of hard to find but I see a few up at Knifeworks and REC.

Knifeworks. I usually get all my Spydercos from them.
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

Still hard to find but they pop up every now and then...like trying to score a sprint, haha. Bladehq and SFO had some yesterday but both are sold out now. Looks like Knifejoy has a few in stock.
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

Surfingringo wrote:
Thu Jun 04, 2020 7:18 pm
Still hard to find but they pop up every now and then...like trying to score a sprint, haha. Bladehq and SFO had some yesterday but both are sold out now. Looks like Knifejoy has a few in stock.

You hit it out of the park with this one Lance. :cool:
Can't wait til I can get ahold of one!
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
Marko

Post by Marko »

I got mine direct from Spyderco today! This is a game changer. I wish my Native Salt lockback was this smooth...