Rockjumper discussion

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
VooDooChild

Re: Rockjumper discussion

Post by VooDooChild »

Ha. I just threw out a random thought yesterday about getting a leaf shape blade on this thing and now it looks like it is happening. Thats awesome.

I prefer backlocks. I prefer not to have a 50/50 choil. But, I also do not prefer the ergos of the delica and endura. I really like Seki frn knives as work knives. I think the Leafjumper is going to be great.
"Rome's greatest contribution to mathematics was the killing of Archimedes."
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Something about this one is growing on me today. I enjoyed the SE last week at work. I dig the blade shape, under $100. Seems like it would be a good work knife that I wouldn't have to worry about as much as others.
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Wed May 06, 2020 9:35 am
Something about this one is growing on me today. I enjoyed the SE last week at work. I dig the blade shape, under $100. Seems like it would be a good work knife that I wouldn't have to worry about as much as others.
The Wharncliffe Delica has been a favorite of mine at work, so I'm thinking this one will be similar. If you haven't tried a wharncliffe yet, seems like the Rockjumper would be a great place to start. The ergonomics look really great on this one too.
-Nick :bug-red
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Mushroom wrote:
Wed May 06, 2020 9:51 am
TkoK83Spy wrote:
Wed May 06, 2020 9:35 am
The Wharncliffe Delica has been a favorite of mine at work, so I'm thinking this one will be similar. If you haven't tried a wharncliffe yet, seems like the Rockjumper would be a great place to start. The ergonomics look really great on this one too.
The closest I have is the Smock, so this would be my first true wharncliffe. We all know Spyderco SE is an animal! I like the Delica ergos, I don't LOVE them but their not bad. I think this knife with the thicker swell, contouring and slight hook at the end will suit my hand better.
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
tangent

Post by tangent »

I wonder if a salt version, which is linerless of course, requires a completely different mold. Does anyone know? It seems like this is a sort of Endela sized knife. I really look forward to giving this one a try. But as many of you all know, I love the Salt versions because of the linerless handles.
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

tangent wrote:
Wed May 06, 2020 2:05 pm
I wonder if a salt version, which is linerless of course, requires a completely different mold. Does anyone know? It seems like this is a sort of Endela sized knife. I really look forward to giving this one a try. But as many of you all know, I love the Salt versions because of the linerless handles.
Yeah the linerless Salt versions require their own molds.

:spyder:
-Nick :bug-red
JohnAPA

Post by JohnAPA »

TTIWWOPs
joeldworkin307

Post by joeldworkin307 »

I'm probably going to hold out for the LeafJumper and, as a rock climber, I'd love to see a shot of this with a locking carabiner through the lanyard hole.
zhyla

Post by zhyla »

I’m going to say some contrarian things about this design. It looks like a good design but I’m perplexed at where it fits into Spyderco’s already crowded Seki lineup.

The purported use for this knife is for climbers. But at 88g it’s not really competitive there. From a non-knife-nut perspective this is just a heavier Delica with a larger lanyard hole. Well, I guess it does have a climber-oriented product name (this can be important).

But setting the climbing aspect aside... what does this really add? It adds just a tiny amount of blade length. It actually has fewer serrations than the wharncliffe Delica for some reason. Are the two knives really that different? Not to mention that there’s already a slightly longer and heavier Delica — the Endela!

From a knife enthusiast point of view, ok, it gets rid of that corner sticking out when closed. That’s nice. That’s an improvement that might move a lot of Delica 5’s. However, knife enthusiasts are not known for lining up to buy FRN/VG-10 knives in the first place.

So... seems like a nice knife, but I’ll be surprised to see this stick around for very long. I am curious to see the Leaf Jumper though. Maybe it is interesting enough to survive (this enabling the more niche Rock Jumper to draft off of it).
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

zhyla wrote:
Thu May 07, 2020 6:27 am
I’m going to say some contrarian things about this design. It looks like a good design but I’m perplexed at where it fits into Spyderco’s already crowded Seki lineup.

The purported use for this knife is for climbers. But at 88g it’s not really competitive there. From a non-knife-nut perspective this is just a heavier Delica with a larger lanyard hole. Well, I guess it does have a climber-oriented product name (this can be important).

But setting the climbing aspect aside... what does this really add? It adds just a tiny amount of blade length. It actually has fewer serrations than the wharncliffe Delica for some reason. Are the two knives really that different? Not to mention that there’s already a slightly longer and heavier Delica — the Endela!

From a knife enthusiast point of view, ok, it gets rid of that corner sticking out when closed. That’s nice. That’s an improvement that might move a lot of Delica 5’s. However, knife enthusiasts are not known for lining up to buy FRN/VG-10 knives in the first place.

So... seems like a nice knife, but I’ll be surprised to see this stick around for very long. I am curious to see the Leaf Jumper though. Maybe it is interesting enough to survive (this enabling the more niche Rock Jumper to draft off of it).

The lack of a snag point is all it needs to offer over a Delica or Endela but there's more to it than that. The snag issue alone pushes me to buy it over the others even if literally everything else were the same but the lack of finger grooves is also a major plus as the ergonomics are neutral and will no doubt fit my hand size better. To put it bluntly this knife makes the Delica obsolete in my eyes, but I'm sure there's plenty who will stay loyal to the Delica.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

joeldworkin307 wrote:
Wed May 06, 2020 6:07 pm
I'm probably going to hold out for the LeafJumper and, as a rock climber, I'd love to see a shot of this with a locking carabiner through the lanyard hole.
Do you know of a locking biner that would fit in a hole that small?

More likely attach a lanyard, which is attached to a locking biner.
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

Evil D wrote:
Thu May 07, 2020 7:08 am
The lack of a snag point is all it needs to offer over a Delica or Endela but there's more to it than that. The snag issue alone pushes me to buy it over the others even if literally everything else were the same but the lack of finger grooves is also a major plus as the ergonomics are neutral and will no doubt fit my hand size better. To put it bluntly this knife makes the Delica obsolete in my eyes, but I'm sure there's plenty who will stay loyal to the Delica.
Agree here, I much prefer the "swell" to the "points" and with the right blade shape this handle wins out over the Delica for me.
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
zhyla

Post by zhyla »

Evil D wrote:

Agree, if this replaces the Delica it makes perfect sense. Though I think the giant lanyard hole is a step in the wrong direction and only continues Spyderco’s obsession with lanyards that few people share.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

zhyla wrote:
Thu May 07, 2020 9:28 am
Evil D wrote:
Agree, if this replaces the Delica it makes perfect sense. Though I think the giant lanyard hole is a step in the wrong direction and only continues Spyderco’s obsession with lanyards that few people share.

As for the big lanyard hole: I am not a lanyard guy at all, but on THIS knife the large hole makes total sense: A thin carabiner (meant to hold gear, NOT the fall of a climber) should fit through there.
Great for attaching the knife to the harness!!! :)
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

... and there certainly is a place for Rock Jumper AND Delica (the Rock Jumper has almost a Manix 2 LW cutting edge, a lot more than a Delica)
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
araneae

Post by araneae »

sal wrote:
Tue May 05, 2020 11:02 pm

We do have a "Leaf jumper" in-the-works as well.

I believe that there will be certain part of the market that will appreciate the features I listed above on one model. I have enjoyed carrying and using the early models. It's a good size. Legal in many areas, will take a large hand, comfortable to carry, ergonomic for most hands. The result of many many hours of thought on top of a fair amount of experience. I hope you like it. :o

sal
Might I suggest you call it the Leaf Hopper, it's an insect. ;)

Looking forward to getting the jumper, looks like a great work knife. Should a Salt version emerge I'd certainly need one in SE for work.
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

sal wrote:
In reality, It's a test piece The beauty of the mid back-lock is:

1. The kick hits the lock bar at the pivot which prevents the edge from hitting the back spring.
2. The knife can be easily and safely closed with one hand.
3. The spring offers a strong self close detent.
4. The design concept can be a very strong lock.
H
Some have complained about the presence of the "kick" which offers nothing and doesn't look good. The first solution was to create the finger choil, which permitted one to get the finger very close to the edge and turned the kick int a useful part of the knife. We make quite a few of our models with finger choils.

Then there were those that complained that they really didn't like finger choils and would like to see the edge come right up to the handle without a finger choil (like the Lil'Temperance) and still employ the mid back-lock. Sometimes requests can be a PITA, bur sometimes they can also spur the creation of solutions.

Enter the Rock Jumper. A relatively simple solution that offers much.

We've found that making G-10 knives in Seki ends up with such a high cost that it doesn't really let us know the true value and demand of a design. We decided to "bite the bullet" and go straight into an FRN model. Tooling is considerably higher, but the per piece cost is much less. It also give us the opportunity for colors, sprints and steel adjustments.

The main feature we're testing and studying is the ability to have the edge close to the handle on a mid back-loco and still retain the "normal" muscle memory of closing a mid lock-back quickly with one hand without cutting yourself. This in addition to the other advantages of the mid back-lock. And do this without an exposed kick or finger choil.

We do have a "Leaf jumper" in-the-works as well.

I believe that there will be certain part of the market that will appreciate the features I listed above on one model. I have enjoyed carrying and using the early models. It's a good size. Legal in many areas, will take a large hand, comfortable to carry, ergonomic for most hands. The result of many many hours of thought on top of a fair amount of experience. I hope you like it. :o

sal
I already like it. Fits big hands. Back lock. Brilliant. As soon as money allows this is coming my way...serrated.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Chinook3

Post by Chinook3 »

sal wrote:
In reality, It's a test piece The beauty of the mid back-lock is:

sal
I really appreciate when Sal explains the reasoning behind the different knives, not only do we get the engineering aspects but the business side of things too which quite honestly is really not anyone’s business. So thank you Sal!
My response is "Just because you can't see it, doesn't mean it isn't there, it just means you can't see it". Sal G.
C99c

Post by C99c »

I can't wait to get one of these in hand. It's rare that I can look at a knife and know that not only will I like it but also that it will instantly kick other knives out of my pocket. This one checks all the boxes for me. I may go ahead and order both versions.
Support Knife Rights. https://kniferights.org/

Don't buy knives from EBAY or AMAZON. There are plenty of good companies that will appreciate your business and don't sell fakes.
hovan2yourknives

Post by hovan2yourknives »

Any idea when these will be available? The ergos look great...canoe shaped handles have always felt right in my hands. Thanks for your efforts again Sal!