Swayback Lookout Thread

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Dazen

Re: Swayback Lookout Thread

Post by Dazen »

I might be an anomaly with the clip because I love both the spoon and wire equally. I think the Swayback would be awesome with either clip. I’m just ultimately happy it is at least a Spyderco production clip and not a one off like many collaborations.
Dane

“Stop buying your kids what you never had and start teaching them what you never knew!”
brumledb

Post by brumledb »

I can’t believe it doesn’t have the wire clip. That is definitely a major bummer for me. The shiny Spoon clip doesn’t look right to me at all. Maybe Slysz will offer a clip like Mcneese did for the mcbee.
gull wing

Post by gull wing »

Hoped for a 3"blade. Not liking the clip. .......MXG
SCARAMOUCHE! :bug-red-white
bikemonkey

Post by bikemonkey »

Hopefully they come out with a CQI or version 2 or something. I'd be all about this but it needs a wire clip badly. A 3" blade with a wire clip would be an insta-buy for me.
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

Don’t care about the clip as long as it does what it is supposed to do. If I don’t like it esthetically I can always replace it. Paying another 10% doesn’t seem like worrying about on a knife like this.
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

http://acehotel.blog

Team Innovation
swigert

Post by swigert »

Sharp Guy wrote:
Wed May 06, 2020 1:57 pm
My best guess on the clip is that they were trying to get as close as possible to Slysz' original design

They could have done a custom clip then that matches the scales. They have done enough custom clips the last few years.
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

swigert wrote:
Thu May 07, 2020 5:50 am
Sharp Guy wrote:
Wed May 06, 2020 1:57 pm
My best guess on the clip is that they were trying to get as close as possible to Slysz' original design

They could have done a custom clip then that matches the scales. They have done enough custom clips the last few years.
Atleast that one matches. For goodness sake, atleast use the Caribbean's Ti clip!

I would still prefer a wire clip, for continuity across the Slysz line.
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
Molle Ninja

Post by Molle Ninja »

For those who are disappointed in the size of the blade, it’s nearly the same as the original by Marcin.
mikey177

Post by mikey177 »

Sumdumguy wrote:
Thu May 07, 2020 5:59 am
Atleast that one matches. For goodness sake, atleast use the Caribbean's Ti clip!

Using the Caribbean Ti clip would have been a good idea. If I manage to get a Swayback, I was thinking of having the stock clip sandblasted to better match the Ti scales.
anycal

Post by anycal »

mikey177 wrote:
Thu May 07, 2020 8:24 am
Sumdumguy wrote:
Thu May 07, 2020 5:59 am

Using the Caribbean Ti clip would have been a good idea. If I manage to get a Swayback, I was thinking of having the stock clip sandblasted to better match the Ti scales.
Yeah, that would be a better match. Although, it has a lanyard hole...
Peter
spyderg

Post by spyderg »

I’ve been looking forward to this one for a long time. Now although I actually agree that aesthetically a wire clip might actually be better on this knife, I much prefer spoon clips. They are more comfortable, have better retention and don’t move around. Also easy to replace with aftermarket clips. Also as a lefty I’m happy to see a left carry option!
The problem for me with this one is going to be the price point, it’ll be $400cdn. That’s getting a bit crazy for a titanium framelock. I get it’s a collaboration but that’s really pushing it. I’ll probably break down and get one anyway, lol! But I’ll likely end up selling a few off to justify it to myself...
If you're wielding the sharpest tool in the shed, who's going to say that you aren't...?
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

That is one great looking knife, I must say. So much so, I might break down and buy it though it is a frame lock. How is the detent, I wonder?
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
di81ni

Post by di81ni »

I don’t mind the clip, but I would have preferred not having the extra holes for it. Especially since the rest of the knife is not exactly lefty-friendly.
If it was a more ambidextrous design I would understand it.
buckleys

Post by buckleys »

pre-order in Canada is up, jeez it's $435 cad after taxes before shipping :eek:
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

The price, size, not clip bothers me. I’m very excited for this release. A lynch clip will work nicely so I’m glad I have the option here.

The extra holes for lefties does bug me though.
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
Wolfy916

Post by Wolfy916 »

Liquid Cobra wrote:
Thu May 07, 2020 1:26 pm
The price, size, not clip bothers me. I’m very excited for this release. A lynch clip will work nicely so I’m glad I have the option here.

The extra holes for lefties does bug me though.
As a lefty I would normally obviously appreciate the extra holes, I noted in a another thread it made no sense on the spy opera not to have it. But on this knife it does not appear to be lefty friendly due to the overall design so no need for the ambi clip. Usually spyderco is a very left friendly company but this latest drop has a couple head scratchers.
Moses_3

Post by Moses_3 »

Do we know if it will be on PB washers or bearings? I would prefer ceramic bearings, but PB washers done well can be great. I think I just wonder if it will be as stiff as my Techno and Chubby.
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

Moses_3 wrote:
Sat May 09, 2020 4:46 pm
Do we know if it will be on PB washers or bearings? I would prefer ceramic bearings, but PB washers done well can be great. I think I just wonder if it will be as stiff as my Techno and Chubby.

:eek: 😂😂😂
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

Liquid Cobra wrote:
Sat May 09, 2020 6:09 pm
Moses_3 wrote:
Sat May 09, 2020 4:46 pm

:eek: 😂😂😂
This bit has fallen flat!

Started with a Chubby and ended with a Liquid Cobra...

...I'll show myself out.
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
Mike Slayer

Post by Mike Slayer »

I still want one. My only wish was a Vanax Superclean blade but it’s ok. As far as lock stick it’s never been an issue after some breaking in. The lock slip “issue” has always baffled me. I have a ZT that will do that very thing but with any folder I have ever owned have I ever worried about the lock slipping. Why would I ever need to whack the spin of the blade or press it in that direction unless I am closing it. Just like the lock test seeing which one can take the most weight before failure. Even the world’s strongest Man doesn’t need a lock that strong. In real world everyday use anybody with sense wouldn’t put anything even close to that much force on the lock in that direction. Look at folding knives before the locked blade was even a thing. My point is people finding problems where there is none then fussing about it. If you don’t a certain thing on a new model that is fine. A product can’t please everybody but most likey it can be change in the aftermarket so way or some how. I may not like everything about the Swayback but I still want one because overall it looks like a **** good pocket knife. Anything I don’t like can be changed or fixed if it bothers somebody that much. Myself instead of going on about the stuff I don’t like or would have preferred I will say Thank You Sal, Eric, Team Spyderco and Mr. Slysz for another awesome pocket knife option. Looking forward to getting a Yojumbo and Swayback soon enough.

P.S. I am not directing this toward a single individual just the knife community as a whole. Seems you just can’t make anybody happy these days.