New reveal...Zwear/micarta Shaman, s90v Native Chief, k390 Seki series, Slysz Swayback! So much to love.

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Mushroom

Re: New reveal...Zwear/micarta Shaman, s90v Native Chief, k390 Seki series, Slysz Swayback! So much to love.

Post by Mushroom »

Pochi, Lil Native Sprint, and Swayback are at the top of my list and I'll definitely try to grab one of the Z-Wear Shamans! I also really like the SpyOpera and Rockjumper. The Rockjumper really seems like it will be a great backpacking knife.

I wonder if we'll see the next batch of K390 "Endura" Series in the next reveal. Like the Stretch 2, Endela, Wharncliffe Delica, Police LW, and maybe even a Jester!?
-Nick :bug-red
Sumdumguy

Re: New reveal...Zwear/micarta Shaman, s90v Native Chief, k390 Seki series, Slysz Swayback! So much to love.

Post by Sumdumguy »

I need to complain about one thing...

The Swayback.

I am very disappointed in the clip choice. I love the spoon clip on most applications. But on Ti, the wire clip is a thing of beauty.

Whoever made this choice, should be brought up on charges. :D
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
GarageBoy

Post by GarageBoy »

How is the rockjumper climbing specific?
blueblur

Post by blueblur »

Does anyone have any experience with Z-wear? I believe Larrin may have mentioned it before but it hasn’t been on my radar.
BallisticLinguistic

Post by BallisticLinguistic »

blueblur wrote:
Tue May 05, 2020 2:23 pm
Does anyone have any experience with Z-wear? I believe Larrin may have mentioned it before but it hasn’t been on my radar.
According to Larrins graphs, Z-wear has shown higher (~21ft-lbs) as well as more consistent toughness than cru-wear (~9 ft-lbs). Crazy thing is the graph showed that the toughness was relatively the same in the range from 58-62 HRC.
Popsickle

Post by Popsickle »

ABX2011 wrote:
Tue May 05, 2020 1:17 pm
I thought Sal said the second run of natural micarta Shamans (in Z wear) would be extra large...
Did he say extra large or a larger run?
TheGiant80

Post by TheGiant80 »

After the heartbreak of missing out on the crucarta shaman (my ideal work knife), I’m not holding my breath for the zwear version..

On the plus side, the only reason I haven’t bought a YoJimbo is because it’s too small for my huge mitts. The YoJumbo is an awesome surprise!
attila

Post by attila »

blueblur wrote:
It’s analogous to CPM Cruwear. I have used it in a few small fixed blades I ground and had heat treated by Peter’s Heat Treating to 61 hrc.

It’s the reason I enjoy CPM Cruwear so much.

I get the feeling that the micarta was left the same color because it’s chemically nearly identical to CPM Cruwear.
Have: old S30V Native, HAP40 Endura, ZDP DF2, S110V Manix LW, Cru-wear Para 3, SE H1 DF2, S90V Native 5, K390 Urban, SE Pac Salt, P.I.T.S., XHP Manix LW, SB Caly 3, B70P, PMA11, K03, Kapara, REX 45 Military, 154CM Manix LW, Swick, AEB-L Urban, KC Cruwear Manix, M390 PM2, Mantra 2, CruCarta Shaman, M390 Manix, K390 Police 4, S90V Manix LW, Rex 45 Manix LW, 20CV Manix, Rex 45 Lil’Native, Shaman, C208GP, Cruwear Manix, Cruwear Manix, M4 Chief, Z-max!!!

Want: SPY27, K490, Swick 5
SG89

Post by SG89 »

I'll probably get a Swick 6. $117 MAP not too bad
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
ugaarguy

Post by ugaarguy »

I really want the Swayback. I also really want the SpyOpera, maybe even more than I want the Swayback. A Spyderco with micarta scales and a premium stainless steel blade? Ohh yes!
mb1

Post by mb1 »

Bunch of knives I didn’t know I wanted! Goodness. Again.
- Mark

"Don't believe everything you think." -anonymous wise man
BobABQ

Post by BobABQ »

The Lil Native Sprint with S90v blade steel is the one I am after!
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

BallisticLinguistic wrote:
Tue May 05, 2020 2:54 pm
blueblur wrote:
According to Larrins graphs, Z-wear has shown higher (~21ft-lbs) as well as more consistent toughness than cru-wear (~9 ft-lbs). Crazy thing is the graph showed that the toughness was relatively the same in the range from 58-62 HRC.
Are you sure that difference wasn't between ingot cruwear and z-wear pm? I remember Larrin having both on an older chart on toughness testing. In the article he posted the other day, cpm cruwear and z-wear are shown as the same.
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.
Marko

Post by Marko »

Wow! I’m still waiting to purchase a Siren... but my short list now includes a Large Swick, Rockjumper, and A Swayback!
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

blueblur wrote:

I'm pretty sure that is ingot Cruwear. CPM Cru-wear and Z-wear should be pretty much identical in all categories.
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

JuPaul wrote:
Tue May 05, 2020 5:31 pm
blueblur wrote:
Are you sure that difference wasn't between ingot cruwear and z-wear pm? I remember Larrin having both on an older chart on toughness testing. In the article he posted the other day, cpm cruwear and z-wear are shown as the same.
I believe Julia is correct.

Edit: Oops, Meat Man beat me to it. I’d not mean to belabor the point. :o
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
hambone56rx

Post by hambone56rx »

Super excited about the Shaman in Micarta and Z Wear! Hoping I can luck out. Can you “pre order” sprint runs? Or first come, first serve?

Definitely pumped for a Delica in K390 as well as a SpyOpera!

What’s recession and pandemic proof? SPYDERCO KNIVES! Great job Sal, Eric and the rest of Spyderco!

Hamilton
JMM

Post by JMM »

FWIW, right now KC has a single page that shows all the new models & prices.... easy viewing...

https://www.knifecenter.com/listing/new ... 49de10f7c9
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

I pre-ordered the DragonFly II in K390
That should be a real winner!
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

JMM wrote:
Tue May 05, 2020 6:46 pm
FWIW, right now KC has a single page that shows all the new models & prices.... easy viewing...

https://www.knifecenter.com/listing/new ... 49de10f7c9
Very helpful, thank you!
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"