Swayback Lookout Thread

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
BG-ThatsMe

Re: Swayback Lookout Thread

Post by BG-ThatsMe »

Sumdumguy wrote:
Fri Nov 27, 2020 9:19 pm
Josh modifies them to fit the knife.

The screw pattern isn't 100% perfect, it's made for a PM2 and then modified to the curve of the Swayback.

It works, you just have to slowly screw it on, alternating between screws until it seats. Once it's on, it's rock solid.
This is good info. Thank you
Bdubs808

Post by Bdubs808 »

nerdlock wrote:
Fri Nov 27, 2020 3:27 pm

I can't believe I just only noticed the Schrute farms background. I think Dwight would love this knife. Perfektenschlag! LOL. :D

On a more serious note, what clip are you using?
That is a MXG deep carry clip more geared to the Manix or Native. Dwight would like the knife, until he reads "Taiwan" on it. Who knows, maybe 2020 Dwight would be less opinionated about Made in USA. But probably not.
Airlsee

Post by Airlsee »

Sumdumguy wrote:

The screw pattern isn't 100% perfect, it's made for a PM2 and then modified to the curve of the Swayback.

It works, you just have to slowly screw it on, alternating between screws until it seats. Once it's on, it's rock solid.
Did you order the clip from a retailer and then send it to him, or did you order the modified clip from him directly?

I've got a Swayback on the way and definitely need to get one of Josh's clips put on it ASAP, that looks like the clip that should have come on the knife!
So it goes.
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

Airlsee wrote:
Mon Nov 30, 2020 5:53 pm
Sumdumguy wrote:

Did you order the clip from a retailer and then send it to him, or did you order the modified clip from him directly?

I've got a Swayback on the way and definitely need to get one of Josh's clips put on it ASAP, that looks like the clip that should have come on the knife!
Directly from him.
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
RadioactiveSpyder

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

Airlsee wrote:
Sumdumguy wrote:

You can do either actually - order it from him directly or buy one and send it along with the knife. I was the first person to send him a Swayback to fit his clip on, and I purchased the clip before the Swayback was released. Once I had the knife in hand, I immediately knew it needed to be rounded out on the bottom to match the scale contour, and since it’s Josh’s clip and I typically have him reprofile my higher-end Spydie blade edges, I asked him if he wouldn’t mind doing it.

The Taichung 3-hole pattern is not quite the same spacing as the Golden ones (the holes are a bit wider apart on the Taichung version), but you can fit these clips on just fine, just be careful seating and screwing them in as mentioned. To me, they were the obvious choice for an aftermarket option, being as close to the prototype as I could find plus Josh’s work is always phenomenal, no matter what he works on! Having his razor edge on the Swayback is an added bonus. Cheers, Radioactive
It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
Airlsee

Post by Airlsee »

RadioactiveSpyder wrote:
Tue Dec 01, 2020 11:19 pm
Airlsee wrote:
Sumdumguy wrote:

You can do either actually - order it from him directly or buy one and send it along with the knife. I was the first person to send him a Swayback to fit his clip on, and I purchased the clip before the Swayback was released. Once I had the knife in hand, I immediately knew it needed to be rounded out on the bottom to match the scale contour, and since it’s Josh’s clip and I typically have him reprofile my higher-end Spydie blade edges, I asked him if he wouldn’t mind doing it.

The Taichung 3-hole pattern is not quite the same spacing as the Golden ones (the holes are a bit wider apart on the Taichung version), but you can fit these clips on just fine, just be careful seating and screwing them in as mentioned. To me, they were the obvious choice for an aftermarket option, being as close to the prototype as I could find plus Josh’s work is always phenomenal, no matter what he works on! Having his razor edge on the Swayback is an added bonus. Cheers, Radioactive

Thank you for all the info, I sent him a message on IG asking if he is selling modified clips for the Swayback and I haven't received a response yet, I ordered a deep carry MXG clip in the mean time...I've never had him regrind anything before...so wasn't sure if he was readily wanting to do modified one off clips. If he responds I may still pick up one of clips because I love the aesthetics!
So it goes.
PiterM

Post by PiterM »

Autumn vibes with Marcin Slysz knives... and yeah, that's oldschool Marcin's custom kiridashi :)

Tool by WoroKnives (easy to find on IG)

PiterM

Post by PiterM »

Spyderco Swayback coffee...

JMM

Post by JMM »

Sumdumguy wrote:
Fri Nov 27, 2020 8:12 pm
Sharp Guy wrote:
Sumdumguy wrote:
Fri Nov 27, 2020 5:32 pm
Edit: Dang XHP is not very stainless. I'm going to have to put a desiccant packet in with it.
Do you live by the ocean? Never had an issue with any staining on XHP
Nope, the mountains of Georgia. I had it put up in the pouch for the past few months and when I took it out, the edge had quite a few orange speckles on it.

Nothing major. But, I will definitely add a desiccant pack to it when it gets put up.
BG-ThatsMe wrote:
Fri Nov 27, 2020 5:54 pm
Sumdumguy wrote:
Fri Nov 27, 2020 5:32 pm
Decided to get it out and give it another whirl. I tried what Nemo said and was pleasantly surprised.

Just moving my index finger onto the pivot, made it open much nicer. Still wish it was a bit smaller.
But, it may actually see some use now.

Edit: Dang XHP is not very stainless. I'm going to have to put a desiccant packet in with it.

That clip looks great on your Swayback. Is that a 3-hole from Razor Edge?
Yes it is. Modified to fit the curve. The original clip was unacceptable to my eye. I bought the clip before I bought the knife, haha.
FWIW, I live where it's humid, wet. or both pretty much all year round, and XHP *WILL RUST* -- however, since discovering this fun fact, I just treat XHP like my tool steels and keep a thin coating of mineral oil on the blade and I've had zero issues since. It's cheap, easy to find, and food safe. :)
PiterM

Post by PiterM »

Frozen... ;)

Nemo3000

Post by Nemo3000 »

Always great pictures Piter !! :-)
mikey177

Post by mikey177 »

Your photo encouraged me to carry the Swayback today.
Attachments
swayback gate.jpg
PiterM

Post by PiterM »

Nice shot!

And below an Evolution of Spyderco Swayback. The green one is Marcin Slysz custom slipjoint -> then his custom framelock in the middle -> and finally production Spyderco Swayback on the right.

PiterM

Post by PiterM »

So yeah, after good half year of using my Swayback I put together a full review. It covers all conditions (summer heat and subzero in January and February), all environments (forests, lakes, high mountains in sunny autumn and freezing winter), and even office use as well. So grab your Monday morning coffee and enjoy :)

Spyderco Swayback Review: https://packconfig.com/review/review-spyderco-swayback/

PiterM

Post by PiterM »

Finally got my leather slip for Swayback:

Airlsee

Post by Airlsee »

PiterM wrote:
Mon Mar 22, 2021 3:10 am
So yeah, after good half year of using my Swayback I put together a full review. It covers all conditions (summer heat and subzero in January and February), all environments (forests, lakes, high mountains in sunny autumn and freezing winter), and even office use as well. So grab your Monday morning coffee and enjoy :)

Spyderco Swayback Review: https://packconfig.com/review/review-spyderco-swayback/

Great review, I really enjoy my Swayback as well!
So it goes.
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

PiterM wrote:
Mon Mar 22, 2021 3:10 am

Top notch review! I really enjoyed that. You take some great photos too. :cool:

Even though it's a bit pricey for me personally, It's nice to see a model like this get a bit more love, instead of the complaints I mostly see about it.
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

-Nick :bug-red
PiterM

Post by PiterM »

Just a late night dump... enjoy!

curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

Nice shots!
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!