Swayback Lookout Thread

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
GarageBoy

Re: Swayback Lookout Thread

Post by GarageBoy »

I know the swayback handle is "upside down" to make drawcuts easier, but how does it handle holding it normally?
Nemo3000

Post by Nemo3000 »

GarageBoy wrote:
Thu Apr 22, 2021 5:46 pm
I know the swayback handle is "upside down" to make drawcuts easier, but how does it handle holding it normally?

It performs just great. I have never been annoyed by the handle in hammer grip.

It is really confortable compared to my Paramillie 2:

As you can see:

Last edited by Nemo3000 on Sat Jun 19, 2021 5:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
jdw

Post by jdw »

The same couple of people sure do hype this thread a lot.
Do right always. It will give you satisfaction in life.
--Wovoka
jdw

Post by jdw »

GarageBoy wrote:

The butt of the handle digs into your hand really badly for any real use. The Ti scales are too heavy to make it a legitimate work or hiking knife and Ti is a poor choice for either use anyway. It gets cold/hot and slick quickly. There are a lot of attractive pictures of it in this thread that are supposed to show outdoor use but I have never had a knife with Ti scales be so free of snail trails and marks after any real outdoor use. Some people on here obviously love it but it is a huge fail in all categories except looks for me.
Last edited by jdw on Sat Jun 19, 2021 5:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
--Wovoka
Nemo3000

Post by Nemo3000 »

jdw wrote:
Sat Jun 19, 2021 5:12 am
GarageBoy wrote:
The butt of the handle digs into your hand really badly for any real use. The Ti scales are too heavy to make it a legitimate work knife plus the blade is very thin. There are a lot of attractive pictures of it in this thread that are supposed to show outdoor use but I have never had a knife with Ti scales be so free of snail trails and marks after any real outdoor use. Some people on here obviously love it but it is a huge fail in all categories except looks for me.

Not using our knives.... LOL.

Snail Trails happen when wearing silver rings on the main hand. I don't see how it can happen when not wearing silver or even using gloves. I use my knives in all conditions and I have never had any snail trails on titanium by just using them bare hands. Also keeping the pocket free from metallic objects prevent it from any marks: titanium is very soft compared to steel.

About the Swayback handle's butt digging in the palm:
Actually when cutting with a knife, there is a pivot effect. The axis is right on the middle of the deployed knife (so close to the main screw). The knife in your hand is rotating in the opposing way of the resistance. The harder it is, the less pressure on your palm and the more on your closed fingers.
Which means: the handle's butt is simply not more digging in your palm when using the knife. On the contrary, the handle will forcing on your closed fingers.
It is obvious when you use your knives in the wild !!

When making force cuts on a table the back of the handle can dig in your palm. The Swayback is not the most forceful board cutting friendly for obvious reasons: the shape of the blade but it works great for precise cuts on board, like a boxcutter.
The Spydiechef is much better (perfect?) for that chore. The Kapara too. Even the Yojimbo is better for kitchen boards ! ;-)

The blade of the Swayback is thicker than the blade of my Kapara, my stretch even my Endura for example.
All are working knives. The Swayback blade is not fragile even with its pointy design. Much less fragile than my Yojimbo which I also use in the woods with great pleasure. Again working on wood implies all the blade not only the point.
(My only broken tip in wood chore has been my Ronin's. It has been reground and since has delivered great performance too.)

I don't understand how the Swayback blade could be considered too thin. Compared to what ? The Shaman's blade ?
The Delica got a thin blade and it is made as a working knife too. I don't understand those assumptions unless they are made only for pure antagonism.
We say in French: "Quand tu veux tuer ton chien, tu dis qu'il a la rage."
"When you want to kill your dog, you say he has rabies"

So really, based on my own experience, the Swayback is a pleasure for free hands hard wood cutting. Like making walking sticks or tent's pegs. The Ti Scales are not too heavy for me. The Swayback is very well balanced compared to his historical models which are much more butt heavy. The 3D handle is an eye candy and palm friendly.
Also compared to my old Sebenza, the Swayback got much less hot spots when used hard. The Sebbie can get painful and I prefer to use it with gloves on.

The Swayback's blade is very Chris Reeve's in this matter: the thin edge and the rounded spine makes it very pleasant for whittling though. But for hard forceful cut, like those "the chest-pull technique", zero issue for me on the contrary I have been surprised how hard I could go without discomfort.

This is my experience after one year of using it in comparaison with Millie, Kapara, Paramillie, Chief and Spydiechef, Endura, Police, Delica, Para3, Siren, Amalgame or even K2... (just for the Spyderco's...)

Pictures of three titanium knives used in the outdoors. The Sebenza is from the 90's.....
Guess I know how to keep them fresh.
Taking care of your tools is also mandatory and titanium is really really easy to keep "like new" with any sandpaper of jeweler pad.

At least I'm providing pictures, not only assomptions without any proof. And following Piter pictures on instagram is also a pleasure for the eyes as he is a great photographer.

Much more pictures here:
https://nemoknivesreview.com/2020/11/17 ... hronicles/
https://nemoknivesreview.com/2020/08/14 ... and-child/

(Thank you Spyderco for providing "Ignore List" when antagonism is another name for trolling.
And sorry for the many editing: not my mother tongue.)
Last edited by Nemo3000 on Sat Jun 19, 2021 12:39 pm, edited 19 times in total.
jdw

Post by jdw »

Nemo3000 wrote:
Sat Jun 19, 2021 5:17 am
jdw wrote:
GarageBoy wrote:
The butt of the handle digs into your hand really badly for any real use. The Ti scales are too heavy to make it a legitimate work knife plus the blade is very thin. There are a lot of attractive pictures of it in this thread that are supposed to show outdoor use but I have never had a knife with Ti scales be so free of snail trails and marks after any real outdoor use. Some people on here obviously love it but it is a huge fail in all categories except looks for me.

Not using our knives.... LOL.

Three titanium knives used in the outdoors. The Sebenza is from the 90's.....

At least we are providing pictures, not only assomptions.

I don't feel the need to post pictures, buddy. I use my knives and give my opinions, it's an open forum. I honestly hope that it really works out for you. It doesn't work for me.
--Wovoka
Nemo3000

Post by Nemo3000 »

Two pictures of Piter which I really like:

And my own kitchen testing on dry chestnut... before convexing a little my Swayback for better results.

Much better...
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

jdw wrote:
GarageBoy wrote:

The butt of the handle digs into your hand really badly for any real use. The Ti scales are too heavy to make it a legitimate work or hiking knife and Ti is a poor choice for either use anyway. It gets cold/hot and slick quickly. There are a lot of attractive pictures of it in this thread that are supposed to show outdoor use but I have never had a knife with Ti scales be so free of snail trails and marks after any real outdoor use. Some people on here obviously love it but it is a huge fail in all categories except looks for me.
Eh? I think you're in the minority on that one.

The Swayback is an interesting knife, for sure. There are some things about it I didn't like at first, such as the clip and the reduced thumbhole access. An aftermarket clip solved the first problem, and a bit of familiarity solved the second.

I think the Swayback is one of those knives that need some extra carry and use (and maybe some slight adjustment like a different clip) in order to fully appreciate. I like mine now, and find it a great work knife which I use and carry daily. Of course, it won't be for everyone.
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
Nemo3000

Post by Nemo3000 »

Just checking the blade thickness.
The Swayback is 3.5mm.
The Endura is 3
The Stretch is 3
The Para3 is 3.7

And this is a picture of today!
Happy Swayback's Saturday everybody!!!
Cheers!!!

samdasnake

Post by samdasnake »

For those interested, the Swayback is now back in stock at SFO.
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

Got in some good use today.
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
Nemo3000

Post by Nemo3000 »

Nice shot Connor !

Been processing some turkey meat this morning for Sunday's lunch. So it was cutting board chore.
I kept my Kapara aside and decided to go full Swayback. It went very well even with the absence of belly in contact wth the bench.
The tip of the blade was really handy for removing any unwanted parts like "nerves".

Now enjoying a tea in the sun:

Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

I like the design quite a lot and would love to try it, it just costs far too much for me. Go G10 or FRN so the price drops to ~$120 to $140 or so and I can justify trying it out.
Nemo3000

Post by Nemo3000 »

Woodpuppy wrote:
Sun Jun 20, 2021 8:21 am
I like the design quite a lot and would love to try it, it just costs far too much for me. Go G10 or FRN so the price drops to ~$120 to $140 or so and I can justify trying it out.
Could ask the same for the Nirvana or the Paysan... A FRN Paysan won't be that expensive after all. :-D
Part of the charm of those expensive knives is the way titanium is used on the handle.

It's always possible to try a Swayback design like a Case:
https://youtu.be/SkzPx6xxisY

Swayback are old designs and desserve more uses especially if your love whittling.

Picture of my last bought folders. The Swayback one year ago. The Rex45 Chief this winter and the C20V Kapara this spring.

Airlsee

Post by Airlsee »

Nemo3000 wrote:
Sun Jun 20, 2021 10:31 am
Woodpuppy wrote:
Sun Jun 20, 2021 8:21 am
Could ask the same for the Nirvana or the Paysan... A FRN Paysan won't be that expensive after all. :-D
Part of the charm of those expensive knives is the way titanium is used on the handle.

It's always possible to try a Swayback design like a Case:
https://youtu.be/SkzPx6xxisY

Swayback are old designs and desserve more uses especially if your love whittling.

Picture of my last bought folders. The Swayback one year ago. The Rex45 Chief this winter and the C20V Kapara this spring.

Very nice choices! I love all three as well!! I picked up the Swayback when G&R did their 30% off sale, got it for $200. It is great at any price, but mine is never going anywhere.

So it goes.
Nemo3000

Post by Nemo3000 »

Airlsee wrote:
Sun Jun 20, 2021 10:36 am

Very nice choices! I love all three as well!! I picked up the Swayback when G&R did their 30% off sale, got it for $200. It is great at any price, but mine is never going anywhere.
Beautiful picture. I also see a friend lurking at the table too ! :-)

Lucky you ! I have paid mine $356 !!! (300 euros here in France).
Anyway the VAT are now applicable (1st of July 2021) and also adding the importation taxes... Buying Spydercos is getting harder from Europe.
The Golden Days of Internet are over...
Airlsee

Post by Airlsee »

Nemo3000 wrote:
Sun Jun 20, 2021 10:41 am
Airlsee wrote:

Anyway the VAT are now applicable (1st of July 2021) and also adding the importation taxes... Buying Spydercos is getting harder from Europe.

Ouch!! Yeah, that would really make collecting Spydies much harder. I wish you guys didn't have to go through so much trouble to get these awesome tools.
So it goes.
Nemo3000

Post by Nemo3000 »

Airlsee wrote:
Sun Jun 20, 2021 10:44 am
Nemo3000 wrote:
Airlsee wrote:

Ouch!! Yeah, that would really make collecting Spydies much harder. I wish you guys didn't have to go through so much trouble to get these awesome tools.

Of the three: Swayback, Rex45 Chief and C20V Kapara, what do you love for each design ?
Airlsee

Post by Airlsee »

Nemo3000 wrote:
Sun Jun 20, 2021 11:24 am
Of the three: Swayback, Rex45 Chief and C20V Kapara, what do you love for each design ?

I think that I've probably talked about all of them somewhere around here at different points.

Swayback: Love the profile, the slender long wharncliffe blade gives excellent cutting power and a lot of length. It's a beautiful and extremely robust knife. Weight is very good for size. I added an MXG deep carry clip.

Rex Chief: I was surprised by how much I like this one. First of all I have Rex45 in many models and knew that it was good to go. The Chief though was as large as I expected but carried and handled like a much smaller knife. It carries identical to the Native 5, isn't too much heavier and gives you a ton of blade and handle to grip & maneuver in whatever ways you can imagine.

20CV Kapara: This was my first Kapara, I knew 20CV was good. The Kapara is wonderfully sleek, gives a very nice amount of blade, is very light, ergonomic, deep carry, the compression lock works perfectly for me on this design. Unique. I really enjoy being able to grip up and utilize the blades of the Chief and Kapara.

Nemo3000 wrote:

Haha! Thanks! That's Bailey, she's infinitely curious!
So it goes.
Nemo3000

Post by Nemo3000 »

Airlsee wrote:
Sun Jun 20, 2021 12:47 pm
Nemo3000 wrote:
Sun Jun 20, 2021 11:24 am

I think that I've probably talked about all of them somewhere around here at different points.

Swayback: Love the profile, the slender long wharncliffe blade gives excellent cutting power and a lot of length. It's a beautiful and extremely robust knife. Weight is very good for size. I added an MXG deep carry clip.

Rex Chief: I was surprised by how much I like this one. First of all I have Rex45 in many models and knew that it was good to go. The Chief though was as large as I expected but carried and handled like a much smaller knife. It carries identical to the Native 5, isn't too much heavier and gives you a ton of blade and handle to grip & maneuver in whatever ways you can imagine.

20CV Kapara: This was my first Kapara, I knew 20CV was good. The Kapara is wonderfully sleek, gives a very nice amount of blade, is very light, ergonomic, deep carry, the compression lock works perfectly for me on this design. Unique. I really enjoy being able to grip up and utilize the blades of the Chief and Kapara.

Nemo3000 wrote:

Haha! Thanks! That's Bailey, she's infinitely curious!
Lucky you twice ! :-)
Thank you for your little reviews. I'm totally agree with you. The robust side of the Swayback is something you need to practice to understand. I was able to twist its blade in wood cutting: zero damage and zero play.