Big CBBL folder

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Pancake

Big CBBL folder

Post by Pancake »

Not that long ago, a thread about Mini Manix pop up.

I have to say that I never handled CBBL ( if you want to send me one for free, I can give you my address :D , just kidding), but the lock is very strong, completely ambidextrous, has a bias towards closed position, so in my opinion, it is very suited for larger-ish folder.
But wait Pancake, there are models with CBBL.
Yes, but Manix 2 has a kinda small blade for my taste, although I can't say that I am not going to buy one in the future.
Larger Manix XL has more blade, but the clip placement is just....no. Also, the jimping on that model is a bit too much.

So, do you think that model with about 4 inch blade, 3.5 inch cutting edge with CBBL, something like Shaman XL , could have some market value?
In the pocket: Chaparral FRN, Native Chief, Police 4 K390, Pacific Salt SE, Manix 2 G10 REX45
Wartstein

Re: Big CBBL folder

Post by Wartstein »

The solution: Manix XL lightweight (FRCP construction just like the Manix 2 LW), wire clip, "better" clip placement... translucent green handle... :D

Would be an instant purchase for me.
Last edited by Wartstein on Sat May 02, 2020 4:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Mattysc42

Post by Mattysc42 »

Wartstein wrote:
Sat May 02, 2020 4:08 am
The solution: Manix XL lightweight (FRCP construction just like the Manix 2 LW), wire clip, "better" clip placement... tranalucent green handle... :D

Would be an instant purchase for me.
I would totally buy at least one of these, regardless of handle color. It would also be a great platform to do sprints and exclusives, something nonexistant with the current XL.
BRING ON THE MANIX XL SPRINTS AND EXCLUSIVES! And 10v or K390ify the Golden lineup, please.

Top 5 folders I’ve owned: Serrated Caribbean Leaf, Shaman, Manix XL, ZDP-189/CF Caly 3.5, Native LW.
Top 5 steels I’ve owned: LC200N, K390, CPM S90V, M390, CPM REX45.
Top 3 steels I want more of: M390 class, A11 class (including K390), CPM REX45.
Pancake

Post by Pancake »

A lightweight model? Hmm, that sounds very interesting. Not sure about the wire clip...
In the pocket: Chaparral FRN, Native Chief, Police 4 K390, Pacific Salt SE, Manix 2 G10 REX45
Notsurewhy

Post by Notsurewhy »

I'm for more cbbl options in all shapes and sizes. It might challenge the back lock for my favorite lock type if it was more widely available.

The Manix 2 seems popular, so I'm not sure why they don't use the cbbl in more models. Maybe it is harder to integrate into a variety of designs than other locks?
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Pancake wrote:
Sat May 02, 2020 5:05 am
A lightweight model? Hmm, that sounds very interesting. Not sure about the wire clip...

Doesn't have to be a wire clip! I almost always prefer the spoon clip anyway, but particullary on my Manix 2 LW I liked the wire clip..
So both options fine, just please not a deep carry clip...(especially on a knife as long as a Manix XL LW would be).
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Notsurewhy wrote:
Sat May 02, 2020 5:29 am
I'm for more cbbl options in all shapes and sizes. It might challenge the back lock for my favorite lock type if it was more widely available.

The Manix 2 seems popular, so I'm not sure why they don't use the cbbl in more models. Maybe it is harder to integrate into a variety of designs than other locks?

I think the CBBL almost requires some choil in the blade (and/or a wider handle perhaps??).. but since many Spydies come with a finger choil anyway, that should not be that much of a problem.

The CBBL is great and rather versatile in use:
One can operate it with two fingers and swing the blade closed like with a comp lock or let it drop on your middlefinger (by using the latter method the knife is more secure in the hand)
Or one can operate it with just one finger (thumb) and guide the blade to closed with the index finger.
Pancake

Post by Pancake »

Wartstein wrote:
Sat May 02, 2020 5:31 am
Doesn't have to be a wire clip! I almost always prefer the spoon clip anyway, but particullary on my Manix 2 LW I liked the wire clip..
So both options fine, just please not a deep carry clip...(especially on a knife as long as a Manix XL LW would be).
Only wire clip that I used is on my Chaparral, it is ok, but I wish that the wire itself was made from a bit thicker wire. If the wire on Manix LW is thicker, I think it could work.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Pancake wrote:
Sat May 02, 2020 5:52 am
Wartstein wrote:
Sat May 02, 2020 5:31 am
Only wire clip that I used is on my Chaparral, it is ok, but I wish that the wire itself was made from a bit thicker wire. If the wire on Manix LW is thicker, I think it could work.

I think they are of the same thickness as far as I recall... never had any problems though, neither with the Chap, nor the Manix LW clip.
Stil, I slightly prefer the spoon clip.
olywa

Post by olywa »

If this is what it takes to get some more translucent frcp in the lineup then I'm all for it.
PeaceInOurTime

Post by PeaceInOurTime »

A LW translucent Manix XL would be hard for me to say no to. Offer it in SE, please! :) I think the only reason why I haven't tried the Manix XL is because it doesn't come in a LW option. The higher price and weight of g10 models makes me really appreciate the lightweights.

A new large/XL model with the CBBL would be neat.
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

I like green, but don't need it to be translucent. I like wire clip, and if it's green I would probably try a lightweight Manix 2 XL.
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

PeaceInOurTime wrote:
Sat May 02, 2020 8:25 am
A LW translucent Manix XL would be hard for me to say no to. Offer it in SE, please! :) I think the only reason why I haven't tried the Manix XL is because it doesn't come in a LW option. The higher price and weight of g10 models makes me really appreciate the lightweights.

A new large/XL model with the CBBL would be neat.

How could I have forgotten to mentioned that myself! ;)
JMM

Post by JMM »

If it's not pinned, I'm in for one at least, if it's in a good tool steel I'll probably be in for a PE & SE model. If it's pinned than 'mout

;)
Pancake

Post by Pancake »

I wonder if the FRCP I strong enough to support such a long body...on the other hand, Manix has solid steel anvil that goes with CBBL and is also has some small liners....maybe it could work
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Pancake wrote:
Sat May 02, 2020 8:42 am
I wonder if the FRCP I strong enough to support such a long body...on the other hand, Manix has solid steel anvil that goes with CBBL and is also has some small liners....maybe it could work

The Manix XL is not THAT much longer than the Manix 2, just by about 1 cm.

FRCP would be WAY strong enough I am 100 % convinced! The Manix 2 LW feels very rigid and strong (except very light of course), and I seem to recall reading a quote from Sal that FRCP is stronger than FRN. Or at least more rigid (I guess (but don´t know!) a it would chip a bit easier than FRN if a knife were to be dropped from 500 feet onto a concrete floor .. but that´s true for G10 either I´d think)

EDIT: As far as I recall the Manix 2 LW has no liners at all (so not "some small liners")
Pancake

Post by Pancake »

Wartstein wrote:
Sat May 02, 2020 8:59 am

EDIT: As far as I recall the Manix 2 LW has no liners at all (so not "some small liners")

Do you see those 8 shaped pieces? Those are ,,micro-liners,,
I am but sure why they are there, I guess they are needed for something.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

I would buy a Manix XL LW in a heartbeat and that is all I need to say.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050