Spydie vs Bugout

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Karl_H

Re: Spydie vs Bugout

Post by Karl_H »

Prices are practically the same. CF-Elite Version of the bugout is more expensive.

Ikuchi: $140
Bugout: $127.50 - $144.50

I stand by what I said earlier. The Ikuchi is the most similar offering from Spyderco that I can compare the bugout to, which is what the OP asked for. I didn’t say the Ikuchi is identical.
Last edited by Karl_H on Wed Jun 03, 2020 7:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Snacktime

Post by Snacktime »

No bugout, I have a few other Benchmades. No issues with there steel, edge retention is middle of the road. Axis lock is not my favorite, I do think axis lock is better than the spyderco ball lock on a Manix. I like how it snaps close last little bit.

Ergos are not there on most Benchmades. Fit and finish are a step below, with scales and stand offs. Flexible handles are a thing.

Worth the money if you like the design and want to try a different lock. Benchmade makes a decent product, just a little behind spyderco for the money. I have a couple because I like to form my own opinions. My 818 just did two weeks in the pocket, no issues.
My socks carry tip up MNOSD Member 0021
Notsurewhy

Post by Notsurewhy »

Karl_H wrote:
Tue Jun 02, 2020 9:36 pm
Prices are practically the same. CF-Elite Version of the bugout is more expensive.

Ikuchi: $140
Bugout: $127.50 - $144.50

I stand by what I said earlier. The Ikuchi is the most similar offering from Spyderco, which is what the OP asked for. I didn’t say the Ikuchi is identical.
The ikuchi is a good, if counterintuitive (for me) choice. I think the reason people are having trouble with your choice is one of perception.

The bugout is perceived as a user/outdoorsy/ backpacking knife and the Ikuchi as more of a indoorsy/formal/fancy knife. Probably mostly due to handle material and color. The BO is a super slim, lightweight, go backpacking kind of knife that's bright blue* grivory so you can find it easily if dropped in the woods. The ikuchi is super slim and lightweight so it won't ruin the lines of your slacks or suit pants at a formal occasion kind of knife and has a black carbon fiber laminate handle that looks classy and subtle for said occasions. The end result is a similar size and weight knife, but People see them differently because of largely aesthetic differences.

*the original as conceived bugout, not the tacticooled up later versions. E.g.knifecenter's BATTLEWASH FINISH". I'm sure 1.8 oz somewhat flimsy knives see lots of battle. :rolleyes: