The heinous Canis

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
VooDooChild

The heinous Canis

Post by VooDooChild »

Anyone else interested?

First I think it was pretty amazing this reveal had 4 wharncliffes in a row.
Edit: Wait is the swick also a wharncliffe, ok there were 5 then.

Second I feel its a bit odd as it seems that the one knife the Canis directly competes with is the Yojimbo 2.

But... I do not have a Yojimbo and Im thinking this will be the alternative for me. I have been waiting on the Yojumbo and am definitely picking one up. This will be a great option in the next size down, and then the rockjumper one more size down from that.

I dont have an opinion on carbon fiber/g10 laminate scales. Im fine with s30v. I would like a lower price but it is what it is.

What do you guys think?
Last edited by VooDooChild on Tue May 05, 2020 6:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Rome's greatest contribution to mathematics was the killing of Archimedes."
Sumdumguy

Re: The heinous Canis

Post by Sumdumguy »

I thought it was a Breeden 2, haha.
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

i think i’d stick with the yojimbo 2 out of those three, but that’s because i’m not sure i like some of the design elements of the yojumbo and the canis looks like it’ll probably be significantly more expensive than the yojimbo. that’s just a guess though. i also happen to really love the yojimbo, so i might be biased.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

Looks very interesting. Any word on MAP price?
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
VooDooChild

Post by VooDooChild »

The Meat man wrote:Looks very interesting. Any word on MAP price?
$192.50
Definitely my only complaint about it.
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

I like it, but I'm on a very restricted budget. I'm lucky if I get 5 to 10 new knives a year.

1 to 2 Yojumbos, and 1 Sprint Run knife is abt all I'm good for right now in 2020.

In 2020, so far I've purchased the Spyderco Province. I love it, and wish that I could get another one in 2020.
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

VooDooChild wrote:
Tue May 05, 2020 6:25 pm
The Meat man wrote:Looks very interesting. Any word on MAP price?
$192.50
Definitely my only complaint about it.
Thanks!
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
Chinook3

Post by Chinook3 »

I’m in for one!

I enjoy more choices and flavors for specific SD knives, thank you Spyderco and Michael Janich. :cool:
My response is "Just because you can't see it, doesn't mean it isn't there, it just means you can't see it". Sal G.
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

Naperville wrote:
Tue May 05, 2020 6:25 pm
I like it, but I'm on a very restricted budget. I'm lucky if I get 5 to 10 new knives a year.
Count your blessings, my friend. We'd all love more, but a new knife every month or two is pretty great.

This one's beyond me. The Taiwan knives are generally above my price point, but in this particular example I can't stand the mid-blade swedge. I understand that it's different, and that's cool, but just not for me.
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
VooDooChild

Post by VooDooChild »

Michael Janich talked a bit about the history between the Canis and the Yojimbo in the Yojumbo thread earlier.

" If you're still concerned about it and want a Wharncliffe with greater tip strength, check out Kelly McCann's Canis, which has a straight cutting edge, narrow bevels, and a reinforced tip. Kell's inspiration for that design came after I gave him a first-gen Yojimbo as a gift--back when I was working with him on the Crucible folder and fixed blade designs. When I explained my preference for Wharncliffe blades, Kelly listened, immediately "got it," and correctly compared it to the cutting power of box cutters and other common street weapons. He also expressed concern over tip strength because his style of knife tactics is much more thrust-oriented. His solution was to narrow the primary blade bevels to move the crest of the grind line--and the thick part of the blade--closer to the point. That makes the point more stout, but also increases drag during cutting. Like everything else in knife design, it's a trade-off."
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

If it didn't have that enormous swedge thingy, it just kills it for me.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
benben

Post by benben »

The Canis would have to blow my mind for me to like it more than my Yojimbo 2. Of my 25 or so Spyderco's, my Yo2 is the most well executed knife of the bunch, the action and lockup is perfect, couldn't be any better! I'm really not worried about the tip, it's a purpose built folder and that tip is all part of the design. If God forbid I broke the tip on an attackers rib or thigh bone, or a dog's rib bone while walking and it stopped the attack, then I got my monies worth (and way more) out of that knife and would immediately order another one! I carry a pistol at all times so the chances of that scenario happening are somewhat slim.....but you never know?

Now that's not saying the Canis won't be a very high quality knife, I'm sure it will be.
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Evil D wrote:
Wed May 06, 2020 9:01 am
My thoughts exactly. I really like the looks of that handle, even the aggressive jimping. Love blade shape as well...but that swedge makes it an easy no go. Really ruins the look of it.
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
Maximumsmoochy

Post by Maximumsmoochy »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Wed May 06, 2020 9:25 am
Evil D wrote:
Wed May 06, 2020 9:01 am
My thoughts exactly. I really like the looks of that handle, even the aggressive jimping. Love blade shape as well...but that swedge makes it an easy no go. Really ruins the look of it.
I quite like the look of the swedge and swell at the tip, it gives the blade a dog tooth appearance. Likewise, the curves of the handle and thumb scoop at the top of the blade/handle interface look really comfy. Also, great intermediate size for all-around use.
Functionally the discontinuity in the blade thickness might make through-slicing stuff a little lumpy, but with the thin stock, hollow grind, straight edge and nice looking handle, this will probably end up a pretty wicked tool above and beyond stabbing bad guys. Will need to see one "in the flesh" (again, not the stabbing kind of meaning) before I put my money down, but this one is intriguing for me.
Past: Dragonfly, Air, Rhino, Lil' Native, Techno 2, Caly Jr., Brouwer, Chap LW, Para3, N5, Watu, ‘Chef, Mantra 2, SSStretch, PM2, Smock, Shaman, Advocate, GB2, Kapara, Military, Bradley Bowie, Province

Present: P4 K390 FRN

Future: Para3 Cruwear (someday)

Regrets: Most of them
Ez556

Post by Ez556 »

Just think about slicing cardboard with it, cardboard passing easily pass the thinned section of the blade, I think it would work great. I too don’t think it’s particularly good looking, although I also don’t think much of anything Ed Schempp designed is good looking, but I wouldn’t doubt the effectiveness of his designs for a second. It looks a bit odd, but makes sense.
Likes FRN
:spyder: MEMBER OF THE CRUWEAR NATION :spyder:
sal wrote:
Sun Aug 04, 2019 7:28 am
But in reality, there is nothing quite like a gun. And it has been said, "The only way to stop a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun".
Sumdumguy wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 4:35 am
Does that complexity decrease the simplicity? Not at all.
Abyss_Fish wrote:
Wed Oct 21, 2020 11:54 pm
Ti is uh, 300 dollars.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Ez556 wrote:
Wed May 06, 2020 11:05 am
Just think about slicing cardboard with it, cardboard passing easily pass the thinned section of the blade, I think it would work great. I too don’t think it’s particularly good looking, although I also don’t think much of anything Ed Schempp designed is good looking, but I wouldn’t doubt the effectiveness of his designs for a second. it’s odd, but makes sense.

Not sure it would matter as far as how much resistance it has going through the cardboard, but it certainly will make cutting curves a lot easier if you stay inside the swedge.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Monty

Post by Monty »

My first thought was, "this isn't going to work with a Filipino grip", but I suppose it's not intended to.
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

I think somethink like a Swick is a way better choice for an sd knife for me, so I'm not likely to ever get either a yojimbo/jumbo or a canis, but if I was going to buy one based on aesthetics alone, I'd buy the Canis for sure. I think the swedge is really interesting, and I find the overall lines of the Canis much more appealing and frankly, less terrifying-looking.
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

But Julia, terrifying is more fun! The more murdery the better :p :cool:
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Wed May 06, 2020 2:27 pm
But Julia, terrifying is more fun! The more murdery the better :p :cool:
The yojimbo is definitely worthy of another creepy shadow picture! :D
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.