Older Endura 3- Seki Japan, What blade steel ?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Liveliner

Older Endura 3- Seki Japan, What blade steel ?

Post by Liveliner »

Hello all,
Purchased an Endura 3 in the 90's. I carried this knife for many years and had to leave it in Florida recently for my return trip back north. Since my return I have felt naked without my knife and have purchased several to take its place. I have also re-discovered the beauty & utility of knives and become somewhat knife nerdy. I have been reading this forum learning about steels, sprints, exclusives, sharpening & scales. Almost like learning a new language.
OK, back to my question. I can't recall the type of blade steel on the Endura. What I do know is that one side is marked Seki, Japan and I purchased the knife in the 90's. and it has a serrated edge. Thinking its VG10', ATS55 , or Aus8. Given that time period what would the Endura 3 likely have for a blade steel. Now that I have become " blade steel educated" I just need to know. (lol). Can't believe I carried that long and never really gave it much thought.
Thanks all for making my stay at home time less boring. I have learned a lot on this forum.
sal

Re: Older Endura 3- Seki Japan, What blade steel ?

Post by sal »

Hi Liveliner,

Welcome to our forum. Hope you get to enjoy your time here. Many good folks that are into the edge.

I think your numbers may be off, but from the description with no pics, I would guess GIN-1 or VG-10. We do have some historians here that might be able to add more.

What type of clip did it have?

sal
Liveliner

Post by Liveliner »

Thanks for the welcome Sal.

Thanks for the welcome Sal.

The clip on the Endura 3 is the steel clip not the molded one. I thought I read in a thread that the steel clips replaced the molded one in the late 90's. Initially I thought I bought it in the late 80's, however if the steel clip was new in the 90's I have to go with that. I do have one picture I will try to post. Working on that.
James Y

Post by James Y »

If this particular Endura 3 had the steel clip with the single barrel(?) screw, it would have had either ATS-55 or VG-10 steel. I have Endura 3’s in both steels. I remember when it first came out, it was called ‘Endura ‘98’ (along with the ‘Delica ‘98’) in an ad in a knife magazine.

If it had a hollow saber grind it was probably the ATS-55 version. If it had a flat saber grind, it was VG-10

Jim
Liveliner

Post by Liveliner »

Thanks James, the blade is a hollow sabre grind so most likely the bkade is ATS 55. I will post a pic when I get that figured out.
Liveliner

Post by Liveliner »

Liveliner

Post by Liveliner »

Still pic testing