Swayback Lookout Thread

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
SG89

Re: Swayback Lookout Thread

Post by SG89 »

Well, well, well... Oops I did it again. Bought another spydie 😬
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

I just got home and opened mine. It's nice but not sure about it
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

this knife makes me wish i could justify ever spending so much on a single pocket knife. i just can’t do it. you can buy a manix and a yojimbo for the same price.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
SG89

Post by SG89 »

Sharp Guy wrote:
Sat Jun 27, 2020 9:18 pm
What are you not sure about? Just wondering.
Spydergirl88
Wright.88

Post by Wright.88 »

I received mine today. Amazing fit and finish, reminds me of the Slysz Bowie with the mirror-polish stonewashed blade and contoured Ti handles. Super smooth opening, solid lockup, no lock stick, and razor sharp edge. I don’t have calipers but feels decently thin behind the edge with the hollow grind. I’m not normally a fan of wharncliffe blades but I am definitely going to give this one a try and see if the blade shape grows on me.

I reeaally wish this came with a wire clip. And to make that worse, the stock hourglass clip is taller than any other hourglass clip from Spyderco I’ve seen before (meaning it sits higher off the scales). Also, I tried to put on a stock hourglass clip from one of my PM2s and the lateral pocket clip holes on the Swayback seem to be a little farther apart than on most spydies that made putting the PM2 clip on really difficult. I stopped because I didn’t want to strip the screws/threads since the screw was going in at a little bit of an angle due to the difference in hole distance. I put a Lynch deep carry clip on it and since the pocket clip holes are so high on the Swayback the lynch clip hangs over the top of the scale a decent amount. It’s not ideal but that’s the way I’m going to carry it for now. The stock clip was just too tall and I thought it was pretty uncomfortable in the hand. The knife feels great in hand with the lynch clip installed.

Oh, last thing. This is one of the thinnest tips I’ve seen on a knife. I’m sure some will complain about it being too thin/delicate but I think it’ll be great for fine detail work. I took a quick picture of it next to a PM2 (which many people say already has a delicate tip) - the Swayback is significantly thinner than the PM2 at the tip.

So the pocket clip is really the only thing I don’t like about the knife out of the box. If I really like the knife after using it for a few weeks I’ll probably order a MXG Gear clip that doesn’t sit as high as the lynch clip. Then it’ll be perfect!

Album with pictures showing the different in height of Swayback pocket clip vs. PM2 clip, difference in pocket clip hole distance, Swayback with Lynch clip installed, and the tip compared to a PM2: https://imgur.com/a/bq5lYTy
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

Spydergirl88 wrote:
Sat Jun 27, 2020 9:30 pm
Sharp Guy wrote:
I guess after all the anticipation for this one I'm feeling underwhelmed by it. I have a lot of Ti frame locks and the Swayback doesn't really thrill me considering the price. I can't open it with the pad of my thumb either. I have to jam my thumbnail in the small hole to pry it open. Makes it kind of awkward. Not sure why. The detent doesn't seem overly strong. I'll keep checking it out but this one's a big miss for me at this point
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
Wright.88

Post by Wright.88 »

Sharp Guy wrote:
Sat Jun 27, 2020 11:02 pm
Spydergirl88 wrote:
Sharp Guy wrote:
I guess after all the anticipation for this one I'm feeling underwhelmed by it. I have a lot of Ti frame locks and the Swayback doesn't really thrill me considering the price. I can't open it with the pad of my thumb either. I have to jam my thumbnail in the small hole to pry it open. Makes it kind of awkward. Not sure why. The detent doesn't seem overly strong. I'll keep checking it out but this one's a big miss for me at this point
It is a little harder to open. What helped me was to open the knife more “out” instead of “up.” So instead of trying to push the Spyderco hole straight up toward the pivot push it more out 90 degrees to the left, if that makes sense. Makes it a lot easier to open for me.
jdw

Post by jdw »

Wow folks. I have buyers remorse and the knife hasn't even shipped yet.
Do right always. It will give you satisfaction in life.
--Wovoka
RadioactiveSpyder

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

You have buyers remorse from one less than positive comment but the other few pages of praise don’t matter? This is meant to be a gentleman’s (and ladies) fine folder - think along the lines of the Centofante Memory - thin, stylish, small round hole, and a wonderful thin slicey blade.

I’m 6’4” with large hands and I have zero issue opening the Swayback, and it has only become smoother over the week of me handling and using it. Mine absolutely doesn’t have a weak detent, and I tried my hardest to get the blade to shake out with zero success.

It is expensive and cost twice as much as a regular Golden model? Yes, but I shouldn’t have to even mention why that is given the choices of contoured Ti (vs flat G10 handles), mirror-finish XHP blade with rounded polished spine and Spydiehole (vs satin ground with obvious grinding lines), and not to mention the royalties I’m sure Mr. Slysz likes to receive from seeing thousands of his knives sold in a production run that very well mimics his customs.

The Swayback is certainly as well made as its Slysz siblings, and nearly all folks will agree with that. If the particular styling of it with it being so thin, having the Swayback handle shape, or a long thin wharnie blade isn’t your thing to begin with, then obviously this one won’t float your boat as much. While it may cost 2X a Manix 2, it’s certainly worth more than twice that in fit and finish to me. If you want to compare it to the high end, a lovely CRK Sebbie will set you back twice as much and I think the Swayback (and the Slysz Bowie) give that one a serious run for its money at half the cost...

Cheers, Radioactive
It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
Accutronman

Post by Accutronman »

Having bought this to add to all the Spyderco Slysz knives, including the Bowie, I am also underwhelmed by the Swayback especially for the clip which looked to be an after-design thought. If you’re a Slysz fan and have the other models, add this to round out your set and ride the Slysz price appreciation rise. If you’re new to Slysz, skip this one and buy a SpydieChef or Bowie instead.
jdw

Post by jdw »

RadioactiveSpyder wrote:
Sun Jun 28, 2020 7:02 am
You have buyers remorse from one less than positive comment but the other few pages of praise don’t matter? This is meant to be a gentleman’s (and ladies) fine folder - think along the lines of the Centofante Memory - thin, stylish, small round hole, and a wonderful thin slicey blade.

I’m 6’4” with large hands and I have zero issue opening the Swayback, and it has only become smoother over the week of me handling and using it. Mine absolutely doesn’t have a weak detent, and I tried my hardest to get the blade to shake out with zero success.

It is expensive and cost twice as much as a regular Golden model? Yes, but I shouldn’t have to even mention why that is given the choices of contoured Ti (vs flat G10 handles), mirror-finish XHP blade with rounded polished spine and Spydiehole (vs satin ground with obvious grinding lines), and not to mention the royalties I’m sure Mr. Slysz likes to receive from seeing thousands of his knives sold in a production run that very well mimics his customs.

The Swayback is certainly as well made as its Slysz siblings, and nearly all folks will agree with that. If the particular styling of it with it being so thin, having the Swayback handle shape, or a long thin wharnie blade isn’t your thing to begin with, then obviously this one won’t float your boat as much. While it may cost 2X a Manix 2, it’s certainly worth more than twice that in fit and finish to me. If you want to compare it to the high end, a lovely CRK Sebbie will set you back twice as much and I think the Swayback (and the Slysz Bowie) give that one a serious run for its money at half the cost...

Cheers, Radioactive
Nah. My statement was pretty tongue in cheek. It's a great design and I am a wharncliff fan. I do have concerns about the clip though. I have an acid washed Para 3 clip that I was planning on swapping to it.
--Wovoka
jdw

Post by jdw »

Accutronman wrote:
Sun Jun 28, 2020 8:11 am
Having bought this to add to all the Spyderco Slysz knives, including the Bowie, I am also underwhelmed by the Swayback especially for the clip which looked to be an after-design thought. If you’re a Slysz fan and have the other models, add this to round out your set and ride the Slysz price appreciation rise. If you’re new to Slysz, skip this one and buy a SpydieChef or Bowie instead.
I passed on the Slysz Bowie when they were still pretty readily available and it still haunts me.
--Wovoka
SG89

Post by SG89 »

Accutronman wrote:
Sun Jun 28, 2020 8:11 am
If you’re new to Slysz, skip this one and buy a Bowie instead.
Yes, by all means pay $600 for a supposed "new" Bowie on the sketchy secondary market.
Spydergirl88
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

The Bowie is great, if you've got smaller hands.

However, it was way to cramped for me and I definitely wouldn't spend the ridiculous number that they want for them now.

I have a feeling the only people recommending them anymore, are the sellers. Lol.

At <$300, it was a fine knife. At >$600, I'll pass. It's not that special.

As for the Swayback, I'm really wanting one. But, I do agree that whoever signed off on the clip should be removed from clip decisions in the future. It's fixable. But, until fixed, it's really a horrendous blemish. It makes it hard for me to spend $280 on it, when I'm going to have to spend another $50 to fix it...

Really disappointing on that front.
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

I should have one in hand tomorrow. I don't know if the clip will bother me, but it seems fairly faithful to the original design....
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!
RadioactiveSpyder

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

jdw wrote:
Sun Jun 28, 2020 8:15 am
Nah. My statement was pretty tongue in cheek. It's a great design and I am a wharncliff fan. I do have concerns about the clip though. I have an acid washed Para 3 clip that I was planning on swapping to it.
A nice winky face always helps... ;)

For people trying to swap Golden model 3-hole clips on, the Taichung 3-hole pattern is NOT the same - it's very close, and some aftermarket clips (Lynch) have enough wiggle room in the screw holes to adapt to both hole spacings, but the stock Golden clips do not quite fit properly on the Taichung models. Why this is has baffled me for years! :D
It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
Wright.88

Post by Wright.88 »

Liquid Cobra wrote:
Sat Jun 27, 2020 7:08 pm
For folks out there still looking for a swayback don’t give up. It’s well worth the effort.

I modded mine today and removed the shiny hardware.
I love the looks of your hardware and clip! Could you let me know what process you did to get those results?
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Sharp Guy wrote:
Sat Jun 27, 2020 11:02 pm
Spydergirl88 wrote:
Sharp Guy wrote:
Dang Pat, I'm sorry to hear that. I know you and many others have been anticipating this knife for a while now. I agree, for that price I better be wow'd once it's out of the box and I've handled it.

Hopefully it will wear on you! I know your pretty good at finagling with detents. Which I'm sure you will do if you choose to keep it.
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

Wright.88 wrote:
Sun Jun 28, 2020 11:32 am
Liquid Cobra wrote:
Sat Jun 27, 2020 7:08 pm
For folks out there still looking for a swayback don’t give up. It’s well worth the effort.

I modded mine today and removed the shiny hardware.
I love the looks of your hardware and clip! Could you let me know what process you did to get those results?
Thanks!

Removed all the hardware, cleaned them acetone, dropped them all in ferric chloride for a little while, removed and neutralized with water and baking soda, gave them a stone wash. Voila! Wear gloves.
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
Oogie

Post by Oogie »

Became a pricey week with both of these dropping at roughly the same time!

Both are incredible builds, fit n finish, action, so much to appreciate about each of these. The Swayback is a great release, though. No complaints at all on the action or lockup. Excellent quality additions.