Rockjumper discussion

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
tangent

Re: Rockjumper discussion

Post by tangent »

I like it...I like a lot of the newer knives that are coming out. My only hope is that we will start to see some of these liner FRN knives come out in linerless Salt versions. Please, sal...?
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

tangent wrote:
Sat May 16, 2020 11:15 pm
I like it...I like a lot of the newer knives that are coming out. My only hope is that we will start to see some of these liner FRN knives come out in linerless Salt versions. Please, sal...?

+1
... starting with a "Salt Endela", if possible in ffg SE (I know, it´d have to be LC200N then, not H1)
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
tangent

Post by tangent »

Yeah, I've come to the conclusion that there must be some kind of problem getting LC200N Salt blades made with linerless FRN. It's really obvious that many people on the forums want them...not sure why we haven't seen one come out yet. (excluding the Native Salt)
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

The issue is probably getting Seki to use LC200N. I hear they can be a bit hesitant to use anything outside of their norm.
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
koenigsegg

Post by koenigsegg »

Oh ya the Indian salt
S30V, VG10, M4, XHP, BD1, Cruwear, Elmax, Maxamet, 204P, H1, K390, A11, Rex45, LC200N, M390, 20CV, BD1N, S45VN waiting to afford MagnaCut
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

sal wrote:
Tue May 05, 2020 11:02 pm
In reality, It's a test piece The beauty of the mid back-lock is:

1. The kick hits the lock bar at the pivot which prevents the edge from hitting the back spring.
2. The knife can be easily and safely closed with one hand.
3. The spring offers a strong self close detent.
4. The design concept can be a very strong lock.

Some have complained about the presence of the "kick" which offers nothing and doesn't look good. The first solution was to create the finger choil, which permitted one to get the finger very close to the edge and turned the kick int a useful part of the knife. We make quite a few of our models with finger choils.

Then there were those that complained that they really didn't like finger choils and would like to see the edge come right up to the handle without a finger choil (like the Lil'Temperance) and still employ the mid back-lock. Sometimes requests can be a PITA, bur sometimes they can also spur the creation of solutions.

Enter the Rock Jumper. A relatively simple solution that offers much.

We've found that making G-10 knives in Seki ends up with such a high cost that it doesn't really let us know the true value and demand of a design. We decided to "bite the bullet" and go straight into an FRN model. Tooling is considerably higher, but the per piece cost is much less. It also give us the opportunity for colors, sprints and steel adjustments.

The main feature we're testing and studying is the ability to have the edge close to the handle on a mid back-loco and still retain the "normal" muscle memory of closing a mid lock-back quickly with one hand without cutting yourself. This in addition to the other advantages of the mid back-lock. And do this without an exposed kick or finger choil.

We do have a "Leaf jumper" in-the-works as well.

I believe that there will be certain part of the market that will appreciate the features I listed above on one model. I have enjoyed carrying and using the early models. It's a good size. Legal in many areas, will take a large hand, comfortable to carry, ergonomic for most hands. The result of many many hours of thought on top of a fair amount of experience. I hope you like it. :o

sal

So when do I get one of these for testing? The wait is driving me nuts :D

I also saw in another post you mentioned you're working on a smaller version which is very interesting, but how about a larger version too? Is it too soon for a whole family in three sizes like the Delica/Endela/Endura? I keep looking at the reveal pics and honestly the only thing I'd change is to a no thumb ramp "Shaman style" shape and that would pretty much be my dream knife. I know you said the Shaman didn't have room for a back lock, but if you someday figure out how to do this style of handle and no choil on a Native and/or Chief it'll be amazing.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
z4vdBt

Post by z4vdBt »

Can't wait for this one.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

I am really interested in this knife as it fits a large hand and is a mid back lock. Everything seems to be appealing about the design.
Waiting on this knife reminds me of that old Hee Haw song, "Where O Where are you tonight?" I hate waiting, but I guess I will have to do so.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

Wartstein wrote:
Thu May 07, 2020 10:43 am
... and there certainly is a place for Rock Jumper AND Delica (the Rock Jumper has almost a Manix 2 LW cutting edge, a lot more than a Delica)
bingo. if this comes out in a leaf blade, it could dethrone my manix lw that i love so much. i personally love the choil, but i don’t like that i sometimes can’t carry a 3” blade because the choil counts as another 1/2” against me. this knife would answer that issue.

it also answers what i don’t like about the delica, which is the grip. this kind of grip makes so much more sense than bumps in weird places. i mean a delica doesn’t hurt my hand to use, but it’s certainly not as nice as this will be.

honestly, i like the rock jumper as it is and would like the leaf jumper just as much. although i would like to see them in different steels.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

I was looking through the Reveal catalog recently and was surprised by the size of the Rockjumper. For some reason, I was expecting it to be more in line with the Delica than it is. Even with the given specs, it is larger than I was expecting.

-Nick :bug-red
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

What is interesting is to see Sal’s genius. The knife is not much longer closed than the Delica but it has more blade and cutting edge.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Steeltoez83

Post by Steeltoez83 »

I am waiting for the leaf jumper version on this one. I'm not into wharnies but so many ppl are these days. The handle reminds me so much of the polestar in size and design. I hardly ever choke up on the choils of my spydies anyways. Bd1 is very comparable to vg10 so holding out for a Sprint steel is ideal. Ever since I've been using the hundred pacer I've come to appreciate trailing points. They seem to be hard sells for spyderco in general. I'd like to see this take off better than the polestar has.
"Nothing is built on stone; all is built on sand, but we must build as if the sand were stone."
JustinB

Post by JustinB »

I am so excited for my rockjumpers, especially the SE one!
Justin :spyder:
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Steeltoe,

Welcome to our forum.

sal
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

JustinB wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 10:45 am
I am so excited for my rockjumpers, especially the SE one!

Oh yes, me too... :)
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

Mushroom wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 8:47 am
I was looking through the Reveal catalog recently and was surprised by the size of the Rockjumper. For some reason, I was expecting it to be more in line with the Delica than it is. Even with the given specs, it is larger than I was expecting.

are these pictures actual size?

has anyone seen a leaf jumper yet? will we lose some edge length by sweeping it up?

i can't wait for one of these rock jumpers. i just got the opportunity to hold a delica again and i just can't get along with the handle.
current collection:
C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
anycal

Post by anycal »

ladybug93 wrote:
Wed Aug 12, 2020 11:36 am

has anyone seen a leaf jumper yet? will we lose some edge length by sweeping it up?

i can't wait for one of these rock jumpers. i just got the opportunity to hold a delica again and i just can't get along with the handle.
That will be interesting. I tried to draw out the edge in a leaf shape, and it is difficult to see how it would not loose some edge lenght. Unless it is a gentle up sweep, and you burry the tip further into the end of the handle?

I too would prefer it over Wharncliffe. But as the RockJumper is obviously coming out first, I am willing to try it.
Peter
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

anycal wrote:
Wed Aug 12, 2020 12:16 pm
ladybug93 wrote:
Wed Aug 12, 2020 11:36 am

That will be interesting. I tried to draw out the edge in a leaf shape, and it is difficult to see how it would not loose some edge lenght. Unless it is a gentle up sweep, and you burry the tip further into the end of the handle?

I too would prefer it over Wharncliffe. But as the RockJumper is obviously coming out first, I am willing to try it.
honestly, i like the wharncliffe because notice my other blades slipping off of material. something in between, like the slight belly on the sheepsfoot caribbean in the picture might be the most ideal/best of both worlds kind of compromise.
current collection:
spyderco steels:
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

I am ready for this yesterday.
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
JustinB

Post by JustinB »

Sumdumguy wrote:
Wed Aug 12, 2020 12:41 pm
I am ready for this yesterday.
Same here, I cannot wait for this. The SE is going to take up all my pocket time for a while once these finally ship :D
Justin :spyder: