I Tested the Edge Retention of 48 Steels

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Cambertree

Re: I Tested the Edge Retention of 48 Steels

Post by Cambertree »

Thanks again for all the work you do to advance the state of knowledge in the community, Larrin and Shawn.

A few quick comments on things that stood out for me:

Check out ZDP189. I know it has been criticised as having slightly less corrosion resistance than a true stainless in Larrin's previous testing, but put that aside for a moment and consider that it has similar wear resistance to K390. It also sharpens relatively easily compared to some of the high vanadium alloys, takes an excellent fine edge, and I haven't had microchipping issues with it even in fairly thin edges. (In 'normal' use, that is. I have chipped it slightly when hitting the edge on steel racking, and dropping it blade out on concrete, but that's to be expected.) A fairly underrated steel I think, compared to many of the 'flavour of the month' steel grades.

In my experience, LC200N seems similar to 8Cr13MoV or Spyderco's AEB-L in edge retention, and slightly below VG10, at least in PE. I was surprised by this too. Thinking about it, I believe it showed better results in Lance's initial testing because of its ability to resist fine edge degradation in a coastal/marine environment. I think Lance has mentioned before that freshly sharpened stainlesses like S30V will show noticeable edge degradation after a day or two in his environment, even without being used.

Interesting result with 52100 as well, relative to the other low alloy non stainlesses.

Also, this quote from the linked article on Maximising Edge Retention, bears some thinking about:

"Edge angle had by far the strongest effect on edge retention, much stronger than other effects such as PM vs ingot and the finish it was sharpened to".
Last edited by Cambertree on Fri May 01, 2020 8:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Larrin

Post by Larrin »

FK wrote:
Fri May 01, 2020 7:55 am
Thanks for your report Larrin.
My undergraduate work was in ME with minor in metallurgy, I have a fair idea of the time you dedicated to this report.
Plus rebuilding the CATRA machine,,, dedication.
Awaiting your book.

Regards,
FK
Luckily this one looks like work at least. Some other articles took many hours but since the article takes only 10 minutes to read it doesn't look like it. Youtubers tend to do a better job of showing the work they put into things.
http://www.KnifeSteelNerds.com - Steel Metallurgy topics related to knives
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Larrin wrote:
Fri May 01, 2020 6:36 am
Wartstein wrote:
Fri May 01, 2020 6:34 am
Looking very much forward to reading the article when I get home tonight, thanx!
Just had a quick look now: Did I see right that both BD1N and LC200N have less edge retention than VG10?!
Is that surprising?

For me it is. Just from what I've read and heard so far, I got the impression most people rank both LC200N and BD1N higher in edge retention than VG10 (and between VG10 and S30V).
But personally I don't have any experience with the newer steels LC 200N and BD1N, but really like VG10.
Looking forward to reading the details of your article to learn more when I get home today!
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
TazKristi

Post by TazKristi »

Excellent work, Larrin! Thank you for sharing this with us.

Kristi
There is nothing more important than this one day.
208 tim

Post by 208 tim »

Thank you for sharing. Very cool.
PStone

Post by PStone »

Thank you Larrin for all that hard work!! And BBB too for that grind work too! Do you think you’ll ever get some Maxamet to add to your data?
Larrin

Post by Larrin »

PStone wrote:
Fri May 01, 2020 8:43 am
Do you think you’ll ever get some Maxamet to add to your data?
Yes
http://www.KnifeSteelNerds.com - Steel Metallurgy topics related to knives
PStone

Post by PStone »

Larrin wrote:
Fri May 01, 2020 8:44 am
PStone wrote:
Fri May 01, 2020 8:43 am
Do you think you’ll ever get some Maxamet to add to your data?
Yes
Then you took the words out of my mouth. YES! :spyder:
tonijedi

Post by tonijedi »

Cambertree wrote:
Fri May 01, 2020 7:57 am
Check out ZDP189. I know it has been criticised [...] A fairly underrated steel I think, compared to many of the 'flavour of the month' steel grades.

Also, this quote from the linked article on Maximising Edge Retention, bears some thinking about:

"Edge angle had by far the strongest effect on edge retention, much stronger than other effects such as PM vs ingot and the finish it was sharpened to".
I agree on these things, I only have one ZDP-189 SG Delica but the steel is definitely some notches above "regular" steels.

Edge angle is also a big factor.
Mike Blue

Post by Mike Blue »

Well done Larrin.

This is a very good addition to the body of knowledge. I'm enjoying the read. It's rare for a scientist to be swayed into writing about his emotional state during an experiment. Audio of the swearing part would have been quite entertaining in the appendices.

Praise your wife for her diligent efforts to temper your enthusiasm. If we all listened to our partners every time, scientific progress would have been much slower over time. You are lucky that you have the one you do. You are not yet a philosopher and so doomed to solving these problems by thought alone.

I can think of several threats to validity and none of them detract from this work. Addressing them would only refine the effort.
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Guess I can stop my weekly tests, there's everything we all want to know! :p

Great job!! Thank you for all the work and valuable info!
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

elena86 wrote:
Fri May 01, 2020 6:54 am
Once again my beloved CPM-Cruwear proved itself ... that's why I love this steel...almost perfect balance of properties ... and decent corrosion resistence.

Yep! Still the best all-around steel in my opinion. It should really be a production steel in all of the Golden and Seki models.

Also good to see 3V above other popular steels like Super Blue and V-TOKU. Hope to see some 3V folders soon with a HT similar to the Delta HT.
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

First impressions? Larrin, wow, what a ton of work. You have an excellent work ethic. You must be like a machine once you get going.

Surprising to see where S90V, S110V, K390 and ZDP189 ended up in relation to each other with TCC. I've always been impressed with S90V, not that I'm likely to notice the difference between the 4.

S30V keeps shining. S30V is really a great steel. I did not expect M4 to be below S30V in anything. M4 seems to be the recipient of excellent marketing, and S30V, not so much.

3V acquit itself well! And VG10, who would have thunk it?

Spyderco and Ankerson really nailed the 4V for the Province! I see so many manufacturers going with Nitro-V, and it is so unspectacular. I'm ecstatic over how 4V performed!!!

I missed out on an S60V dagger last year....now I'm kind of kicking myself.

And O1... I cannot believe that Randall still makes all of their knives with that steel. They should move up to 3V at least.

Thanks Larrin!!!
Last edited by Naperville on Fri May 01, 2020 10:26 am, edited 2 times in total.
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

Thanks Larrin for all of the hard work, excellent work. :D

I was waiting for someone to actually use a CATRA machine to do what some of us had been doing with the rope cutting all these years.

Jim
Holland

Post by Holland »

Incredible! Thanks for sharing this. Very interesting and informative read
-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

Naperville wrote:
Fri May 01, 2020 10:18 am
I see so many manufacturers going with Nitro-V, and it is so unspectacular.
Same. I bought a small Nitro-V fixed blade from one of my favorite manufacturers (Bradford) to check out the hype, and was thoroughly underwhelmed with it. And this is from a manufacturer that has blown me away with their v4e and m390 offerings. I was not surprised at all by Larrin's results for Nitro-V.
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

TomAiello wrote:
Fri May 01, 2020 10:29 am
Naperville wrote:
Fri May 01, 2020 10:18 am
I see so many manufacturers going with Nitro-V, and it is so unspectacular.
Same. I bought a small Nitro-V fixed blade from one of my favorite manufacturers (Bradford) to check out the hype, and was thoroughly underwhelmed with it. And this is from a manufacturer that has blown me away with their v4e and m390 offerings. I was not surprised at all by Larrin's results for Nitro-V.
RMJ (I believe) also uses Nitro-V in some of their larger fixed blade knives. While I like the design, we can see that the implementation is lacking. And the Province is such a steal!
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

Using various available cuts of meat, it would be interesting if Larrin could tell us how skin/meat/tendons compare to CATRA card stock.

I will never be attacked with a CATRA machine or CATRA card stock. How could these results be better related to the cutting of real world materials(human and animal flesh)? The tests are excellent, and I am in no way trying to diminish them, but for the guy/gal taking down an elk/deer what can we definitively say?

How can we approximate the number of cuts through 3/8 leather jacket? A down Winter coat? 3 T-shirts?

Just throwing this out there for thoughts.
sal

Post by sal »

Nice job Larrin.

Your findings and ours are very similar. We've got Maximet in stock if you need any.

sal
DOUBLE D

Post by DOUBLE D »

Thanks for all that time effort and money you’ve put into that Larrin. So very awesome. Loved reading it