DF2 Pakkawood impressions

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Edward_Scissorhands

DF2 Pakkawood impressions

Post by Edward_Scissorhands »

I picked up one of these lately, and it's a nice, little knife. The Pakkawood scales and steel liners really give it a gentlemanly look. That said, it's almost double the weight of the FRN DF2. Of course, this is still very light, but to me, it kind of negates one of the great advantages of a DF. I can barely feel my FRN version in the pocket, while the Pakka is almost as heavy my Delica.

My only other gripe is the steel liners. The edges feel pretty sharp when I run my finger along them. Probably sharp enough to cut my finger if I purposely tried, but there doesn't seem to be any danger of doing it accidentally. Not huge deal, but at this price point, I feel like they could've smoothed them out. It has a bit of "lock rock", too, but so does my other DF.

Overall, it's a handsome knife, with a few minor downsides. When I want to just toss a knife in my pocket and forget about it, I still find myself reaching for my original DF2.
abbazaba

Re: DF2 Pakkawood impressions

Post by abbazaba »

I love the Seki Pakkawood models. However, I sold my G10 DF2 for the same reason... the extra weight kinda kills the magic of the DF2 for me.

The Delica Pakkawood was one of my most carried knives in the office, loose in pocket with my keys. After about a year of carry the Pakkawood still looks like new.

Hoping we see a Police4 Pakkawood!
Thunderpants

Post by Thunderpants »

Those Knifecenter pakkawoods have always been on my imaginary wish list, but sometimes ordering stuff from the States is more hassle than it's worth for us Europeans.The combination of Hap40 and a woody handle is still very appealing.
Can you take those knives apart? perhaps you can get some sand paper and smooth down the rough metal edges.
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

I love it as a "gents knife". When I want lightweight, the FRN is my obvious first choice, and the FRN definitely gets used more.

I can't wait for the FRN K390. :)
Filoso-

Post by Filoso- »

Edward_Scissorhands wrote:
Wed Apr 29, 2020 8:26 am
My only other gripe is the steel liners. The edges feel pretty sharp when I run my finger along them. Probably sharp enough to cut my finger if I purposely tried, but there doesn't seem to be any danger of doing it accidentally. Not huge deal, but at this price point, I feel like they could've smoothed them out.
One thing I do, regarding the sharp edges of the steel liners, is to run softly a brown rod of my Sharpmaker along the liner edge to soften it.
Edward_Scissorhands

Filoso- wrote:
Wed Apr 29, 2020 9:46 am
Edward_Scissorhands wrote:
Wed Apr 29, 2020 8:26 am
My only other gripe is the steel liners. The edges feel pretty sharp when I run my finger along them. Probably sharp enough to cut my finger if I purposely tried, but there doesn't seem to be any danger of doing it accidentally. Not huge deal, but at this price point, I feel like they could've smoothed them out.
One thing I do, regarding the sharp edges of the steel liners, is to run softly a brown rod of my Sharpmaker along the liner edge to soften it.
Thanks, that is a good idea! I was thinking maybe sandpaper, but the rod sounds like a better bet.
Edward_Scissorhands

abbazaba wrote:
Wed Apr 29, 2020 9:14 am
I love the Seki Pakkawood models. However, I sold my G10 DF2 for the same reason... the extra weight kinda kills the magic of the DF2 for me.

The Delica Pakkawood was one of my most carried knives in the office, loose in pocket with my keys. After about a year of carry the Pakkawood still looks like new.

Hoping we see a Police4 Pakkawood!
Exactly. I don't really like things in my pockets, especially weight things. I typically wear cargos, so the cell phone is in one leg pocket, then if I don't have on a jacket, the keys are in another pocket. I guess it has to do with the way the weight is distributed, but I find that carrying the knife clipped to a pocket makes it feel lighter than if I just toss it in a pocket. The DF2 is an exception, though. It's **** light regardless. I've also been thinking about it lately, and did some reading on OH knife laws. They sound pretty stupid, and basically say it's illegal to carry any "deadly weapon" concealed, but they don't really define 'deadly weapon.' It's possible to kill someone with a pencil, so I guess I can't carry a pencil concealed? At any rate, it seems it's better to carry clipped, since that way, the knife isn't concealed.

I am also carrying a firearm somewhere on my person when out and about, so I really appreciate things that don't add any extra bulk/weight to my 'loadout'. The lightness is one reason I'm a big fan of knives like the DF and Chappy.