Which Endura is your ideal all-arounder?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
dan31

Re: Which Endura is your ideal all-arounder?

Post by dan31 »

I'm currently using a ZDP-189 Endura 4 for my first Endura. At first I didn't like the ergos. Once I started carrying and more importantly using it I have come around to liking it. I carry it tip down as I prefer this for longer handles. I would say 90% of my cutting has been using a pinch grip. Especially for breaking down cardboard, it has become my go to cardboard knife. Still really sharp after 6 weeks of use. Recycling goes out tonight so some cardboard is going to get sliced into ribbons with my ZDP Endura.
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Ive never considered the Endura 4 because of my dislike of frn. But having been carrying the Matriarch so far this week (same handle as the Endura 4 I've been told) I find it to be a very comfortable handle in use. May end up making me look into the Endura line a bit more.
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
TheGiant80

Post by TheGiant80 »

Thanks for all the input so far guys. A few things I should mention..

-I forgot to include I already have a SE Pac Salt 1. Definitely an amazing beater. I'm considering an E4 because (I assume) liners would make the knife a bit more stout.
-HAP40 would be great, but BentoBoxShop doesn't ship to Canada at all anymore as far as I know. Our knife laws are bogus.
-I have a Stretch 2 and it has nice ergos, but I'm a giant with giant hands. It feels a bit too small. I actually have a bunch of blades I don't use because they're too tiny for me. Liquidation imminent!

I honestly don't know which way I'm leaning right now. So many great points have been made..
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

Hopefully a Cruwear version will be out soon since we had a Cruwear Delica last year. That will be my ideal Endura!
Yep, me too.

I've spent the most time overall with VG 10 PE but the HAP 40 has been catching up over the last year and a half or so. To be honest I can get along with any version except the heavy older steel models because I've been spoiled by the light FRN versions which also have better grip-tion in all weather conditions.

Joe
shunsui

Post by shunsui »

+1 love the Cruwear Delica, would like to see a Cruwear Endura.

Of course S110V and Midnight Blue FRN would be nice too.

Oh yeah, the HAP40 was a surprisingly nice Endura too.
acer

Post by acer »

Stretch 2 . 😁👍
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

VooDooChild wrote:
Wed Apr 29, 2020 10:03 am
Foliage green sabre ground combo edge.

If you want a knife that takes a beating that is it. For me its a work knife. I dont care if it doesnt slice as well, I wouldnt hesitate to pry with the tip or beat on the knife.

I had this exact version (foliage green combo edge) for quite some time! You are absolutely right, when it comes to having a knife that REALLY takes a beating and will both cut pretty well, and still "tear apart" things (with the SE part) when gone dull already: This is it!

But in the end I figured that my ffg PE Enduras still were better at most tasks I could realistically encounter (though, again: My dream Endura would be ffg SE but not a wharnie), and so I sold my CE sabre grind one. For the role it filled for me I kept my sabre grind comboedge Delica though, which is a beast too...
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Pancake

Post by Pancake »

After Military ( or Caribbean) Endura is on my list of big Spydies that I want....
Only thing that I am just not sure is the handle.....finger grooves are great if they fit your hand...if not, they just suck.....and in Europe Endura is not like dirt cheap, it is around 100€...still, it is on my wish list, but not on first place.
In the pocket: Chaparral FRN, Native Chief, Police 4 K390, Pacific Salt SE, Manix 2 G10 REX45
zuludelta

Post by zuludelta »

I find that I rarely need more than 3-and-quarter inches of blade for work tasks at my warehouse job (indeed, 95% of what I do can be done with a Dragonfly 2) but on the days when I do need some extra blade length, a combo edge Endura 4 is my go-to. The serrations are great for cutting rope and cordage & help extend the life of the working edge past the point where a VG-10 plain edge will have gone almost unusably dull.
Cycletroll

Post by Cycletroll »

Endura is all you "need". Which one?
I am carrying a Sabre grind combo edge as I write this as I am on duty at my Fire Dept job. The Sabre grind CE has a stout grind with great tip strength and the serrations rip thru tough fibrous materials.
I carry many variants mentioned by others:
HAP 40 (mine wears custom black G10 scales), SG2, ZDP-189, as well as H1 Pac Salts in PE & SE and a well used foliage green G10 FFG VG10. I think which one you choose if sticking to one would be best guided by three factors:
What are you cutting?
What is your sharpening skill/desire?
What is your budget?
Obviously many of us have multiple variants which can cause OCD EDC Schizophrenia!
If I had to pick just one it would certainly be a PE but which one? Maybe a recently discontinued Pac Salt? Easy to sharpen and corrosion proof.
Probably a ZDP-189 as I love the wear resistance and green is my favorite color.
After all this rambling I will sum it up with one model to rule them all:
Linen micarta FFG Cruwear (pretty please Sal:)
Cambertree

Post by Cambertree »

I’d say the basic ol’ VG10 version is my ideal all rounder. I put some slab sided canvas micarta scales on mine a few years ago, and it currently lives in a kitchen cupboard as a utility knife. I’ve prepared many a meal with it while out camping too.

The HAP40 version is great as well, I just don’t tend to use it as much.

If the SE Pac Salt counts, then that’s the knife I would choose, and the one I currently use the most - mainly as a gardening knife. In truth, I could easily get by without most of the knives in my collection, but I would not like to be without that one.
Baron Mind

Post by Baron Mind »

Plain edge super gold 2 would probably be my choice so far
Cycletroll

Post by Cycletroll »

Baron Mind wrote:
Thu Apr 30, 2020 9:52 pm
Plain edge super gold 2 would probably be my choice so far
Definitely a strong contender. Better edge retention than VG10, reasonably tough, and very easy to sharpen wicked sharp ;)
ThomC

Post by ThomC »

The more I use my knives, the more I can say I'd settle on two models : the SE wharnie and the FFG PE in VG-10 or S30V (though I'd love to try the other steels).
Thing is, I mostly use my pocket knife at work, for paper, plastic, ties, carboard, wood and so on. I've noticed that I prefer a toothier edge on my PM2 for all that stuff, so I guess having SE on hand as a substitute is good, but I also like slicing cleanly for food prep.
I'll report in the dedicated SE thread as far as my experience goes.
European amateur knife enthusiast
Hikes and outdoors galore
🏍️Motorcycle enthusiast
In the knoife box : M4 Millie, Spyderco Perrin Street Bowie, TOPS Tanimboca
In the future : CE/SE/Rex45/MagnaCut Millie, K2, Slysz Bowie, linerlock Sage
Waco

Post by Waco »

A plain old FFG in VG10. I'm rather partial to this one.
Capture.PNG
Cycletroll

Post by Cycletroll »

Waco wrote:
Fri May 01, 2020 6:53 pm
A plain old FFG in VG10. I'm rather partial to this one. Capture.PNG
I feel the same about mine!
Cambertree

Post by Cambertree »

Waco wrote:
Cycletroll wrote: I feel the same about mine!
Sure, let’s hear it for the humble ol’ VG10 Endura! A great knife! :)
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Cambertree wrote:
Fri May 01, 2020 9:37 pm
Waco wrote:
Cycletroll wrote: I feel the same about mine!
Sure, let’s hear it for the humble ol’ VG10 Endura! A great knife! :)

Man, my Endura has a twin over there in Down under it seems.. ;)

Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
DOUBLE D

Post by DOUBLE D »

Where are you guys getting these scales at??
Cambertree

Post by Cambertree »

DOUBLE D wrote:
Sat May 02, 2020 7:16 am
Where are you guys getting these scales at??
I get mine from Suingab at https://g10.lt and can definitely recommend his work, based on my dealings with him.

I believe brother Wartstein’s are from Cuscadi in Germany. I also have scales by Cuscadi and they do high quality work as well.

There are slight differences if you look closely. Cuscadi seem to like to apply a chamfer to the edges of their scales, like most of the stock Spyderco G10 scale edges. Suingab generally uses a smoother radius on the edges, which I slightly prefer.

Of course being custom scales you can order them however you like.

These days I generally ask for heavy contouring on the scale edges for increased handling comfort.
Wartstein wrote: Man, my Endura has a twin over there in Down under it seems.. ;)
Definitely! A brother from another mother! :D