Which Dragonfly Should I Get?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.

G-10, Leaf Blade, VG-10
10%
Pakkawood, Leaf Blade, Hap-40
10%
Lightweight, Leaf Blade, ZDP-189
27%
Lightweight, Hawbill, Serrated H1
30%
Lightweight, Wharncliffe, VG-10
23%

Total votes: 60

kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

Ok gentlepeople, it's time for a new Dragonfly to replace my long-lost & dearly-beloved ZDP-189 D'fly (which was my second-ever Spyderco!).

Part of me really just wants another little green monster, but I love that there are so many great variations out there.

The Foliage Green G-10 looks like it will match my Ranger Green Para 2 & 3 quite well, the Serrated Hawkbill would be something pretty new for me, and my, does that Pakkawood look nice.

The use case is probably a 2nd knife/small box cutter that I can let others use, and maybe a knife to bring on runs/hikes/etc.

If you were looking at one of the above, which would you go for and why?
Last edited by kennethsime on Wed Apr 29, 2020 11:19 pm, edited 3 times in total.
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
VooDooChild

Re: Which Dragonfly Should I Get?

Post by VooDooChild »

Serrated salt.
"Rome's greatest contribution to mathematics was the killing of Archimedes."
Holland

Post by Holland »

The pakkawood version has a Hap40 blade. I voted that one. Mine has been in my rotation since it came out. One of my favourites
-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE
Notsurewhy

Post by Notsurewhy »

All great knives, but I'd go with the wharncliff given your use and the choices. Vg10 is fairly sweatproof and the frn is so light that it disappears even in running shorts. It will absolutely destroy boxes. The wharnie blade shape is interesting but not so odd that your non-knife friend will cut themselves with it like they might with the hawkbill.
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

K390!

But of those listed, I'd go with ZDP. I've put a lot of mileage on multiple ZDP Dragonflies and I've never been disappointed with them.
ugaarguy

Post by ugaarguy »

For runs and hikes I'd step up to something bigger, like a Native 5 Salt. I like wharncliffe blades as box cutters, but there are some good wharnies from competitors that are less expensive, and therefor I like them better as box cutters / loaners. So, by default, I think I'd get the foliage green G10 to compliment your ranger green Paras.
SG89

Post by SG89 »

Wharnie
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
Tgmr05

Post by Tgmr05 »

Of the choices listed, I would go zdp-189. Like it better than the other choices, though a leaf shaped h1 serrated would have made my decision tougher. I like the leaf shape in the smaller blades. The zdp goes longer without sharpening, as well
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

After carrying a HAP 40 for 3 years or so, I sprung for a Wharn. It’s great but not better than the original to me. VG10 is great for EDC, so get the original in VG10 would be my pick. I also prefer clip removed, floating in front pocket
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

Hawkbill Dfly2 for sure!
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!
foofie

Post by foofie »

HaHa - love this thread.
8 replies so far, 8 different answers :p

I would have voted k390
then wharnie - hap40 if you can get it. Corrosion resistance doesn't seem to be the main issue for you, since you used the zdp-189 without issue.
But - what I would really recommend is something like mine...

wharnie zdp

why wasn't that an option?!!
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

I voted hawkbill dragonfly because it's the one I want next! I've got the ladybug version on my keychain, and it is so useful for everyday little jobs, I'd love to have a pocket-sized version. But I will say, the pakkawood hap40 is a beautiful knife. It is definitely heavier, though.
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

The Foliage Green G10 is my favorite. I love the color. My second choice is a standard serrated H1 as it has a more broadly useful blade than the Hawkbill.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

Fair points about the K390 model coming up as well as the serrated leaf blade.

I think what I might do is go for the G-10 w/ VG-10 now, and later pickup a K390 model to swap the blade & lock bar for the full matchy-matchy effect. The only problem then will be having two knives... :D

Any word yet on when the K390 Dragonflies will drop? I saw the ladybugs are out already.
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
Thunderpants

Post by Thunderpants »

The cheapest!
JustinB

Post by JustinB »

ZDP imo. It was my first Dragonfly and it got me hooked. Now when the K390 is released, then things will be a different story :D
Justin :spyder:
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

SE hawkbill. There may be other knives that compete in this size (even other Dflys) but this is the only knife available with a hawkbill. Otherwise I'd go with the standard SE Salt.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Cambertree

Post by Cambertree »

All great options, and you can’t go wrong with any of them really.

If I lost my ZDP189 Dragonfly, I’d definitely replace it.

Mine might even be my most used Spyderco knife, given I use it a lot at work.

Yeah, I think you’ll like the G10/VG10 model, if that’s what you decide to go with - it’s a superb little knife. I bought one in Seki and ended up giving it to a friend, which converted her to a Spydie lover. After a few years of using it as her EDC, she lost it (probably in a pile of garden trimmings that were thrown away) and bought another one immediately.

I’m kinda hoping for a K390 Wharncliffe.

But I voted for the VG10 Wharncliffe, as it’s the one I’ll get next if the K390 wharny version doesn’t eventuate.

The SE Salt version with leaf blade is a must-have knife in my opinion as well - it’s a beast of a little pocket chainsaw. :cool:
Cambertree

Post by Cambertree »

Also the flat ground SE VG10 version seems to be on closeout discount at the moment, which is another mighty tempting option. :)
zuludelta

Post by zuludelta »

Cambertree wrote:
Thu Apr 30, 2020 5:05 am
The SE Salt version with leaf blade is a must-have knife in my opinion as well - it’s a beast of a little pocket chainsaw. :cool:
If I had to recommend just one Dragonfly 2 model (or any folder in the "extra small" category for that matter), this would be it. "Pocket chainsaw" is a perfect description. Rustproof, holds a working edge for a long time, and light enough to put on your keychain.

But since it wasn't one of the OP's options I just voted for the hawkbill Salt version.