I've done it, I've converted him!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
TkoK83Spy

I've done it, I've converted him!

Post by TkoK83Spy »

I've mentioned my friend at work a few times over the years. A diehard Benchmade guy. The past year he's ventured out a little bit and grabbed a few WE Knives and some Cold Steel. He said he was starting to get bored of Benchmade. A couple weeks ago he sends me a picture...it's him with a Tenacious! He said he was at Walmart and decided it was time to see what all my fuss was about with Spyderco. Figured he'd get his feet wet with a cheaper model.

He came in a few days later and told me, he couldn't believe how comfortable the ergos were on the knife. That's it's arguably his most comfortable knife in hand that he has. I just laughed and told him...they all are! I had my 4V Manix on me that day handed it to him. He naturally loved the feel of it, and how the cbbl is kind of similar to what he's been used to with the Axis lock over the years. I told him to go and ahead and use it on a few boxes and crates I had sitting on the dock that I hadn't opened yet (He's the only person here I would even consider to let use that knife :) )

He loved it! He then got ahold of me and asked about the LW versions that are available. He tends to like the lighterweight models (huge Bugout fan) I told him to go for one, he liked the wire clip that they come with as well. He decided on the BD1N version after doing some research.

Last night I get a text from him. He says he got his knife, but they sent him the wrong one!! I was thinking, oh no this is terrible...but I was wrong. Along come a couple of pictures. He got a Manix alright...but they mistakenly sent him the G10, S110V version...for $100!!!! I couldn't believe it!!

I asked him if he was going to keep it or send it back. He said "I'm no dummy, I'll never find S110V for $100, it's a keeper" So he now has a Manix and Tenacious and confirmed...other models will follow. WE GOT HIM :p :cool:

Inkedimagejpeg_0_LI.jpg
imagejpeg_0001.jpg
Last edited by TkoK83Spy on Thu May 07, 2020 8:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
Ez556

Re: I've done it, I've converted him!

Post by Ez556 »

Wow, I feel bad for the person that ordered the G10 S110V and gets his LW BD1N. The Manix is a gem though, I hope he still orders a LW to have in the collection.
Likes FRN
:spyder: MEMBER OF THE CRUWEAR NATION :spyder:
sal wrote:
Sun Aug 04, 2019 7:28 am
But in reality, there is nothing quite like a gun. And it has been said, "The only way to stop a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun".
Sumdumguy wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 4:35 am
Does that complexity decrease the simplicity? Not at all.
Abyss_Fish wrote:
Wed Oct 21, 2020 11:54 pm
Ti is uh, 300 dollars.
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

Nice work, Rick! And what a great score for your friend!

I'm still working on my husband. He really likes the blade shape on my Bow River, but wants a bigger handle...come on Mr. Wilson, don't let me down! ;) He also recently told me he'd try a spyderco kitchen knife, so there is hope!
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.
legOFwhat?

Post by legOFwhat? »

Preach the word Rick! :p Spyderco proselytization.
-Larry
Hebrews 13:6 So we may boldly say: “The Lord is my helper; I will not fear. What can man do to me?”
MNOSD #0049
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

JuPaul wrote:
Thu May 07, 2020 7:55 am

I'm still working on my husband. He really likes the blade shape on my Bow River, but wants a bigger handle...come on Mr. Wilson, don't let me down! ;) He also recently told me he'd try a spyderco kitchen knife, so there is hope!
It will probably be pricy now, but the Southfork might pique his interests a bit further. :)
-Nick :bug-red
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Mushroom wrote:
Thu May 07, 2020 8:26 am
JuPaul wrote:

It will probably be pricy now, but the Southfork might pique his interests a bit further. :)
If Julia converts her husband, they may end up homeless if he buys at the rate she does! :p

-Rick
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Thu May 07, 2020 8:43 am
Mushroom wrote:
JuPaul wrote:

If Julia converts her husband, they may end up homeless if he buys at the rate she does! :p
Lol - truth! And he'd have to stop buying (and constantly fixing) $2,000 quads. ;) But I'm also almost as good at purging as I am at buying...almost.
- Julia

JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

Mushroom wrote:
JuPaul wrote:

If anyone is getting a Southfork, it's me! But seriously, the Southfork would be too big overall. He wants the Bow River blade with like another inch of handle, and a bit more width (like on the ESEE 3 HM).
- Julia

Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Thu May 07, 2020 7:44 am
I've mentioned my friend at work a few times over the years. A diehard Benchmade guy. The past year he's ventured out a little bit and grabbed a few WE Knives and some Cold Steel. He said he was starting to get bored of Benchmade. A couple weeks ago he sends me a picture...it's him with a Tenacious! He said he was at Walmart and decided it was time to see what all my fuss was about with Spyderco. Figured he'd get his feet wet with a cheaper model.

He came in a few days later and told me, he couldn't believe how comfortable the ergos were on the knife. That's it's arguably his most comfortable knife in hand that he has. I just laughed and told him...they all are! I had my 4V Manix on me that day handed it to him. He naturally loved the feel of it, and how the cbbl is kind of similar to what he's been used to with the Axis lock over the years. I told him to go and ahead and use it on a few boxes and crates I had sitting on the dock that I hadn't opened yet (He's the only person here I would even consider to let use that knife :) )

He loved it! He then got ahold of me and asked about the LW versions that are available. He tends to like the lighterweight models (huge Bugout fan) I told him to go for one, he liked the wire clip that they come with as well. He decided on the BD1N version after doing some research.

Last night I get a text from him. He says he got his knife, but they sent him the wrong one!! I was thinking, oh no this is terrible...but I was wrong. Along come a couple of pictures. He got a Manix alright...but they mistakenly sent him the G10, S110V version...for $100!!!! I couldn't believe it!!

I asked him if he was going to keep it or send it back. He said "I'm no dummy, I'll never find S110V for $100, it's a keeper" So he now has a Manix and Tenacious and confirmed...other models will follow. WE GOT HIM :p :cool:

Inkedimagejpeg_0_LI.jpg
imagejpeg_0001.jpg
In the picture those scales look black. Are they?
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

I'm in a group text with 6 friends around the US from the shooting community. In the past few months they've all been asking me question after question regarding different Spyderco models, steels, locks, etc. Between them I think they've bought a dozen different Spydies. Only one was familiar with Spyderco going into it. A couple others said they didn't care for the looks or the hole in the blade. I've sold them all on the virtues of the various features and on Spyderco as a company. I think I need to go into Spyderco sales...
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
DutchBlades

Post by DutchBlades »

A tiger has claws.
A wolf has teeth.
An eagle has talons.
We, have Spyderco.

Grails: Abalone Mini Mariner, Ti ATR, WTC, Ti Lum Tanto
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Hey Doc, they are the blurple scales.

-Rick
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

Sharp Guy wrote:
Thu May 07, 2020 11:26 am
I'm in a group text with 6 friends around the US from the shooting community. In the past few months they've all been asking me question after question regarding different Spyderco models, steels, locks, etc. Between them I think they've bought a dozen different Spydies. Only one was familiar with Spyderco going into it. A couple others said they didn't care for the looks or the hole in the blade. I've sold them all on the virtues of the various features and on Spyderco as a company. I think I need to go into Spyderco sales...
I think the hardest part is getting people over the unconventional looks. But once most people really try a spyderco out, they realize what they've been missing, especially how much better the spydie hole is than a thumb stud. Also the comp lock sucks people in. That's what first got me - I hated thumb studs (and liner locks, for that matter).
- Julia

The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

I've been busy spreading the good news too. :D One of my co-workers bought an Advocate, another bought a couple Bugs, then an S110V Military (talk about extremes!), I gave a Spyderco knife to my boss for Christmas plus another one to a different co-worker for his birthday. I gave my brother a Salt 2 and gave away my UKPK to a friend who really liked it.
Plus I've sold a couple Sharpmakers too. I think I need a commission. :D
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
justjohn

Post by justjohn »

I will probably get blasted for what I am going to say, but what the heck. I am glad Rick converted his friend to the best knife brand on the planet, but; the knife should be returned. Obviously there was an honest error on the seller's end. I am not a "goody two shoes", but I have learned over the years that doing the right thing is always the best way. Let's just say that karma has bitten me in the buttocks more than once during my time on this planet, hence the changing of my outlook regarding these type of things. Just my opinion so without further delay proceed with the "blasting". :D
- John

:bug-red "Spyderco"...Vēnērunt, vīdērunt, vīcērunt :bug-red
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

justjohn wrote:
Thu May 07, 2020 5:28 pm
I will probably get blasted for what I am going to say, but what the heck. I am glad Rick converted his friend to the best knife brand on the planet, but; the knife should be returned. Obviously there was an honest error on the seller's end. I am not a "goody two shoes", but I have learned over the years that doing the right thing is always the best way. Let's just say that karma has bitten me in the buttocks more than once during my time on this planet, hence the changing of my outlook regarding these type of things. Just my opinion so without further delay proceed with the "blasting". :D
I actually had something similar happen at BladeHQ and I emailed them to ask about exchanging it. They told me to keep the incorrect knife and sent me the right one! So sometimes doing the right thing really does pay off. ;)
- Julia

standy99

Post by standy99 »

Last guy I converted purchased
Pakkawood Delica
Pakkawood Endura
Pacific Salt
Spyderco sharpening full set up
In one hit
and
Only a few days later ordered the GB2 (which has been on back order for nearly a year from Knifecenter)
Im a vegetarian as technically cows are made of grass and water.
208 tim

Post by 208 tim »

Good on you! That's awesome.
JuPaul wrote:
Thu May 07, 2020 5:33 pm
justjohn wrote:
I actually had something similar happen at BladeHQ and I emailed them to ask about exchanging it. They told me to keep the incorrect knife and sent me the right one! So sometimes doing the right thing really does pay off. ;)
sn0wman72

Post by sn0wman72 »

justjohn wrote:

Hope you do not get "blasted" for saying do the honest thing! I would agree, contact the seller and ask them what they would like to do

AND it is cool to hear that someone has given Spyderco and chance and likes it!
bearrowland

Post by bearrowland »

One son down, one to go to switch to the Spyderco Universe 😊
Barry

Bonne Journey!

For the word of God is living and powerful, and sharper than any two edged sword

Do what you can, where you are, with what you have! Theodore Roosevelt

MNOSD member 0032