Knives for fidgeters?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
SubMicron

Re: Knives for fidgeters?

Post by SubMicron »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Wed Apr 29, 2020 7:53 pm
I dunno, this is a sad thread in my opinion...which I know doesn't mean much. But come on, do people really have that much free time in their lives to sit around flicking a knife around, or buying a knife mainly for that purpose?? Seems like a waste of $100+
Some people have enough time on their hands to go online and be critical of how people spend their own free time or even criticize how they're using the items they've purchased with their own money.... just sayin'

I do understand that a knife isnt built for the purpose of being fidgeted with, however I'll decide how the items I purchase will be used. The fidget factor of a knife weighs heavily on my purchasing decision.

I flick my knife during my idle time because I want to, I like doing it, and if the knife wasn't there, something else would be getting fidgeted with.

Beyond that, there's actually real benefits to fidgeting with your knife. You're using muscles in repetition that dont otherwise get used a whole lot.

1. You develop additional hand strength.
2. You develop better finger dexterity, coordination, and reaction time.
3. You develop muscle memory which makes using your knife more SAFE.

So for safety purposes, go get some reps in with your knife!!!
GarageBoy

Post by GarageBoy »

A fidget Colt 1911 would be fun ;-)
Balisongs might be your answer and no lock to wear
Last edited by GarageBoy on Thu Apr 30, 2020 12:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SpyderGrill

Post by SpyderGrill »

SubMicron wrote:
Wed Apr 29, 2020 10:36 pm
TkoK83Spy wrote:
I dunno, this is a sad thread in my opinion...which I know doesn't mean much. But come on, do people really have that much free time in their lives to sit around flicking a knife around, or buying a knife mainly for that purpose?? Seems like a waste of $100+
Some people have enough time on their hands to go online and be critical of how people spend their own free time or even criticize how they're using the items they've purchased with their own money.... just sayin'

I do understand that a knife isnt built for the purpose of being fidgeted with, however I'll decide how the items I purchase will be used. The fidget factor of a knife weighs heavily on my purchasing decision.

I flick my knife during my idle time because I want to, I like doing it, and if the knife wasn't there, something else would be getting fidgeted with.

Beyond that, there's actually real benefits to fidgeting with your knife. You're using muscles in repetition that dont otherwise get used a whole lot.

Lol,,,,,,,,,now drop the " just sayin" and the " that being said " crap in every other post
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

SpyderGrill wrote:
Wed Apr 29, 2020 11:41 pm
SubMicron wrote:
TkoK83Spy wrote:

Lol,,,,,,,,,now drop the " just sayin" and the " that being said " crap in every other post

Spydergirl, I don´t get what you mean.. :o (and I don´t mean your opinion on the "fidget makes sense or not discussion", but indepenedent of that topic I don´t understand the context your comment (might be the limitations of my English)
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

TkoK83Spy wrote:

I find myself using my knife most of the day, coming home and cleaning up the tape gunk and whatever residue is on the blade, setting it on the counter until it goes back in the pocket the next morning. Sitting around flicking it while watching tv... how are you paying attention to what your watching, communicating with your spouse or children?? Why do you need a knife while hanging out with your family..or even alone by yourself doing nothing?

Let alone if a spouse or kids are present and you lose control and the knife goes flying...I dont want to think of the possible consequences. The fidgeting thing just irritates me, especially if you dont even use your knife regularly...what's the point in taking chances?

Sorry everyone. End rant
Rick, that brings up interesting points (though in a bit harsh words... ;) )

I personally like and value your posts especially cause I am aware of that you really know what you´re talking about when it comes to using knives and how they perform because you obviously, well, really USE knives constantly and frequently.

But it is a given that this is not the case for the majority of people on this forum. I myself use all of my Spydies (and in order to being able to really do so I limit my collection to ten at each point in time), and I try to do that as often as possible . But I don´t have a job that requires knife use as part of the job- luckily it is not an office job either, I am a lot "on the road" (bike, car, walking..) and in the outdoors, so there are still plenty occasions where I can and have to use my EDC folders. Might even be that during a work day I can start a small fire outdoors and prepare a makeshift lunch, and use my Spydie for both.

But the point here is: We all love knives, and love to carry an EDC folder, but let´s face it: The regular, urban office person might only come across one or two occasions per month where they really have use for the knife.. and if they happen not to have an outdoorsy lifestyle in their spare time, that might be it.

So I think it is only natural that people find other ways to enjoy and handle their knives. Might be excessive cutting tasks, might be arranging them nicely in a showcase, might be dressing them up with custom stuff, and might be fidgeting.

I think that´s all fine as long as it is safe and one enjoys the hobby in whatever way they like.

BUT, that being said: I still get what you, as a person that really has to use knives in the job, are saying and feeling:
It is probably much like when I watch people wearing a great trailrunning shoe in a shopping center, where that type of shoe makes no sense at all functionally speaking and the soft studs of the sole, made for mud and earth, are worn down without any sense on the hard shopping center floor... ;) Such things always puzzle me in the first moment, but then I think: Who am I to decide how to enjoy a trail running shoe... if a person likes to wear it down in a shopping center, enjoys doing so and does not harm anyone else: Just fine.
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

If "fidgeting" means to play with opening and closing the knife:

For me that´s only fun with lockbacks. Unusual answer, I know, so let me explain:

A backlock knife offers many (maybe the most of each lock type?? - never checked that though!) ways of opening and closing and "playing around" with the knife one handed, BUT, differently to let´s say a comp. lock: It takes a good amount of practice and/or frequent use of the knife.
But that´s excactly what makes it satisfying to me. In order to really being able to fidget with a backlock knife, you somehow have to "master a skill" and getting to know your knife first. And that´s what I like.
It is a bit like learning Balisong tricks, and for me personally it is just fun and a satisfying and familiar feeling to let´s say sit and watch a youtube clip or just during a break when hiking and flick my lockbacks with each finger for some minutes without even really thinking about it.

And: In the case of flicking backlocks I certainly second "SubMicrons" points that this develops finger strength, dexterity, muscle memory and ultimately control over the knife.
Being a climber, my fingers (= the forearm muscles) are probably quite strong, but they are trained mainly to curl inwards, so to go into a closed hand position, since obviously that´s the way you grab tonto a hold on the rock. I sometimes have a feeling that flicking my backlocks with each finger (which requires some strength) does train the antagonist muscles a bit (so the muscles that move the fingers in an open hand position), which might be healthy for me in keeping a balance (much like in a gym you would not only train the biceps, but also the antagonist triceps).
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

There is something in me that likes the texture of certain materials and their various treatments, the sense and sound of a precision mechanism, the satisfaction of a well resolved design.

I may or may not pick an object up to appreciate all or any of the above, I might hold it or I might manipulate it - heck, I may even use it!
Milkman

Post by Milkman »

Spyderco Janisong

I bought one at Ray Gue Hua during my Taiwan trip right before the Taipei meet so I'd have at least one Spydie with me. I spent the rest of the trip flipping it in my hotel room while watching movies at night.
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Spydergirl88 wrote:
Wed Apr 29, 2020 9:28 pm
My son is 2. I can't fidget with my knives around him bc if he sees me using my knife he wants to use one too. Obviously this cannot be allowed. So I got him a toy swiss army knife... Looks like he's been prying with it from the bend in the blade... 😑Image

Hahaha, that's great! He's off to a good start! Pretty cool, I didn't know they made those.
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
SG89

Post by SG89 »

Wartstein wrote:
Thu Apr 30, 2020 12:44 am
SpyderGrill wrote:
SubMicron wrote:
TkoK83Spy wrote:

Spydergirl, I don´t get what you mean.. :o (and I don´t mean your opinion on the "fidget makes sense or not discussion", but indepenedent of that topic I don´t understand the context your comment (might be the limitations of my English)
Not me :)
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Spydergirl88 wrote:
Thu Apr 30, 2020 6:23 am
Wartstein wrote:
SpyderGrill wrote:
SubMicron wrote:

Spydergirl, actually it IS your short reply to SubMicron I don't understand... ;)
But no worries, this is not important at all.
DTPrime

Post by DTPrime »

Wartstein wrote:
Thu Apr 30, 2020 7:19 am
Spydergirl, actually it IS your short reply to SubMicron I don't understand... ;)
GRILL not GIRL
SG89

Post by SG89 »

Wartstein wrote:
Spydergirl88 wrote:
Wartstein wrote:
SpyderGrill wrote:

That's a different forum member
Spydergirl88
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Spydergirl88 wrote:
Thu Apr 30, 2020 7:26 am
Wartstein wrote:
Spydergirl88 wrote:
Wartstein wrote:

That's a different forum member
:p ... Right, sorry!!
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

The stainless dragonfly makes an excellent "fidget spinner" in the closed position. I found this out years before the "fidget spinner" craze. It has just the right amount of weight to keep going. Just lightly grab the hole with your index and thumb or middle and thumb. Depends on hand size too.

As far as fidgeting stuff. I do it all the time. I don't buy objects for it though. Being at a desk all day isn't the easiest thing. I'll spin ink pens, open and close knives, play with rope, etc, etc and still do my job. Some days I have less time than others to fidget.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
I dunno, this is a sad thread in my opinion...

Sorry everyone. End rant

Well, for me the word "fidgeting" is dumbing it down quite a bit. For me the knife hobby is as much about engineering and design as it is about steel and edges. I enjoy locks and pivots, so the "fidgeting" is a way of enjoying those things, and is in my opinion very much a type of use. By just opening/cutting/closing/putting away a knife, I'm not spending much time at all "using" the lock and pivot, and seeing how the lock works and how well it engages and how smooth the pivot turns is a big part of the experience for me, it's the other side of the "use" coin.

I never used to understand collector's much the same as you don't understand fidgeting. To me, "use" meant cutting things up but I've come to understand that a knife can be enjoyed just as much to some people just by handling it. There is a type of art behind the design, just like a painting doesn't exactly DO anything, you just enjoy admiring it. I try to get as much of all of those different kinds of enjoyment as I can, I feel like it maximizes my time and further justifies my purchase.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
I dunno, this is a sad thread in my opinion...
I think this thread is sad due to its inability to stay on topic.

OP asked a pretty strait forward question.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
araneae

Post by araneae »

I have a hard time not fidgeting with the Ikuchi. Not something I would do in public, but while sitting around the house that flipper is hard to ignore. At least until my wife gives me the glare...
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal
Monty

Post by Monty »

Spydergirl88 wrote:
Wed Apr 29, 2020 9:28 pm
My son is 2. I can't fidget with my knives around him bc if he sees me using my knife he wants to use one too. Obviously this cannot be allowed. So I got him a toy swiss army knife... Looks like he's been prying with it from the bend in the blade... 😑Image
There's a neat line of toys from Melissa and Doug - wooden fruit, pizza, cake etc cut into pieces and attached with Velcro. You "cut" through the Velcro with the included wooden knife. My toddler loves it.
SG89

Post by SG89 »

Monty wrote:
Thu Apr 30, 2020 12:00 pm
There's a neat line of toys from Melissa and Doug - wooden fruit, pizza, cake etc cut into pieces and attached with Velcro. You "cut" through the Velcro with the included wooden knife. My toddler loves it.
Thanks, I'll have to check that out sounds cool
Spydergirl88