Swayback Lookout Thread

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Sharp Guy

Re: Swayback Lookout Thread

Post by Sharp Guy »

FWIW, I didn't really mean to sound negative or bum anybody out about the Swayback. Just being honest about my first impressions. Like I said, it's a nice knife it just doesn't thrill me like I was hoping it would. I have no plans to get rid of it at this point. I'll keep it around and see if it grows on me

As far as opening. While I was originally messing around with it I could see the hole was sitting a little lower than normal in relation to the pivot. I tried using the pad of my thumb in a more outward motion rather than up an out. No good. I've looked at it more today. I still need to jam my thumbnail in the hole to open. Not sure what's up. I've opened enough Spydies that I'm pretty sure it's not user error
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
Wright.88

Post by Wright.88 »

Sharp Guy wrote:
Sun Jun 28, 2020 7:32 pm
FWIW, I didn't really mean to sound negative or bum anybody out about the Swayback. Just being honest about my first impressions. Like I said, it's a nice knife it just doesn't thrill me like I was hoping it would. I have no plans to get rid of it at this point. I'll keep it around and see if it grows on me

As far as opening. While I was originally messing around with it I could see the hole was sitting a little lower than normal in relation to the pivot. I tried using the pad of my thumb in a more outward motion rather than up an out. No good. I've looked at it more today. I still need to jam my thumbnail in the hole to open. Not sure what's up. I've opened enough Spydies that I'm pretty sure it's not user error
I was playing with mine earlier today and noticed it is pretty sensitive to how much pressure you’re putting on the lockbar when trying to open it. Try opening it while either holding it a little differently or putting as little pressure as possible on the opposite side of the knife on the lockbar. That should help with opening.
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

Wright.88 wrote:
Sun Jun 28, 2020 9:27 pm
Sharp Guy wrote:
Sun Jun 28, 2020 7:32 pm

I was playing with mine earlier today and noticed it is pretty sensitive to how much pressure you’re putting on the lockbar when trying to open it. Try opening it while either holding it a little differently or putting as little pressure as possible on the opposite side of the knife on the lockbar. That should help with opening.
Already thought about that too. I had a ZT like that. I figured it's lock bar pressure on this one as well. Except I can't reposition my hand and make it work. It works fine as long as I use my thumbnail to pull the blade out. Probably because I don't need to put as much pressure on the lock bar. I don't like having to think about how to open a particular knife. So this kind of messes with my OCD a bit.
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

By the way, I took some behind the edge measurements. I get .0175". Not bad considering the blade stock thickness
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

Mine came in, pretty happy with it. No issues with the lock.
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!
mikey177

Post by mikey177 »

Presently back in stock at KnivesShipFree. I finally managed to get one :)
mb1

Post by mb1 »

Just chiming in with my initial impressions. I find mine flips open well. If I try to slowly open it it is difficult, but an intentional flick works well. Very nice action.

Sweet hollow grind! You can see both logos at the same time edge on. :spyder: Nice thin edge geometry as noted already. Wicked thin tip already bit me!

Very unique piece. I have some traditional swayback’s, but this is a different animal.

- Mark

"Don't believe everything you think." -anonymous wise man
tbdoc4kids

Post by tbdoc4kids »

Got mine today. Lock bar pressure certainly does affect opening, but it is smooth as silk if you avoid that. Quite an elegant piece!
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

mb1 wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 12:37 pm
Just chiming in with my initial impressions. I find mine flips open well. If I try to slowly open it it is difficult, but an intentional flick works well. Very nice action.
Keep flicking it. As you may have read, I couldn't open mine slowly with the pad of my thumb. I had to use my tip of my thumb to pull the blade out. Then I started flicking it open using the same method. I might've opened it maybe 20 times and now I can open it slowly with the pad of my thumb.
mb1

Post by mb1 »

Sharp Guy wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 9:11 pm
mb1 wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 12:37 pm
Keep flicking it. As you may have read, I couldn't open mine slowly with the pad of my thumb. I had to use my tip of my thumb to pull the blade out. Then I started flicking it open using the same method. I might've opened it maybe 20 times and now I can open it slowly with the pad of my thumb.
Yeah I think it did ease up some with a little break in. I agree that it is sensitive to lock bar pressure and likes that sideways opening direction too.

I’m hoping this one grows on me. Taichung does such a nice job on the builds. I’m a huge Wharnie fan. Maybe it’s the clip or something, but I’m not loving it like I hoped I would. Not really sure why. It is a funky cool knife.
- Mark

"Don't believe everything you think." -anonymous wise man
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

Add me to the group that feels the clip is a negative on this model. I'm unclear as to how that made it past all the testing new knives get at Spyderco.
I think that the opening is meant to be two-handed while still offering one-hand opening. As a result of the design with the shrouded small opening hole, thumb opening can be difficult. I can see how it would be annoying to someone with larger fingers than mine. Once I accepted it as a two-hand open, I found peace with the design. Well, except for the clip.

Shown next to my GEC Swayback. Sorry for the quick cell phone picture.
swayback.jpg
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
SG89

Post by SG89 »

My first impressions after 30 min of ownership:
Love the nylon/canvas case over the old pleather style case.
Changed the clip to a 2 screw deep carry clip. The stock clip doesn't make any sense, sorry Spyderco/Mr. Slysz.
The smoothest action of any spyderco I've ever owned.
Fit and finish are flawless.
Working on getting it to open one handed as mentioned by other users. I don't mind opening this model 2 handed as it is based off a traditional design.
Slim in pocket and carries well.
Here's a pic of the clip I put on it:
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

Spydergirl88 wrote:
Wed Jul 01, 2020 6:44 pm
Changed the clip to a 2 screw deep carry clip. The stock clip doesn't make any sense, sorry Spyderco/Mr. Slysz.
Working on getting it to open one handed as mentioned by other users. I don't mind opening this model 2 handed as it is based off a traditional design.
Do you find the two hand opening is needed due to the Hole being deeper in the scale, or due to inadvertent pressure on the lock bar while opening?
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
SG89

Post by SG89 »

SpyderNut wrote:
Wed Jul 01, 2020 9:26 pm
Do you find the two hand opening is needed due to inadvertent pressure on the lock bar while opening?
Yes, 100 percent. To open it with one hand I have to really watch where my fingers are.
Spydergirl88
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

Spydergirl88 wrote:
Wed Jul 01, 2020 6:44 pm
Mine's certainly smooth but I can't honestly say it's the smoothest Spydie I own. I have several compression lock knives that feel smoother. To compare apples to apples (frame lock) my Mantra, Advocate, and Sage 2 feel a little smoother. The Swayback's brand new so I'll give it some time before forming any conclusions but I think the difference is the lock bar tension. The tension on the Swayback feels stronger which may be part of the reason why it's difficult to open. Speaking of opening, I mentioned last night that I was now able to open it with the pad of my thumb. Tonight I took the knife out the case, opened easily a couple times and then I couldn't open it again. I can use the tip of my thumb to pull it out no problem but not with the pad of my thumb. Something's changing and it's not the way I'm holding it. I may take it apart over the weekend and have a look.
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

I wonder if there are plans for a micarta linerlock version. Better yet, backlock. The ti versions are pretty but too expensive for me.
SG89

Post by SG89 »

Here's a comparison pic with the Watu:
Spydergirl88
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

Spydergirl88 wrote:
Wed Jul 01, 2020 9:30 pm
SpyderNut wrote:
Do you find the two hand opening is needed due to inadvertent pressure on the lock bar while opening?
Yes, 100 percent. To open it with one hand I have to really watch where my fingers are.
Thanks, that is interesting. I’ve had the same issue while trying to open my Sebenza, which is one reason I don’t carry it very often. It doesn’t seem to be an issue with the Slysz Bowie or even the Techno, so I’m thinking it has something to do with the height of the design itself.

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
SG89

Post by SG89 »

SpyderNut wrote:
Thu Jul 02, 2020 8:23 am
Spydergirl88 wrote:
SpyderNut wrote:
Thanks, that is interesting. I’ve had the same issue while trying to open my Sebenza, which is one reason I don’t carry it very often. It doesn’t seem to be an issue with the Slysz Bowie or even the Techno, so I’m thinking it has something to do with the height of the design itself.
Yeah I haven't had this issue with the techno or spydiechef either
Spydergirl88
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

Spydergirl88 wrote:
Thu Jul 02, 2020 8:38 am
SpyderNut wrote:
Thu Jul 02, 2020 8:23 am
Spydergirl88 wrote:
SpyderNut wrote:
Yeah I haven't had this issue with the techno or spydiechef either
But overall, do you like the Swayback? I remember falling in love with the prototype at Blade a couple of years ago. As you and others mentioned, I’m not wild about the production version’s pocket clip, but it’s a small thing that can be remedied with an aftermarket clip, like you did.