Spyderco UF rods legitimacy

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Scott Archi

Spyderco UF rods legitimacy

Post by Scott Archi »

Hey guys I’ve got some spyderco UF rods I received in a trade a few years back today when I was rinsing them in the sink I noticed there red at the top was coming off like it was just put there with a red sharpie?! Is this normal or did I have a fast one pulled on me?
Skidoosh

Re: Spyderco UF rods legitimacy

Post by Skidoosh »

I've had the red on my UF stones wear a bit also, it is common and normal.
zuludelta

Post by zuludelta »

The red ink fades over time. And yes, it does look like it was put on using a permanent marker. (I bought my UF rods from an authorized Spyderco dealer)
SG89

Post by SG89 »

Normal
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
blues

Post by blues »

Absolutely normal.
- Retired from the chase -
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Positively normal.
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

The red wore off mine pretty quickly too.
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
Scott Archi

Post by Scott Archi »

Thanks guys from a results standpoint I was getting the UF edge from them but the marker thing threw me off.
Ric

Post by Ric »

Normal. I used a red sharpie to make it more visible.
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

Yeah, it happens for sure. I’ve remarked mine with a sharpie just so I can tell them apart.
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

My red wore off so I colored them back in with a black sharpie. Definitely normal. :)
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Scott Archi wrote:
Tue May 05, 2020 11:18 am
Hey guys I’ve got some spyderco UF rods I received in a trade a few years back today when I was rinsing them in the sink I noticed there red at the top was coming off like it was just put there with a red sharpie?! Is this normal or did I have a fast one pulled on me?
What I've done with all my Spyderco stones is to color code them on the ends with different colors. I mostly use women's nail polish to paint the ends of them and believe it or not it holds on pretty good even compared to most paints I've used. Also that nail polish can even endure harsh cleaning a lot better than the stuff they used at the factory or even better than most spray paints. I got lucky one day and bought a basket full of women's nail polishes at a thrift store for only $5 and there was 26 different colors of that nail polish and it really works well for color coding sharpening stones and various other items.

Also if you're new to cleaning Spyderco's great ceramic stones I've personally found nothing works better for cleaning those sharpening stones than the kitchen cleanser known as "Bar Keeper's Friend". You can find it in grocery stores, Dollar Stores and hardware stores. It's usually located where the Ajax, Comet and Bon-Ami cleansers are all located in the store.

Let us know how you do :)
Scott Archi

Post by Scott Archi »

JD Spydo wrote:
Tue May 05, 2020 3:12 pm
Scott Archi wrote:
What I've done with all my Spyderco stones is to color code them on the ends with different colors. I mostly use women's nail polish to paint the ends of them and believe it or not it holds on pretty good even compared to most paints I've used. Also that nail polish can even endure harsh cleaning a lot better than the stuff they used at the factory or even better than most spray paints. I got lucky one day and bought a basket full of women's nail polishes at a thrift store for only $5 and there was 26 different colors of that nail polish and it really works well for color coding sharpening stones and various other items.

Also if you're new to cleaning Spyderco's great ceramic stones I've personally found nothing works better for cleaning those sharpening stones than the kitchen cleanser known as "Bar Keeper's Friend". You can find it in grocery stores, Dollar Stores and hardware stores. It's usually located where the Ajax, Comet and Bon-Ami cleansers are all located in the store.

I’ve had the system for years now and only noticed the ink coming off today. Alternatively I just logged into this site after 3 years and found a PM from you about razor stones. I apologize for the lateness. Would you still want a response?
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Scott Archi wrote:
Tue May 05, 2020 3:21 pm
JD Spydo wrote:
Tue May 05, 2020 3:12 pm
Scott Archi wrote:

I’ve had the system for years now and only noticed the ink coming off today. Alternatively I just logged into this site after 3 years and found a PM from you about razor stones. I apologize for the lateness. Would you still want a response?
Hey you bet I would love to hear any input on razor stones. I've got a couple that I use for finish work. :) But do give that Bar Keeper's Friend a try the next time you clean those stones. Now don't use it on the diamond stones if you have those but it's great for all of Spyderco's other stones. And I don't know what's in those nail polishes but they really stay on those stones better than any conventional paint I've tried. The stuff at the factory just don't last that long unfortunately.

Also I've found that the commercial grade Ajax with Oxygen Bleach works pretty well on sharpening stones too.
Scott Archi

Post by Scott Archi »

What do you clean diamond stones with? I use glass cleaner.
Cambertree

Post by Cambertree »

Scott Archi wrote:
Tue May 05, 2020 3:57 pm
What do you clean diamond stones with? I use glass cleaner.
Yeah, Windex or dishwashing liquid works fine. I usually just rinse it off under warm running water, but you can use an old toothbrush or something similar to lightly scrub it if you like.