Spydie vs Bugout

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
PSquared

Re: Spydie vs Bugout

Post by PSquared »

I’m not going to wax lyrical about a competitor’s knife in Sal’s house other than to say that the Bugout is a good knife. With aftermarket carbon fibre scales, it’s a great knife.

Size and blade profile is very similar to my most carried Spyderco, the Centofante Memory. That works well for me.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

Don't get me wrong, BM makes a good knife, but they are so hung up on that silly blade to handle equal ratio nonsense that they do not fit my hand, at all, most of the time. I do not have that problem with Spyderco.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
DSH007

Post by DSH007 »

I've always been interested in the Bugout.. I like the looks of the knife a lot actually.. but around the time they initially came out, I remember seeing some youtube video where the reviewer was able to flex the standard scales near in half.. I get that lightweight is the point of the knife, but I had trouble wrapping my head around how flimsy the scales looked.. it always managed to put me off enough to not buy a Bugout. With upgraded scale options, I'm definitely interested in the knife. That said, I haven't wanted one badly enough to get around to buying it yet..

I have two BMs. A mini-grip and a 940. They are perfectly fine knives.. in fact, I really like the 940. And I probably will pick up a Bugout at some point.. but generally, the majority of BM's catalog just doesn't do it for me.. Based on this week's Reveal alone, I can't say the same about Spyderco!
Rick H.

..well, that escalated quickly..
Edward_Scissorhands

Post by Edward_Scissorhands »

Baron Mind wrote:
Thu May 07, 2020 11:44 pm
I've got one, and ya know, I kinda like it, but, the difference between something like the bugout and native 5 lw or chapparal lw, is the bugout is just kind of a cool knife to have on your pocket, it's kind of fun, but there's nothing about it that makes me feel like it's a purposely designed serious cutting tool. It just looks nice, is fun to play with, and it will perform most edc tasks just fine, but there's real engineering or purpose behind the design. Spyderco's are designed and built as cutting tools first, and edc knives second. That's the difference.
Yeah, I know what you mean. I think where the BO wins is that is was designed from the ground up to be a super light, super easy to carry EDC. From that aspect, I think BM knocked it out of the park. The BO is only a bit heavier than my DF2, but it's got way more blade. It definitely doesn't feel as well suited for heavier duty compared to other knives, but for just run of the mill things, it'll probably work for me. If I need something stronger, my N5 LW is awesome. I put a deep carry clip on that baby, and it's great.
Notsurewhy

Post by Notsurewhy »

I’ve had an original bugout for a couple of years and it's a great lightweight, light duty EDC. Ergos are good but aren't as good as my spydies, and I'd prefer a hole to thumb studs, but other than that it's fantastic. Thin slicey blade, 3in+ blade for less than 2oz, axis lock and my favorite pocket clip from any manufacturer. Perfect knife for carrying in shorts. Easily my most carried non Spyderco.

I wish spyderco made a direct competitor. Maybe a frn native+ ultralight, sized between the native and native chief with thinner stock to improve slicing and reduce weight? I love my native 5 but there are times I miss the extra half inch of edge when I carry it over the bugout.
Edward_Scissorhands

Post by Edward_Scissorhands »

Agree 100%. It's annoying that I've had to buy aftermarket clips for some of my Spydies. Their wire clips are better, but a few of mine don't feel very secure (they move around if I try to wiggle them). OTOH, that clip on the BO is fantastic. I like the Spydie hole better than a stud, but that's really the only thing I can complain about. I get why some people don't like the scales, as they do seem a bit bendy, but I think it would really take a lot to break them.
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

Notsurewhy wrote:
Mon May 18, 2020 11:02 am
I wish spyderco made a direct competitor. Maybe a frn native+ ultralight, sized between the native and native chief with thinner stock to improve slicing and reduce weight? I love my native 5 but there are times I miss the extra half inch of edge when I carry it over the bugout.
I have a Native LW and a BO in my hands right now, and the only thing that the BO wins on is the Axis lock. For me, the ergonomics make the Native the clear choice. Add in that this $112 native is Rex 45, and this $127 BO is s30v, and I have a strong preference for the Spyderco offering. Isn't there an s90v BO now? What's the price point on that? That might be more interesting to me as a competitor.
Notsurewhy

Post by Notsurewhy »

TomAiello wrote:
Mon May 18, 2020 2:38 pm
Notsurewhy wrote:
Mon May 18, 2020 11:02 am
I have a Native LW and a BO in my hands right now, and the only thing that the BO wins on is the Axis lock. For me, the ergonomics make the Native the clear choice. Add in that this $112 native is Rex 45, and this $127 BO is s30v, and I have a strong preference for the Spyderco offering. Isn't there an s90v BO now? What's the price point on that? That might be more interesting to me as a competitor.
I prefer the native too, but often miss the extra blade on the bugout. Thus my wish for a slim lightweight Spyderco with similar edge length.

I don't know about upgraded steel options on the bugout, but I'm probably not interested. Spyderco sprints are usually great value, but Benchmades with upgraded steel/scales are usually ludicrously overpriced. More so than the regular butterfly tax even.
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

Native Chief LW maybe?

The "direct competitor" I want Spyderco to make is a Chap sized CBBl to compete with the mini BO. I'd love to have the CBBL in that size package.
adv23

Post by adv23 »

SubMicron wrote:
Thu May 07, 2020 11:03 pm
I own the Bugout. I have the standard blue FRN with S30V. Overall for what it is, it's a good knife.

For light to medium use, or general EDC, its functional, reliable, and safe. I flick and fidget with my knives a lot and it has held up well.

With all of that said, I dont love the knife, and generally am bored with it. Thumbstuds... lol

I'm trying to be fair.

The flexibility of the FRN handle doesn't bother me. The point of the thing is to be an ultra-light knife with a lot of cutting edge relative to its size.

The subject of 2A caused the Bugout to be the last Benchmade product that I purchased. I'm relatively new to the knife community and learned about everything all at once.

As my Spyderco collection has grown, my other two Benchmade knives ride the bench (pun) and go unused... and perhaps will soon get sold.

The Bugout was purchased because it's very tame looking and seems to be acceptable to bring to work. The steel, S30V, fails me at work. BM's heat treat is good enough but S30V is just the wrong stuff.

So then if I'm not going to carry it at work, I have to REALLY like the knife to carry it in my personal life.

It does not get carried in my personal life.

+1
There's a stroke of genius behind trademarking a round hole in the blade. Whether the hole is on a backlock, BB lock, or compression lock, for me it's more reliable to deploy the blade with consistency, which adds to safety. It's also more fun to play with.

I remember seeing the Benchmade rep on a BladeHQ YouTube video. With his Bugout, he was eating an apple to underscore the fact that it's a light duty knife. This amused me and it also reminded me that I needed to start eating apples again, so then I started buying them again.

So when it's time for an apple I'll go get the Bugout... usually while eating it, I find myself wondering how much better the SpydieChef would actually be.
gull wing

Post by gull wing »

This is easy, almost any Spyderco will cut better than any Benchmade.
I have several BM's, the best cutting one is the Mini Ritter Grip M390, but still isn't ground as well(for cutting) as a Spyderco.
Still, I would get a BO if they put a steel more to my liking like (20CV, Cruwear, CPM XHP). No to 90V, 110V, S30V.
SCARAMOUCHE! :bug-red-white
ivtecdaily

Post by ivtecdaily »

I've had a couple bugouts when they were all the rage and I just couldn't bring myself to carry it very much and now the one I still have stays in the safe along with a mini grip. Not sure if it's just my hand or what but the ergos on the bugout are horrible for me. I never really understood the whole super duper lightweight thing, feels gimmicky to me.

I guess it would make a good "bugout" knife, go figure.
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Adv23,

Welcome to our forum.

sal
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

Spyderco got there first with their liner-less models. I have a Delica 3 which I would take over the BugOut. I wish they would bring that one (D3) back, but I bought a couple of used ones so I have a lifetime supply.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
Karl_H

Post by Karl_H »

I think the Ikuchi is the closest Spyderco to a bugout. I prefer the blade and handle of the Ikuchi. I prefer the axis lock and lighter weight of the bugout. The Ikuchi is marginally heavier, but also has full liners.

I think a linerless LW model of the Ikuchi would probably compete more directly with the bugout.

Add me to the list of people that would like to see a native chief lw (without the 50-50 finger choil and consequently shortened by 1 inch). The blade on the native 5 is a bit short and the handle of the native chief (including finger choil) is a bit long. The bugout and Ikuchi are in the Goldilocks Zone (3-3.5 in edges, with 4.0 to 4.5 inch handles).
Last edited by Karl_H on Wed Jun 03, 2020 7:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Karl_H wrote:
Tue Jun 02, 2020 7:05 pm
I think the Ikuchi is the closest Spyderco to a bugout. I prefer the blade and handle shape of the Ikuchi. I prefer the axis lock on the bugout. The Ikuchi is marginally heavier, but also has full liners.

I think a linerless LW model of the Ikuchi would probably compete more directly with the bugout.

Add me to the list of people that would like to see a native chief lw (without the 50-50 finger choil and consequently shortened by 1 inch). The blade on the native 5 is a bit short and the handle of the native chief (including finger choil) is a bit long. The bugout and Ikuchi are in the Goldilocks Zone (3-3.5 in edges, with 4.0 to 4.5 inch handles).
Whaaaaat...Ikuchi closest to the Bugout?? Please explain your reasoning here. They are polar opposites in almost every aspect!
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

Yeah you almost couldn't find two knives more different than those! :confused:
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
Karl_H

Post by Karl_H »

Photo Comparison:
https://www.reddit.com/r/knifeclub/comm ... de_bugout/

Spec Comparison:

Blade Steel: S30V vs S30V
Blade Thickness: 0.09 in vs 0.098 in
Blade Length: 3.24 in vs 3.26in
Handle Length: 4.35 in vs 4.22
Weight: 2.4 oz vs 1.85oz

Both knives lack finger choils and thumb ramps, unlike pretty much every other spyderco.

How can you call them opposites, when they are so similar?
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Karl_H wrote:
Tue Jun 02, 2020 8:15 pm
Photo Comparison:

Spec Comparison:

Both knives lack finger choils and thumb ramps, unlike pretty much every other spyderco.

Price, blade shape, lock type, blade deployment method, handle materials, pocket clip, overall look and feel in hand.
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Tue Jun 02, 2020 8:44 pm
Karl_H wrote:
Tue Jun 02, 2020 8:15 pm
Photo Comparison:

Spec Comparison:

Price, blade shape, lock type, blade deployment method, handle materials, pocket clip, overall look and feel in hand.
The Ikuchi is definitely a premium model and the bugout is a baseline model.
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.