Reveal 5 Live!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
bearfacedkiller

Re: Reveal 5 Live!

Post by bearfacedkiller »

Opera looks cool but a little small for me.

I’ll keep my comments about the Pochi to myself. :D

Shaman, K390 Delica and Yojumbo are all goona be great.

Swayback is a must have!

Happy to see a new Mule. Will probably grab the SPY27 Native though.

May pass on the chief unless I get denied the Rex45 version.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
VooDooChild

Post by VooDooChild »

I dont even know where to start. There goes my stimulus check.
"Rome's greatest contribution to mathematics was the killing of Archimedes."
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

Why does one Swick say large and the other small? The specs look the same?
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Ez556 wrote:
Tue May 05, 2020 10:49 am
So those K390 models aren’t sprint runs?

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=85782&start=20#p1394717 :)
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

kennethsime wrote:
Tue May 05, 2020 11:42 am
Excited by: Z-wear Shaman, Lil Native in S90V, Dragonfly in K390.

I'm not sure what to make of the Rock Jumper. If I had a "sure, why not?" knife budget, I would inevitably pick one up (especially in a bright color). It seems like an improvement on the Wharnciliffe Delica (I like the swells vs. the points), but I would still prefer a choil. I guess I'll see what they end up retailing for, and whether or not aftermarket scales become available.

I think one of the main points in the Rock Jumper design is that it has no choil or Ricasso, but. quoting Sal )link below):

"The design brings the handle right to the cutting edge which is important on quick emergency cutting of rope. Kicks, sharpening choils and finger choils can snag on a rope and time is lost if it is an emergency cut. This is an experiment with this design as it is difficult to do with a lock-back."

For more on the Rock Jumper background see here:
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=85940#p1398627

I love the design! Very much edge for the compact size; wide, rather thin blade (= probably good slicer) ;AND comes in SE in VG 10!! ;)... will without any doubt become my go-to climbing knife!!
Last edited by Wartstein on Tue May 05, 2020 11:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
VooDooChild

Post by VooDooChild »

SpyOpera looks cool

Still not sure if I want native 5 in spy 27 or manix 2 in spy 27. Ill skip on the mule.

Canis looks cool but looks like it would conpete directly with the yojimbo.

Rockjumper looks great. Ill get one of these and not be tempted to get a wharncliffe endura. Ergos look good on it as well

Yojumbo is on the list. One wharncliffe to rule them all.

Swayback will keep my spydiechef company. I have also always liked the swayback design.

Was hoping for a police 4 ltwt in k390 but Im sure an endura 4 will tide me over.

Ill try to snag the native chief sprint.

Ill try to snag the Z-carta shaman. I wonder if it will also be impossible to get.

Swick 5 looks neat.
Filoso-

Post by Filoso- »

Oohhh the Swayback!
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

As said above: My number one in this reveal is certainly the Rock Jumper in SE. Perfect climbing - , but also "utility" knife I guess.

K 390 Endura is great, but since I have already a "supersteelish" (HAP 40) one and try to focus on SE, I won´t get the K390 immidiately (but most likely eventually... :rolleyes: )
Hope for a K390 Endela though in the next reveal (as far as I know it is planned to bring out the whole Endura family in K390). Since I have an SE Endela already, the K390 in PE would be a nice addition.
VooDooChild

Post by VooDooChild »

Wartstein wrote: As said above: My number one in this reveal is certainly the Rock Jumper in SE. Perfect climbing - , but also "utility" knife I guess.

K 390 Endura is great, but since I have already a "supersteelish" (HAP 40) one and try to focus on SE, I won´t get the K390 immidiately (but most likely eventually... :rolleyes: )
Hope for a K390 Endela though in the next reveal (as far as I know it is planned to bring out the whole Endura family in K390). Since I have an SE Endela already, the K390 in PE would be a nice addition.
I really like what they did with the lanyard hole on the rockjumper.

Its also really easy to have a typo and spell it rockhumper. :D
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

VooDooChild wrote:
Tue May 05, 2020 12:00 pm
Wartstein wrote:
I really like what they did with the lanyard hole on the rockjumper.

Right! Makes for a deep-ish, but not TOO deep carry (knife still easy accessible).. perfect for a (closed) rather short knife...
Dazen

Post by Dazen »

Finally, the Lil Native I’ve been asking for!!

The Swayback for sure too!
Dane

“Stop buying your kids what you never had and start teaching them what you never knew!”
legOFwhat?

Post by legOFwhat? »

Sooooo Happy! MT28! Only money set aside for knives will be for mules....maybe K390 manbug :D
-Larry
Hebrews 13:6 So we may boldly say: “The Lord is my helper; I will not fear. What can man do to me?”
MNOSD #0049
Pancake

Post by Pancake »

Wartstein wrote:
Tue May 05, 2020 11:58 am

I was going to ask you if you are getting an Endura in K390, but there is my answer :D

Overall, this reveal brings nothing for me. Out of new models....maybe the Rock Jumper, but nothing else. Out of sprint runs and new steels models, only the K390 Endura, I am going to consider it, but it is not that high on the list.

Would like to buy the Mule Team, but I am not going to pay all the extra taxes and shipping to Europe....

I was hoping for some Military, but I guess I have to wait.

My excitement level: 4/10.
In the pocket: Chaparral FRN, Native Chief, Police 4 K390, Pacific Salt SE, Manix 2 G10 REX45
VooDooChild

Post by VooDooChild »

The SpyOpera seems like a continuation of the idea of the baby Jess Horn.
Monty

Post by Monty »

Rockjumper, swayback, yellow PAC salts- yay! Still waiting for news on a lil Nirvana and I wish the rockjumper was H1 but I'll take what I can get.
Ez556

Post by Ez556 »

Those Swicks are definitely getting purchased when they release, probably one for me and one for my wife. That Swayback is gorgeous, depending on the price I may have to grab one of those as well. The poor Chaparral may have been pushed back again haha!
Likes FRN
:spyder: MEMBER OF THE CRUWEAR NATION :spyder:
sal wrote:
Sun Aug 04, 2019 7:28 am
But in reality, there is nothing quite like a gun. And it has been said, "The only way to stop a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun".
Sumdumguy wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 4:35 am
Does that complexity decrease the simplicity? Not at all.
Abyss_Fish wrote:
Wed Oct 21, 2020 11:54 pm
Ti is uh, 300 dollars.
zuludelta

Post by zuludelta »

bearfacedkiller wrote:
Tue May 05, 2020 11:45 am
Why does one Swick say large and the other small? The specs look the same?
The "Large" (Swick 5) and "Small" (Swick 6) designations refer to the diameter of the Perrin hole. The former is 1.03" while the latter is 0.91". My ungloved index finger is probably a better fit for the Swick 6, but I think I'll pick up a Swick 5 as well for use as a winter/cold weather-carry fixed blade, for when I'm wearing significantly thicker insulated work gloves.
Last edited by zuludelta on Tue May 05, 2020 12:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jimmd

Post by jimmd »

I’m really curious: why does the Swayback not have a wire clip? I thought of that as inherent to Spyderco’s Slysz designs.
Jim
Chinook3

Post by Chinook3 »

Yojumbo!!!!!

Life is good, thanks Spyderco for making my day.

That z wear Shaman is another one...I love it!
My response is "Just because you can't see it, doesn't mean it isn't there, it just means you can't see it". Sal G.
Carlito86

Post by Carlito86 »

Yojumbo. Ok I can die in peace now. And swayback. Bought already.Mine. whatever...I choose those above gas bills, I Will use blanket this winter. Who cares... My ancestor did not have hearing. I can do It.