Cutlery Shoppe s90v manix lw

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Re: Cutlery Shoppe s90v manix lw

Post by Doc Dan »

JuPaul wrote:
Fri May 01, 2020 3:31 pm
I think I'm actually gonna get one of these. I've been wanting to give the lw manix another shot, but I'll likely carry it in lightweight shorts when it's humid and sweaty, so rex45 might not be a great fit for my uses. I've avoided s90v in the past, but now that I know I can sharpen other high hardness steels, I'm more open to it. I can dye the orange if it's too bright for me, and with it being an exclusive, I can likely recoup my money if I don't like it. Here goes...
I have the original CS orange S90V M2 LW. It is my favorite. S90V is not as bad as S110V to sharpen, at least for me. It is still a bear, but not as big of one. It is a cool knife. I just talked to Jeff at CS and he said these are blowing out of the door.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

Doc Dan wrote:
Sat May 02, 2020 9:36 am
JuPaul wrote:
I think I'm actually gonna get one of these. I've been wanting to give the lw manix another shot, but I'll likely carry it in lightweight shorts when it's humid and sweaty, so rex45 might not be a great fit for my uses. I've avoided s90v in the past, but now that I know I can sharpen other high hardness steels, I'm more open to it. I can dye the orange if it's too bright for me, and with it being an exclusive, I can likely recoup my money if I don't like it. Here goes...
I have the original CS orange S90V M2 LW. It is my favorite. S90V is not as bad as S110V to sharpen, at least for me. It is still a bear, but not as big of one. It is a cool knife. I just talked to Jeff at CS and he said these are blowing out of the door.
I did end up getting one. I'm definitely looking forward to the lightweight and to trying the steel - I need to branch out and try more stainless steels. How does sharpening s90v compare to k390 in your opinion? Larrin's article yesterday is actually what swayed me - same V% in both steels and very similar edge retention. I thought that might mean a similar sharpening experience depending how hard spyderco runs each.
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.
JMM

Post by JMM »

JuPaul wrote:
Sat May 02, 2020 9:48 am
Doc Dan wrote:
JuPaul wrote:
I did end up getting one. I'm definitely looking forward to the lightweight and to trying the steel - I need to branch out and try more stainless steels. How does sharpening s90v compare to k390 in your opinion? Larrin's article yesterday is actually what swayed me - same V% in both steels and very similar edge retention. I thought that might mean a similar sharpening experience depending how hard spyderco runs each.
In my experience sharpening s90v isn't too bad, maybe a tad more demanding than rex45 or 4v, but easier than s110v or Maxamet... I'm no sharpening wizard though, that's just how it's been for me. :)

Cheers,

John
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

I'd love to see a re-run of the non-DLC version of this.
SteveMidwest

Post by SteveMidwest »

prndltech wrote:
Fri May 01, 2020 7:44 pm
SteveMidwest wrote:
Fri May 01, 2020 6:54 pm
JMM wrote:
Fri May 01, 2020 5:40 pm
Ahhhhh bummer, I wanted one, I had no idea they were even still going to do them. :(

Oh well, I snoozed I guess. ;)
Oh no! :o I missed out as well.
I left my phone in the Pickup, as we went in to eat Dinner. About 2 hours ago. When I got back. I see a text message about it, from a friend. I then immediately go to Cutlery Shoppe, and they're gone.

That was quick, and quite a surprise. I swear, that I read that RamZar just took this knife off of the Spyderco 2020 Lists: Delivered & Upcoming List. Because it had been there so long, and never did come out. :p

Oh well. I guess I'll have to go look for some horse traders. I have some new in box 10V, S45VN, 10V, and 4V knives to use as trading material.
:spyder:

Congratulations to those that got it, and did not get caught snoozing! Or eating Dinner, as was in my case :D
The last batch of satin blade orange s90v lightweights was around for months it seemed like. This batch sold out in about 4 hours best I can tell... I was surprised when I checked back and they were all gone.

Yes, you're right prndltech, and the timing on this one, was a bit weird for me and my schedule.
I am often times in this forum, around mid-day. And yesterday was no different. But, the first info to drop on this knife, here in this Forum. Was done at 1:00 PM my time. Which is the beginning of the busiest part of my day, and just after I had already been here. So I don't normally check-in again, and read the Forum. Until around 8 PM in the evening.

So even with just a seven hour gap in reading here. That's enough to cost a guy a chance, at one of the knives he loves, and has been waiting for. :spyder:

Even with a friend of mine texting me about it at 6:20 PM, and me not finding it until 7:20 PM. Was enough to save me. :D
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

I just saw on IG that the drop yesterday was only part of the order, and the rest will be up for sale soon. So if you missed it you still have a shot!
- Julia

Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

JuPaul wrote:
Doc Dan wrote:
JuPaul wrote:

Julia, so you give the LW another try? I remember you saying you already had one, but would not like it as much as the G10 Manix.

Hope you´ll report back how you like it this time - the lightweight model generally, not necessarely and only this exact version.

I had a LW as you know, and could handle both a lighter (skeletonized liners) and heavier (full liners) G10 version.
It is really hard to compare the two as being "the same knife" or even choose between them. Both great, but really different.
I think if weight is not a concern and one does not need a really long cutting edge, the Manix 2 G10 might by design be the best work knife out there imho.
The LW on the other hand gave me that puzzling moment again and again: Picked it up, it felt SO light for the size that my subconscious mind said for a second "this thing must be really flimsy".. but then it wasn´t at all. The structural strength of the linerless FRCP is amazing.

/ Anway, this version looks great with its orange and black. One of the occasions where I doubt if my attempt to focus only on serrated edges in the future really is a good idea... :rolleyes: (I still am at a point where I prefer SE over PE, but so many cool models just don´t come in SE, or a particular steel does not lend itself to SE...)
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

steelcity16 wrote:
Sat May 02, 2020 8:10 am
prndltech wrote:
Fri May 01, 2020 7:44 pm
SteveMidwest wrote:
Fri May 01, 2020 6:54 pm
JMM wrote:
Fri May 01, 2020 5:40 pm

Yeah, there is definitely a FOMO/herd mentality with exclusives and sprints these days. The first batch of the DLC S90V Native LW sat for months at a MUCH lower price. The Green CTS-204P Military sat for months. The BHQ Military sat for weeks. The first St Nicks exclusive Delica sat for weeks. The DLC 52100 Manix exclusive sat for months. Its like if a knife doesn't sell out in hours/minutes then no one (the flippers/scalpers/hoarders/"investors" driving the demand) wants to touch it with a 10 foot pole. This one had good looks, a low number produced, and a model which doesn't get sprinted often.

Yes, and great models like the straight spine Stretch (a sprint run), which came out quite some time ago, are still available (though in this case the reason might very well be that people think VG10 is a too less fancy and too common steel for a sprint... despite it is a great EDC steel imho).
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
mikey177

Post by mikey177 »

I'm happy with my Native 5 S90V exclusive from Cutlery Shoppe, so I'm going to sit this one out. All the best to everyone who wants one.
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

Wartstein wrote:
Sun May 03, 2020 1:17 am
JuPaul wrote:
Doc Dan wrote:
JuPaul wrote:

Julia, so you give the LW another try? I remember you saying you already had one, but would not like it as much as the G10 Manix.

Hope you´ll report back how you like it this time - the lightweight model generally, not necessarely and only this exact version.

I had a LW as you know, and could handle both a lighter (skeletonized liners) and heavier (full liners) G10 version.
It is really hard to compare the two as being "the same knife" or even choose between them. Both great, but really different.
I think if weight is not a concern and one does not need a really long cutting edge, the Manix 2 G10 might by design be the best work knife out there imho.
The LW on the other hand gave me that puzzling moment again and again: Picked it up, it felt SO light for the size that my subconscious mind said for a second "this thing must be really flimsy".. but then it wasn´t at all. The structural strength of the linerless FRCP is amazing.

/ Anway, this version looks great with its orange and black. One of the occasions where I doubt if my attempt to focus only on serrated edges in the future really is a good idea... :rolleyes: (I still am at a point where I prefer SE over PE, but so many cool models just don´t come in SE, or a particular steel does not lend itself to SE...)
Yes, I decided to give it another try. I had the brown xhp lw, but sold it because it wasn't as easy for me to unlock as the g10 versions. I couldn't wedge my fingers against the wire clip as well, and I found the frcp to be a bit slippery. But maybe I just need to live with it longer - that's what happened with the g10 version. I didn't like the cbbl at all at first, now the manix g10 is one of my favorite models. But the lightweight is a model I really want to like, since the g10 version is really too heavy for me to comfortably carry in lightweight shorts, which I wear all summer. Plus this is a relatively affordable way for me to try out s90v.
- Julia

TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

JuPaul wrote:
Sat May 02, 2020 2:09 pm
I just saw on IG that the drop yesterday was only part of the order, and the rest will be up for sale soon. So if you missed it you still have a shot!
I might have to jump on that.

s90v is pretty much the only Manix 2 steel I don't have in LW. I have two of them in standard weight, but I'm feeling an urge to complete the steel set in LW.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

JuPaul wrote:
Sun May 03, 2020 8:04 am
Wartstein wrote:
JuPaul wrote:
Doc Dan wrote:
Yes, I decided to give it another try. I had the brown xhp lw, but sold it because it wasn't as easy for me to unlock as the g10 versions. I couldn't wedge my fingers against the wire clip as well, and I found the frcp to be a bit slippery. But maybe I just need to live with it longer - that's what happened with the g10 version. I didn't like the cbbl at all at first, now the manix g10 is one of my favorite models. But the lightweight is a model I really want to like, since the g10 version is really too heavy for me to comfortably carry in lightweight shorts, which I wear all summer. Plus this is a relatively affordable way for me to try out s90v.

Good luck, hope you´ll like it! :)

You´re right, the Manix LW is perfectly suited for lighter clothing or floppy pockets of climbing pants.
And yes, FRCP somehow feels more slippery (or "harder") than FRN.. but I found in my actual use that´s not the case at all.
/ And maybe just the particular lightweight you had was a bit harder to operate? Out of the (few, admittedly) Manixes I could try, the LW lock was perhaps even a bit easier to pull... (and if you still find it hard to operate, there is a solution: Start climbing again to strengthen your fingers! :D )

Anyway, looking forward to pics of you orange Manix LW in your beautifull Missouri countryside... ;)
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

JuPaul wrote:
Doc Dan wrote:
JuPaul wrote:
It is slightly more difficult that K390 but it is not as bad as ZDP-189 or S110V (especially!). It is not as easy as VG10 but it won't kill you, either.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

Wartstein wrote:
JuPaul wrote:
Doc Dan wrote:
JuPaul wrote:

I love the LW M2. I have two and might get more. It is light but it is a real bull. It gives confidence when pulling that big wide blade out. However, the knife is perfect for EDC because it is so light weight.

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

Wartstein wrote:
Sun May 03, 2020 8:15 am
Start climbing again to strengthen your fingers! :D )
My daughter has been making me do hang board work outs during the pandemic. Our climbing gym is closed, so her climbing team isn't holding practices, and that leaves me having to suffer through finger strength training...
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

DROPPING 10AM MOUNTAIN TIME ON 5/5/20!
- Julia

prndltech

Post by prndltech »

Mine will be dropping in my mailbox in a few hours :p
- Shannon

MNOSD 0006
attila

Post by attila »

JuPaul wrote:
Mon May 04, 2020 9:42 am
Since you know that, I was wondering if you had any idea how many of the 600 were available the first time?

Thanks!
Have: old S30V Native, HAP40 Endura, ZDP DF2, S110V Manix LW, Cru-wear Para 3, SE H1 DF2, S90V Native 5, K390 Urban, SE Pac Salt, P.I.T.S., XHP Manix LW, SB Caly 3, B70P, PMA11, K03, Kapara, REX 45 Military, 154CM Manix LW, Swick, AEB-L Urban, KC Cruwear Manix, M390 PM2, Mantra 2, CruCarta Shaman, M390 Manix, K390 Police 4, S90V Manix LW, Rex 45 Manix LW, 20CV Manix, Rex 45 Lil’Native, Shaman, C208GP, Cruwear Manix, Cruwear Manix, M4 Chief, Z-max!!!

Want: SPY27, K490, Swick 5
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

attila wrote:
Mon May 04, 2020 10:04 am
JuPaul wrote:
Since you know that, I was wondering if you had any idea how many of the 600 were available the first time?

Thanks!
No, sorry. I just saw the announcement on IG. I'll ask in the comments and see if CS answers.
- Julia

attila

Post by attila »

JuPaul wrote:
Mon May 04, 2020 10:57 am
attila wrote:
Mon May 04, 2020 10:04 am
JuPaul wrote:

Thanks!
No, sorry. I just saw the announcement on IG. I'll ask in the comments and see if CS answers.
Got it. Thanks again.

Edit: I just called Cutleryshoppe and was told that the first release we saw was about 120 Manixes and tomorrow’s is going to be about 450.
Have: old S30V Native, HAP40 Endura, ZDP DF2, S110V Manix LW, Cru-wear Para 3, SE H1 DF2, S90V Native 5, K390 Urban, SE Pac Salt, P.I.T.S., XHP Manix LW, SB Caly 3, B70P, PMA11, K03, Kapara, REX 45 Military, 154CM Manix LW, Swick, AEB-L Urban, KC Cruwear Manix, M390 PM2, Mantra 2, CruCarta Shaman, M390 Manix, K390 Police 4, S90V Manix LW, Rex 45 Manix LW, 20CV Manix, Rex 45 Lil’Native, Shaman, C208GP, Cruwear Manix, Cruwear Manix, M4 Chief, Z-max!!!

Want: SPY27, K490, Swick 5