Swayback Lookout Thread

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Gsg9

Re: Swayback Lookout Thread

Post by Gsg9 »

Mine arrived.
I don't any have problems opening it one-handed.

Nice quality piece, everything looking good except the shinny clip.

The clip doesn't fit with the rest of the design, needs a custom clip, I still don't get it why they didn't put the wire clip as the rest of Slisz designs.

Still not quite up to the level of fit and finish of Bowie.

And Spydiechef is not in the same category of fit and finish compared to these two.

marshmallow

Post by marshmallow »

My Swayback just arrived. Wow, what a beautiful finish on the blade. Action and opening is silky smooth. I don't understand how some had issues with it. The spydie hole is small, but if you just flick the action open with your thumb nail, was a cinch.
"stay puft."
SSD_777

Post by SSD_777 »

Gsg9 wrote:
Mon Jul 13, 2020 3:33 am
Mine arrived.
I don't any have problems opening it one-handed.

Nice quality piece, everything looking good except the shinny clip.

The clip doesn't fit with the rest of the design, needs a custom clip, I still don't get it why they didn't put the wire clip as the rest of Slisz designs.

Still not quite up to the level of fit and finish of Bowie.

And Spydiechef is not in the same category of fit and finish compared to these two.
What makes the Bowie so much better in the fit and finish department than the Spydiechef and Swayback?
Bdubs808

Post by Bdubs808 »

I am enjoying this knife for its F&F and smooth action; the wait for it's release was worth it. I think the clip was okay, but I think the wire clip would be ideal as well. I had a titanium deep carry clip for my Native and decided to mount it to my Swayback. I think its much better now.
Good job Spyderco, and great design Mr. Slysz.
spyderg

Post by spyderg »

Mine just arrived minutes ago! But already I can say I love it! As a lefty it is ideal to flick open, plenty of access to the hole and even opening it with my right hand it’s just fine. I have large hands and extra large hitchhiker thumbs. On top of that, I had a severe injury to my right hand years ago leaving me with very reduced dexterity and movement in my ring, middle and index fingers. I’m confused by opening complaints?
I am thrilled that Spyderco used the standard clip! I think it looks and feels fine. I however have opted to go with a Lynch deep carry. Photo will show why. With my fairly large hand, the point at the back sits where it would dig in a bit, (I filed similar spot on my lrg Sebenza) in this case the protrusion of the clip helps spread out the contact almost eliminating what would be a bit of a hot spot.
5F7E1BD3-71D9-431B-8B2C-B707C32843E3.jpeg
On top of that it’s finish is very close to that of the scales, so while I didn’t mind the shiney clip, I prefer this look.
Now for the problem...I already cut up all my cardboard for recycling yesterday so I have nothing to cut!
If you're wielding the sharpest tool in the shed, who's going to say that you aren't...?
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

spyderg wrote:
Tue Jul 14, 2020 11:38 am
Mine just arrived minutes ago! But already I can say I love it! As a lefty it is ideal to flick open, plenty of access to the hole and even opening it with my right hand it’s just fine.......I’m confused by opening complaints?
Honestly not sure what's happening with them. Mine was just plain stuck when I tried to roll the blade out with my thumb. I could pull the blade out using my thumb nail in the hole. Not sure but I think the downward pressure I was putting on the blade in order to get enough purchase in the hole to role the blade out made it too hard to overcome the detent. Again, not sure because all of a sudden it became much easier. Then, I took the knife out the next day and I couldn't open it again. That's when I took it apart and re-assembled. Ever since I've been able to open it with ease. I haven't changed how I hold the knife or how much pressure I apply to the hole either. It opens pretty much like any other Spyderco frame lock I have except it's a more outward rotation than my Sage 2, Mantra, or Advocate. I was a little frustrated with it at first but it's great now
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
spyderg

Post by spyderg »

Sharp Guy wrote:
Tue Jul 14, 2020 1:05 pm
spyderg wrote:
Tue Jul 14, 2020 11:38 am
Mine just arrived minutes ago! But already I can say I love it! As a lefty it is ideal to flick open, plenty of access to the hole and even opening it with my right hand it’s just fine.......I’m confused by opening complaints?
Honestly not sure what's happening with them. Mine was just plain stuck when I tried to roll the blade out with my thumb. I could pull the blade out using my thumb nail in the hole. Not sure but I think the downward pressure I was putting on the blade in order to get enough purchase in the hole to role the blade out made it too hard to overcome the detent. Again, not sure because all of a sudden it became much easier. Then, I took the knife out the next day and I couldn't open it again. That's when I took it apart and re-assembled. Ever since I've been able to open it with ease. I haven't changed how I hold the knife or how much pressure I apply to the hole either. It opens pretty much like any other Spyderco frame lock I have except it's a more outward rotation than my Sage 2, Mantra, or Advocate. I was a little frustrated with it at first but it's great now
I can tell it is rather sensitive to lockbar pressure, but even with my limited right hand capabilities and large thumb, I can easily, comfortably and reliably operate it, thumb flick or slow roll.
If you're wielding the sharpest tool in the shed, who's going to say that you aren't...?
SteveMidwest

Post by SteveMidwest »

I see that @apurvisblades is making clips for the Swayback now. :spyder:

I love the look of these. :D

This Clip, Sways too! :p

jdw

Post by jdw »

That's really cool. I eventually removed the clip from mine and it is a much smoother action. Kind of weird though to jump through so many hoops on such an expensive knife. It would make a great small fixed blade though.

Edit: I mainly try to say nice things and I am glad that y'all like the cool design but after another Sunday morning of harvesting veggies I believe that I could easily find a less expensive gardening tool.
Do right always. It will give you satisfaction in life.
--Wovoka
elqfaltaba

Post by elqfaltaba »

Finally in my hands, I love this folding knife.

My thanks to Marcin Slysz and Spyderco.
PiterM

Post by PiterM »

Some of my favorite ways to start a fire in the wild... and Swayback to make the feather sticks:

PiterM

Post by PiterM »

Just some autumn vibes...

curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

Great shots!
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!
PiterM

Post by PiterM »

In terrain...
PiterM

Post by PiterM »

Evening coffee with Swayback...

Gsg9

Post by Gsg9 »

Nice pics.
But will probably not raise the sales for this model for your co-national/friend.
I have a feeling that this is not that popular, from the reviews online or even on this forum.
And it's expensive.
I can live with its defects, but that's just me.
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

Gsg9 wrote:
Tue Oct 27, 2020 9:27 am
Nice pics.
But will probably not raise the sales for this model for your co-national/friend.
I have a feeling that this is not that popular, from the reviews online or even on this forum.
And it's expensive.
I can live with its defects, but that's just me.
Way to be so optimistic! :)

Mine's been defect free. I guess I got lucky. I had some intermittent problems opening it first. That somehow cleared up and it's been great ever since. I can open it now regardless of how I hold it. The action is really smooth and the blade shape is great. I think the biggest problem is the price. Well worth it in my opinion. At some point the Swayback will be discontinued and then everyone will be clamoring for one
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
PiterM

Post by PiterM »

Gsg9 wrote:
Tue Oct 27, 2020 9:27 am
Nice pics.
Thanks! Yeah, I love photography, of course.

And simply buy whatever makes you happy :)
gbcaffee

Post by gbcaffee »

I put a deep carry Lynch clip on mine that I had sitting on a delica that I never use. The Lynch clip relieved some of the pressure off the frame lock and it opens so much easier now. I really like this knife. It's been my most carried knife recently. Carries great, and I've really come to appreciate the wharncliffe blade and hollow grind. I was at someone's house and they had an empty box from a screen door that they hadn't broken down yet, so I tried the knife, simply holding the cardboard up in the air and slicing left to right horizontally. Cut through it like butter. I was amazed at the ease the blade moved through the heavy cardboard.
gbcaffee

Post by gbcaffee »

My two most recent pocket dwellers.
Attachments
E144A816-74FA-4A81-9C48-1E9BF1387CBA.jpeg