LeafStorm Sprint anyone?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
samdasnake

LeafStorm Sprint anyone?

Post by samdasnake »

Can we get a Sprint Run of the discontinued LeafStorm? It's such a beautiful knife! I'm so sad I didn't get one while they were still on the market. Would anyone else be interested? Ideas on steel/handle?
The Meat man

Re: LeafStorm Sprint anyone?

Post by The Meat man »

Can't say it tickles my fancy any, but it's an interesting knife:
C128G_M.jpg
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

I'd definitely be interested. I've suggested a BladeHQ Exclusive a few times since its already halfway there.
-Nick :bug-red
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

The Meat man wrote:
Thu May 07, 2020 8:59 am
Can't say it tickles my fancy any, but it's an interesting knife:

C128G_M.jpg

What´s that cutout in the blade for? Too big for a sharpening choil, too narrow for a finger choil, can´t see why it would be necessary in a frame lock knife and it possibly just snags on stuff one is cutting.. ?!
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
joeldworkin307

Post by joeldworkin307 »

I've tried twice and can never come around on the Leafstorm. If I need a smaller Spydie the Urban is more ergonomic, comes in interesting steels, and way less likely to cut me if my finger slips up the blade.
w3tnz

Post by w3tnz »

I had one originally but moved it on and don’t regret it. A looker for sure but not the most functional design. Very small knife that didn’t really have any comfortable grips imo and tended to bite your finger with the heel of the blade when choking up on it.
It’s kind of in the size above where this is acceptable when you consider the competition, dfly for example which is even smaller and fits the hand so well. The techo really buried the leafstorm when it came out and that says a lot.
They are very hard to find now however so maybe a sprint would sell, but not for me.
rabbitanarchy14

Post by rabbitanarchy14 »

yes yes yes plz. i have been trying to get a hold of one of these for a long time.
192.168.0.1 -Para 3 G10 M390 Red, Dice XHP, Lil Native Rex 45 comp, Manix 2 M390 G10 BR, PM2 M390 DLC BL, PM2 k390 RGreen, Cat BD1N, Dragonfly 2 k390
Saving for - Lil Native K390, D'allara 3, UTX-70
Instruments- Kimber EVO, SA Hellcat, SW Shield Plus 9
Dazen

Post by Dazen »

rabbitanarchy14 wrote:
Thu May 07, 2020 9:57 pm
yes yes yes plz. i have been trying to get a hold of one of these for a long time.
You’re in luck, a bit pricey but NIB! It has a CC# though.

https://www.knivesplus.com/spyderco-lea ... 128gp.html
Dane

“Stop buying your kids what you never had and start teaching them what you never knew!”
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

I had one of these and quickly sold it.

It looks great, but aside from that, it is lackluster. If it were <$100 I'd buy one for the funkiness, but at >$200, not a chance.
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

It looks decidedly ungainly and uncomfortable to hold and use.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

The designer, Kevin Wilkins has updated the design of this knife a few times. As much as I love the original and would want to see a sprint run, maybe more people would be interested in one of his newer models, such as the Leafstorm 9? This one uses an axis lock, but I wonder if something like the ball bearing lock would work?

Image from - "EverydayCommentary.com"
-Nick :bug-red
DSH007

Post by DSH007 »

I've always thought that this knife looks really cool.. but I concede that it doesn't necessarily appear to be the most comfortable compared to some (most) of Spyderco's other offerings. Out of curiosity, I'd probably (who am I kidding, I would) buy one if the price was reasonable..
Rick H.

..well, that escalated quickly..
GarageBoy

Post by GarageBoy »

It's supposed to be a mini kitchen knife right? Why the thick grind?
JMM

Post by JMM »

If it was done with most any recent tool steel I would absolutely buy one.
Halfneck

Post by Halfneck »

I remember when these came out. Knives by Mr. Wilkins were very popular. I was looking forward to it, then I handled one and lost all interest. It was a cool knife, but the ergonomics were all wrong for my hand.
JMM

Post by JMM »

Halfneck wrote:
Fri May 08, 2020 9:23 pm
I remember when these came out. Knives by Mr. Wilkins were very popular. I was looking forward to it, then I handled one and lost all interest. It was a cool knife, but the ergonomics were all wrong for my hand.
Hrm... how so? I haven't handled one, and I have rather big hands, what didn't work for you?

Just on sight alone I think it's a great looking knife, but I would very much like to handle one...
Halfneck

Post by Halfneck »

JMM wrote:
Fri May 08, 2020 9:36 pm
Halfneck wrote:
Fri May 08, 2020 9:23 pm
Hrm... how so? I haven't handled one, and I have rather big hands, what didn't work for you?

Just on sight alone I think it's a great looking knife, but I would very much like to handle one...
I wear a size L/XL glove. As I recall it was barely a 3-finger knife. Not a big deal as so is my Rhino & I love that knife. But on the Leafstorm my 1st & 2nd fingers were forced into the cutout, with the 3rd finger resting awkwardly on the raised back. It just wasn't comfortable. And it sort of annoyed me as you have that whole raised forward section of the handle that you can't really use to grip the knife. And not being able to grip it that way also puts your hand farther away from the edge for more controlling/precision cuts
rabbitanarchy14

Post by rabbitanarchy14 »

i would be down for a cbbl leafstorm or the leafstorm 9.

sumdumguy you are right it would have been more acceptable if it were closer to 100$ like 120 but at 200 is crazy just like the techno.
192.168.0.1 -Para 3 G10 M390 Red, Dice XHP, Lil Native Rex 45 comp, Manix 2 M390 G10 BR, PM2 M390 DLC BL, PM2 k390 RGreen, Cat BD1N, Dragonfly 2 k390
Saving for - Lil Native K390, D'allara 3, UTX-70
Instruments- Kimber EVO, SA Hellcat, SW Shield Plus 9