Native Chief fan club!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
soc_monki

Native Chief fan club!

Post by soc_monki »

Have to say, I don't know why I was so on the fence about this knife. I guess I was just unsure of the backlock. It's amazing. Smooth, easy to operate one handed, strong lock up, and did I say smooth? I thought maybe the blade stock would be too thin. It is thin, but I have to get over the overly thick stocks. Thinner cuts better!

It is light, not much longer than a PM2, but slimmer top to bottom so easier to get by in the pocket. So much knife in such a compact package! The tip is great for piercing things, including my fingertip (the blood oath has been paid). And the sound when it locks up... And the closing snap. Really addictive!

Anyone else enamored with this thing? I can't be the only one!

:respect Spyderco : Resilience, Tenacious, Persistence, Manix 2 G10, Para 3 G10, Para 3 LW, Paramilitary 2,
BBS Paramilitary 2, Amalgam, Native Chief, Blade HQ Manix 2 XL, S30V Shaman, Gayle Bradley 2, DLC M4 Shaman, Magnitude, Z Wear Shaman, DLC S30V Shaman, Stretch 2, Kapara, CF/S90V Native Chief, Endela, K390 Endura, DLT 20cv Zome Endela x 2, Police 4 LW K390, SNK Native Chief, SNK Manix 2 XL, K390 Stretch 2, Stretch 2 XL, K390 Endela
Burton Knut

Re: Native Chief fan club!

Post by Burton Knut »

Absolutely! I can’t wait to get that long thin blade in some REX45 goodness!
Enactive

Post by Enactive »

Yeah man!

Funny, I was just fiddling with my Chief right before i saw your post.

Not sure if i will buy a Rex 45 Chief, I would really like CruWear and LC200N.

Here is a First and Ongoing Impressions of the Chief thread...viewtopic.php?f=2&t=84087
Last edited by Enactive on Sat May 02, 2020 8:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SG89

Post by SG89 »

It's pretty great! Ultimately too big for my pockets so I sold mine. Have a lot of appreciation for it nonetheless!
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
Pancake

Post by Pancake »

Big fan.
Long blade, good ergo, lightweight for its size,carries awesome.
In the pocket: Chaparral FRN, Native Chief, Police 4 K390, Pacific Salt SE, Manix 2 G10 REX45
VooDooChild

Post by VooDooChild »

Im a fan.
Attachments
20200502_095559.jpg
"Rome's greatest contribution to mathematics was the killing of Archimedes."
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

I never even handled one, but still I am a fan I guess... :D (and will get one eventually)

It obviously has the amazing Native backlock, I´ve always loved rather thin blade stock, light weight, a good amount of edge in a not too big package and think S30V is a great steel: Not much to dislike in the Chief.. ;)

I hope for a Chief LW (exactly like The Native 5 LW AND the Native 5 G10 exist), cause I prefer FRN if I can get it.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
soc_monki

Post by soc_monki »

Nice to see so many fans! I'd really like an m390/20cv version in dlc with blue handles, like my bento box pm2. Or an m4 version would be amazing as well! I'm not really one to go after sprints or exclusives, but black and blue would definitely entice me...

Really loving this backlock. So awesome to just give it a little shake and have the blade drop for easy thumb closing!
:respect Spyderco : Resilience, Tenacious, Persistence, Manix 2 G10, Para 3 G10, Para 3 LW, Paramilitary 2,
BBS Paramilitary 2, Amalgam, Native Chief, Blade HQ Manix 2 XL, S30V Shaman, Gayle Bradley 2, DLC M4 Shaman, Magnitude, Z Wear Shaman, DLC S30V Shaman, Stretch 2, Kapara, CF/S90V Native Chief, Endela, K390 Endura, DLT 20cv Zome Endela x 2, Police 4 LW K390, SNK Native Chief, SNK Manix 2 XL, K390 Stretch 2, Stretch 2 XL, K390 Endela
koenigsegg

Post by koenigsegg »

I got one after loving the police so much but I got it second hand and if something is too good to be true it probably is. looks like previous owner polished the tang where it rides on the backlock and now it has blade play. I do like it though otherwise. though the police usually wins out, I have been using it while I reprofile the police. Other knives feel so short lol
S30V, VG10, M4, XHP, BD1, Cruwear, Elmax, Maxamet, 204P, H1, K390, A11, Rex45, LC200N, M390, 20CV, BD1N, S45VN waiting to afford MagnaCut
imjohnsmith

Post by imjohnsmith »

blueblur

Post by blueblur »

Ever since I got my first Native last fall I’ve really been wanting to check out the Chief. Waiting and hoping I can land one in Rex45.
acer

Post by acer »

Count me in. All round perfection. Like the easy of unlocking and gentleness on thumb, for my over washed desensitised hands 😷 This pattern is growing on me fast. Soon be christmas🧤👀
KingRat

Post by KingRat »

I like it. I hope we get to see more variations in the future. I can't get dealer exclusives anymore (unless a Canadian dealer is willing to do one, maybe), so any sprint runs are welcome.
Catamount123

Post by Catamount123 »

My favorite Spyder (Siren is giving it a run for it's money, though). Looking forward to the REX45 sprint, but am really hoping for uncoated 4V down the road.
I don't get people who only carry one knife :thinking ;)
soc_monki

Post by soc_monki »

Been carrying it all weekend, carrying it at work today. I used it so much I had to touch up the edge! Few swipes on my medium spyderco stone and it's razor sharp and ready for work!

I did put a drop of kpl in there, felt a little dry. So much nicer. Spydieflickable now! Love this thing!
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

I joined the Native Chief fan club years ago when a picture of an early prototype turned up on a Google search.

I did fret that the final prototype’s rumored lack of swedges and liners would disappoint me. They haven’t, in the slightest.

Truth be told, however, I originally imagined that the Native Chief would be a weighty knife (sorta like a reduced Tatanka), but, instead, it’s a sleek, almost delicate one (sorta like my much loved Calypso but with Golden’s superior midlock) that I didn’t know I wanted.

The Native Chief’s lightness might well have disappointed me except for Sal’s surprise, the Native Shaman. There’s the stout knife I didn’t know I wanted.

I like how Sal and Eric keep me guessing, and surprised.
-Marc (pocketing a Maxamet Sage5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

It's a great knife :D
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
JustinB

Post by JustinB »

I have been eyeing a chief, but have yet to pull the trigger on one. Definitely after the K390 Endura drops :D
Justin :spyder: