Yojumbo?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Stuart Ackerman

Re: Yojumbo?

Post by Stuart Ackerman »

I like it...
I am keen to see user reviews, and what it is capable of...
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

I would LOVE to see one in either 204P,20CV or M390
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

It'll come down to the finger grooves and whether they fit or whether I can grind them off. That front groove looks too narrow for both my index and middle fingers to fit in but we'll see.

Am I just seeing things or does there appear to be a hole cut into the lock tab?

I like seeing designs evolve but if I'm honest I would have been just fine with an elongated Yo2.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
benben

Post by benben »

Evil D wrote:
Wed May 06, 2020 6:13 am
It'll come down to the finger grooves and whether they fit or whether I can grind them off. That front groove looks too narrow for both my index and middle fingers to fit in but we'll see.

Am I just seeing things or does there appear to be a hole cut into the lock tab?

I like seeing designs evolve but if I'm honest I would have been just fine with an elongated Yo2.
I think it's the blade.....just like the little nub that hits your finger on the Lil' Native compression lock, could be wrong though? I can see where you think it looks like a hole the way that horizontal line lines up perfectly with the lock (hole or nub?).
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

benben wrote:
Wed May 06, 2020 6:24 am
Evil D wrote:
Wed May 06, 2020 6:13 am

I think it's the blade.....just like the little nub that hits your finger on the Lil' Native compression lock, could be wrong though? I can see where you think it looks like a hole the way that horizontal line lines up perfectly with the lock (hole or nub?).

Yeah I think you're right. It's been a rough morning :o
~David
Michael Janich

Post by Michael Janich »

Thanks, everyone, for sharing your initial thoughts on the YoJumbo.

My inspiration from it came primarily from many of my dedicated MBC students and instructors who have large hands and for whom the Yojimbo 2 was truly too small. If I was going to design something bigger, I wanted at least a four-inch blade, but without creating a giant novelty folder that nobody would actually carry. I also wanted the ergonomics to still accommodate folks with smaller hands as much as possible. To pack as much blade into the handle as possible and still get the edge to be the full length of the blade, a small section of the ricasso does nest in the lock well when closed. However, because the blade is so long, closing the knife without bumping your finger is an easily learned skill.

Like most Spyderco prototypes, the YoJumbo traveled around with our show crew to numerous trade shows and was shared with many Spyderco enthusiasts to get feedback. We were, of course, most interested in the feedback of folks with big hands. That feedback was very positive, but there is no such thing as a one-size-fits-all handle design--unless you want a hammer or a screwdriver with no design detail.

Having carried my first Yojimbo 2 daily for eight years, the G-10 scales finally became so smooth I retired it. To avoid that, and provide a better grip for large hands, I opted for coarse-textured G-10 on the YoJumbo.

The Trademark Round Hole on the blade is also fully accessible to both hands and provides a higher leverage point for one-handed opening. At the same time, the width of the closed knife isn't much more than the Yojimbo 2.

The tip strength issue is what it is. I participate in all of Spyderco's warranty repair meetings, where we review and analyze reports of knives returned for warranty/breakage issues to look for any patterns that might indicate issues that need to be addressed. If the Yojimbo 2's tip was indeed as fragile as the Internet claims it to be, we'd be getting broken tips in all the time. In reality, we don't.

If you're still concerned about it and want a Wharncliffe with greater tip strength, check out Kelly McCann's Canis, which has a straight cutting edge, narrow bevels, and a reinforced tip. Kell's inspiration for that design came after I gave him a first-gen Yojimbo as a gift--back when I was working with him on the Crucible folder and fixed blade designs. When I explained my preference for Wharncliffe blades, Kelly listened, immediately "got it," and correctly compared it to the cutting power of box cutters and other common street weapons. He also expressed concern over tip strength because his style of knife tactics is much more thrust-oriented. His solution was to narrow the primary blade bevels to move the crest of the grind line--and the thick part of the blade--closer to the point. That makes the point more stout, but also increases drag during cutting. Like everything else in knife design, it's a trade-off.

Thanks again for your interest in the YoJumbo. I look forward to even more detailed feedback once folks actually get them in their hands and can assess the ergonomics properly.

Stay safe,

Mike
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

Ya know, I really would love to see one in 204P & family
But, you can better bet theres not a thing wrong with s30v, and I will surely be getting one!!
This will be one more awesome Spydie!!
Cycletroll

Post by Cycletroll »

Mike, thanks for the added insight and history behind your creation. Having large hands, im looking forward to trying the Yojumbo!
Popsickle

Post by Popsickle »

levs18 wrote:
Tue May 05, 2020 9:04 pm
Amazingly pleased about this design, but s30v is going to make me wait.
This is what happened to the back lock manix 2. Lots of people loved the design but not the steel choice and opted to wait for a sprint. It did not happen because sales of the knife were low and it was discontinued

Buy now to support the initial run. I will be purchasing the initial run in hopes that later sprints will be produced
JohnAPA

Post by JohnAPA »

Geez, why all the hate for S30V? It'a a very practical steel.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

JohnAPA wrote:
Wed May 06, 2020 2:51 pm

Knife AFI's are a spoiled bunch. Hopefully it doesn't suffer the same fate as the Manix 2 back lock and so many other "base models" that didn't sell because they "only had S30V". It's a first world problem but I do kinda understand, there are so many knives and not always enough money to go around.
~David
JohnAPA

Post by JohnAPA »

Evil D wrote:
Wed May 06, 2020 2:54 pm
JohnAPA wrote:

Knife AFI's are a spoiled bunch. Hopefully it doesn't suffer the same fate as the Manix 2 back lock and so many other "base models" that didn't sell because they "only had S30V". It's a first world problem but I do kinda understand, there are so many knives and not always enough money to go around.
Have there been any hints on drop date?
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

JohnAPA wrote:
Wed May 06, 2020 3:10 pm
Evil D wrote:
JohnAPA wrote:

Have there been any hints on drop date?

Haven't heard of any.
~David
Popsickle

Post by Popsickle »

Evil D wrote:
JohnAPA wrote:

I’m glad I’m not he only one to feel this way. We are in the minority for sure on that
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Popsickle wrote:
Wed May 06, 2020 4:40 pm
Evil D wrote:
JohnAPA wrote:

I’m glad I’m not he only one to feel this way. We are in the minority for sure on that

I had my moment where I obsessed over steel, and I'll still get sucked back in depending on the combo, but these days I'm something like 90/10 in favor of design and ergonomics vs steel, and lately I'm even more interested in SE options in ANY steel option. Lots of the new models are cool but I won't be buying them because they're only available in PE. I honestly never dreamed I'd ever type that out but here we are.
~David
JohnAPA

Post by JohnAPA »

Evil D wrote:
Wed May 06, 2020 4:45 pm
Popsickle wrote:
Wed May 06, 2020 4:40 pm
Evil D wrote:
JohnAPA wrote:

I had my moment where I obsessed over steel, and I'll still get sucked back in depending on the combo, but these days I'm something like 90/10 in favor of design and ergonomics vs steel, and lately I'm even more interested in SE options in ANY steel option. Lots of the new models are cool but I won't be buying them because they're only available in PE. I honestly never dreamed I'd ever type that out but here we are.
I hope the knife gods accept you confession and that you, sir, shall be saved.
Dazen

Post by Dazen »

Love it, but I’ll wait for a CF/S90V or 20CV sprint!
Dane

“Stop buying your kids what you never had and start teaching them what you never knew!”
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

I like it, thanks for thinking of those of us with bigger hands Mike. :)

I feel like this would be the ultimate large box cutter for me. Maybe nice with Micarta handles.
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

You had me at made in Golden :D
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
TomH

Post by TomH »

I held this knife at the Taipei Meet. To me, it seemed extremely well balanced.
Also, Eric mentioned the great lock strength it has.