Spyderco Cat Refresh

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
SpyKers

Spyderco Cat Refresh

Post by SpyKers »

The Spyderco Cat is probably one of my all-time favorite designs. It's essentially a mini Sage 1 with a more budget friendly steel. I know that when the knife first came out (and the Chicago) they both had S30V with CF or laminate CF scales (I'm not sure which).

I would defintely love to see variation in handle materials/colors used for this knife. It's a great little EDC, but the black G10 could use some... spice. I'd love to see color variations in G10 (Green, Orange, Blue, etc...) or maybe throw some FRN on it with a color pop and make a lightweight model. I'm not advocating there needs to be a steel upgrade, although, I wouldn't mind sprints and such. I like the fact it's a budget folder. I'd just like to see some flare added to the model.

Thoughts? Anybody else love carrying this little guy around to thump on?

Note: All that I said above could easily be applied to the Chicago.
Last edited by SpyKers on Wed Apr 29, 2020 5:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mushroom

Re: Spyderco Cat Refresh

Post by Mushroom »

The Cat is one of my favorite designs as well. I carried one exclusively for almost two years straight! Though it was early in my Spyderco collecting days and I didn't have nearly the collection I do today, it was still an easy favorite. I ended up losing it during a night out in Boston.

When I first bought mine it was 440C, then a change to BD1 was implemented, and finally that was switched to BD1N. I've had good experience with BD1N in the Para 3 LW, so I would definitely welcome a new color Cat.

Maybe a sprint run in Carbon Fiber with BD1N as a nod to the original Cat and Chicago that were in carbon fiber? :cool: :spyder:
-Nick :bug-red
Thunderpants

Post by Thunderpants »

I wasn't mad about mine. I think it was my first Spyderco. Black G10 ... not very exciting. For a smallish blade I much prefer the Meerkat which has far more personality, or the Urban. I love cats, just not the Spyderco one!
ugaarguy

Post by ugaarguy »

I'd be down for blue G10.
SpyKers

Post by SpyKers »

Agreed Thunder, the black g10 being the only option isn’t exciting anymore. I’d love to give the Meerkat a shot at some point as well. I still much prefer the lines on the Cat however.

Mushroom: Sprint with CF is always nice. Especially as a nod to the original. I’d have to imagine simply dying G10 isn’t that difficult though and gives more options. Blue, orange, and green are sellers for sure. It’s certainly helped the Tenacious lineup.
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

The Cat sure seems to be a good platform for sprints or exclusives, but there must be a reason why there are none. Maybe the factory lacks the capacity or will to do other than what they’ve been doing? Maybe something else?
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
rabbitanarchy14

Post by rabbitanarchy14 »

i loved my cat in bd1 but got rid of it to get the new bd1n steel sometime. a sprint would be awesome. no black scales, carbon or not.
192.168.0.1 -Para 3 G10 M390 Red, Dice XHP, Lil Native Rex 45 comp, Manix 2 M390 G10 BR, PM2 M390 DLC BL, PM2 k390 RGreen, Cat BD1N, Dragonfly 2 k390
Saving for - Lil Native K390, D'allara 3, UTX-70
Instruments- Kimber EVO, SA Hellcat, SW Shield Plus 9
opasero

Post by opasero »

I love my Cat, too! I have often wondered why there are no color options, etc. Also, I have never seen any aftermarket scales for it. But I would be totally into other colors of G-10, and maybe bring back the jimping! I never got to handle the original, but I feel like jimping would only be an improvement.
foofie

Post by foofie »

The cat was the knife that first pulled me into Spyderco. I agree that the black g10 was not very inspiring. I loved it so much I had a few sets of scales made for it even.
The CF was full-CF. Early days of CF, and I remember lots of them had chips or inclusions.

Couple of old photos:
faux bolster look:

CF:

I also had a royal blue/stonewashed one at one point.
SpyKers

Post by SpyKers »

Beautiful knives foofie.

The Delica, Dragonfly, Tenacious, and Ladybug all have multiple colors with the same steel. However, the Cat is stuck with this black G10 on it that just doesn’t have any personality. I appreciate that sprint runs and exclusives for many knives have different colors, but it’s nice to have variety for general production as well.

If you’re reading this Spyderco, feel free to slap some blue scales on the Cat I just sent you for repair 😉 I may have snapped a screw off in my liner when putting the knife back together.
araneae

Post by araneae »

I'll probably not buy another until the jimping returns.
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

I'd be thoroughly disappointed if they brought the jimping back! :(
jdw

Post by jdw »

I'm another big fan of the Cat. I still occasionally carry my 440C model and I really enjoy using it for a smaller blade. It may not be the most unique or eye popping design but it's incredibly functional.
Do right always. It will give you satisfaction in life.
--Wovoka
SpyKers

Post by SpyKers »

jdw wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 6:39 am
I'm another big fan of the Cat. I still occasionally carry my 440C model and I really enjoy using it for a smaller blade. It may not be the most unique or eye popping design but it's incredibly functional.
Very functional and it’s got great lines for a smaller blade. For its size, going mostly liner less and switching to FRN could make it a featherweight. May need a lock change (insert compression lock again).

It’s a great platform that could use some inspiration to go with its handsome lines and great ergos.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

I LOVE MY CAT! I've said it many times. I have one of the older 440C versions with jimping. It is a superior knife. It is better than the carbon fiber Chaparral first run (they later fixed the issues on this). It is simply a fantastic knife. I love everything about it. I bought it on a lark for a travel knife, but it was so good, I carried it for a long time and still do time to time.

Colored G10 would be nice. I'd like something subdued, earth tones. Grey, dark olive, foliage green (I can only dream), coyote, FDE, etc.

And bring back the jimping.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

After extensive use in a warehouse, I really love this knife without jimping. Jimping on knives this size creates unnecessary hotspots during prolonged use. It's the main reason why I don't carry the Dragonfly much at work anymore. The jimping was creating blisters on my hand.