Quarantined and bored...

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Albatross

Quarantined and bored...

Post by Albatross »

My family and I have been fighting a few viruses over the last couple of months(not the evil C word), so I've had more time with my thoughts, which might have been a bad thing. Time will tell.

I sharpened a few knives, but eventually ran out. I found things to cut, but the fun was short-lived. What now?

Naturally, the next course of action, was to go shopping. The beautiful Para 3 204P exclusive showed up last week and joined it's two Para 3 brothers, the XHP and Rex 45 exclusives. After giving the Compression lock another go, I've found some better ways to actuate the lock, to avoid losing my grip on the smaller frame of the Para 3.

This got me thinking; I've always had a bit of a problem with knife self-control, so maybe going to multiple versions of the same model would help. I do realize this might not sound like much of a difference to most of you, but going from 10-20 knives(depending on the time of year) to 5-7 is a serious change for me. I've tried to keep the numbers low, but they always creep back up. Having more, seems to create an increased "need", which is the opposite of what seems logical. More knives SHOULD mean less demand for new ones...

There's the inevitable, nagging thought, that always seems to pop up; I have model A and model B, but I need more variations of each, and also need other models, because... well I don't have any valid reasons. Maybe, just maybe, taking options away from myself, MIGHT limit spending. Possibly...

The plan is to acquire 5-7 Para 3 knives, in different steels, to satisfy my need for diversity. Up next, Maxamet, K390, and S30V. These steels should handle everything I need knives for.

I need to enjoy my knives more, instead of being overly obsessed about things that don't matter.

Has anyone else done something similar? Has it worked? What model did you do this with?

If not, has the current state of the world given you more time for knife testing, purchasing, collection reassessment, etc?
TkoK83Spy

Re: Quarantined and bored...

Post by TkoK83Spy »

I love the Golden models, most of my collection are these knives. I TRY my best to tell myself, I only need 2 of each...1 satin blade, 1 dlc blade. For now, it's worked for me with PM2's and Shamans. I have 3 Para 3's and 5 Manix's though.

It's tough. I've been having a blast doing my little weekly reviews and trying out all these steels. Do I really need the same steel in 3 different models, probably not...but then I think and justify to myself, well they ARE different knives. Probably not logical.

I at one time did have 7 Para 3's and started to get a little bored with the model and was able to sell all but 2 of them (though I did just get that 204P version as well) I THINK I can bring myself to sell the BBS smurf blue model, but...it's one of my only knives in a more vibrant color and like that difference :p
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
SG89

Post by SG89 »

I feel ya'! More free time to use my knives but also more free time to buy more knives. A dangerous combination for those of us trying to "behave" and buy less knives. At the end of the day if you have the money to spare I don't see the harm in it. However, I am an enabler. If I didn't already have a rex45 para 3, I would be all over the k390 one.
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
Thunderpants

Post by Thunderpants »

Spyderco should make a knife with a blade made of cream cheese just to see how bad this collecting fetish really is! I mean of course it's great for them if people buy the same knife a dozen times but does having seven Para 3s help anyone in any way? Presumably half of them never get used, so the blades may as well be made out of ... cream cheese.
Larry_Mott

Post by Larry_Mott »

Thunderpants wrote:
Mon Apr 27, 2020 7:43 am
Spyderco should make a knife with a blade made of cream cheese just to see how bad this collecting fetish really is! I mean of course it's great for them if people buy the same knife a dozen times but does having seven Para 3s help anyone in any way? Presumably half of them never get used, so the blades may as well be made out of ... cream cheese.

"Life is fragile - we should take better care of each other, and ourselves - every day!"
//Eva Mott 1941 - 2019. R.I.P.
blues

Post by blues »

Life is short. We don't need to make excuses for the things that make us happy as long as in pursuing them we do so prudently. This goes for any hobby or avocation whether it's cars, photography, travel, rare books, coin collecting, stamp collecting or buying sneakers.

If knife collecting is the thing that drives us, it is as good, (if not better), than many other hobbies or pursuits, as long as in doing so we do not forfeit or jeopardize the important things we need to secure our health, happiness and financial independence both now and in the future...for ourselves and our loved ones.

So endeth the sermon from a retired dude who managed to enjoy life while still planning for the future. (And who, as some may know, has more than a few knives lying around the shack.)

Good health to you all.
- Retired from the chase -
Albatross

Post by Albatross »

Thunderpants wrote:
Mon Apr 27, 2020 7:43 am
All of my knives are used heavily and regularly. I'm not a collector, just a someone looking for their "forever" knives.

I used a Delica 4 for a couple years, and had sharpened away about 1/8th the blade, within 6 months of use at work. Minimal steel removal and stropping every night, surely helped, but I had to sharpen at least once per week, if not 3 times. 24-72 sharpenings, within 6 months is a lot. High edge retention, good edge stability, and multiples seemed to be the best option. Some of the sharpenings were a result of improper use, due to time constraints, which resulted in edge damage. For me, this is why high strength became a desirable quality.

While 7 Paras might seem ridiculous to an outsider, this is intended to be the set of knives I have until I die... assuming I don't give in to the desire to purchase more before then.

Let's be real though, I probably will buy more at some point, because I'm weak, and people keep sharing beautiful pictures of their knives.
Albatross

Post by Albatross »

blues wrote:
Mon Apr 27, 2020 8:02 am
Life is short. We don't need to make excuses for the things that make us happy as long as in pursuing them we do so prudently. This goes for any hobby or avocation whether it's cars, photography, travel, rare books, coin collecting, stamp collecting or buying sneakers.

If knife collecting is the thing that drives us, it is as good, (if not better), than many other hobbies or pursuits, as long as in doing so we do not forfeit or jeopardize the important things we need to secure our health, happiness and financial independence both now and in the future...for ourselves and our loved ones.

So endeth the sermon from a retired dude who managed to enjoy life while still planning for the future. (And who, as some may know, has more than a few knives lying around the shack.)

Good health to you all.
I'm less happy with more. It's clutter, at least that's how I see it. This is why I prefer to have less and want to limit myself. I would prefer to spend the extra money on more trips with the family, than more knives I'll end up getting rid of anyway.

I like the idea of variety, and in moderation, it's wonderful. Too much, however, is something that I don't enjoy. Since I love the knife hobby, it's been difficult to keep the purchases down, because of steel/model curiosity, or philosophy changes. Setting a strict limit will be difficult, but ultimately, should be liberating. As I've said, I'm not a collector, just a weak consumer. :D
Thunderpants

Post by Thunderpants »

I have way too many knives myself.It's just funny (and a little worrying) how once you start thinking about blade steels and edge retention, it's difficult to stop.Not to mention all the different designs for what is essentially a very simple thing.
While writing this the doorbell rang - two new Spydercos! A Kapara and a Rex Native LW. Now how the heck am I gonna bust open those boxes...
blues

Post by blues »

Albatross wrote:
Mon Apr 27, 2020 8:20 am

I'm less happy with more. It's clutter, at least that's how I see it. This is why I prefer to have less and want to limit myself. I would prefer to spend the extra money on more trips with the family, than more knives I'll end up getting rid of anyway.

I like the idea of variety, and in moderation, it's wonderful. Too much, however, is something that I don't enjoy. Since I love the knife hobby, it's been difficult to keep the purchases down, because of steel/model curiosity, or philosophy changes. Setting a strict limit will be difficult, but ultimately, should be liberating. As I've said, I'm not a collector, just a weak consumer. :D
I totally understand...and I'm like that in pretty much every other arena in life. I'm retired from federal law enforcement and carry a firearm every day, yet I only own a handful of firearms...primarily the same ones I used on and off the job for most of my adult life. I don't collect handguns or rifles, and still own and carry what I used in the late 80's and 90's. (Earlier guns have been traded and sold.)

I buy a car or truck new and keep it for ten or more years.

But ever since I was a kid and my grandfather set the hook in me, (unintentionally), I've had a passion for knives. The good thing is that I can afford what I have and will have more to give away for others to enjoy in years to come.

The knives that I do use, get used as the maker intended...whether production or custom.
- Retired from the chase -
Liveliner

Post by Liveliner »

Can't explain my new found fascination with everything knife. I did 30 yrs as a career FF with one knife in my pocket an Endura 3 SE. Retired now,I had to leave my one knife in FL a month ago because I flew home, no checked bag, didn't want to lose to TSA. Enter Covid 19.
Left car, summer clothes, knife etc. in Fl planning on flying back in April to drive back to New England, NOT. Point is I felt naked without that knife in my pocket. No prob, get another. I did, then another and another ...,,. Started with Para 3 G-10, then LW. Started reading forums, expensive mistake. Surfcasting for striped bass soon, enter two salts a Pacific Salt H1 and a Native 5 LC200n. Inbound a Manix2 and Para 2. I'm retired now, how many times will I be ambushed by a cardboard box or phone book page, really. Fought the red devil for 30yrs, one knife covered EDC, forcible entry, seatbelt extrications and cardboard box attacks. Too much time on my hands. Discovered how much fun flipping and fidgeting spydie drops and finger flips can be. I may be crazy but I go to sleep with a knife smile on my face.
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Liveliner,

Welcome to our forum.

Thanx for the input. "Life is but a memory" and you seem to have a lot of them.

sal
Albatross

Post by Albatross »

Liveliner wrote:
Mon Apr 27, 2020 11:06 am
Can't explain my new found fascination with everything knife. I did 30 yrs as a career FF with one knife in my pocket an Endura 3 SE. Retired now,I had to leave my one knife in FL a month ago because I flew home, no checked bag, didn't want to lose to TSA. Enter Covid 19.
Left car, summer clothes, knife etc. in Fl planning on flying back in April to drive back to New England, NOT. Point is I felt naked without that knife in my pocket. No prob, get another. I did, then another and another ...,,. Started with Para 3 G-10, then LW. Started reading forums, expensive mistake. Surfcasting for striped bass soon, enter two salts a Pacific Salt H1 and a Native 5 LC200n. Inbound a Manix2 and Para 2. I'm retired now, how many times will I be ambushed by a cardboard box or phone book page, really. Fought the red devil for 30yrs, one knife covered EDC, forcible entry, seatbelt extrications and cardboard box attacks. Too much time on my hands. Discovered how much fun flipping and fidgeting spydie drops and finger flips can be. I may be crazy but I go to sleep with a knife smile on my face.
Welcome to the forum!

You brought up an excellent point; 1 knife for 30 years was plenty, but this interest(or obsession?) seems to override rational thinking. Welcome to the hobby. :D

Don't worry, you're not crazy, you are "passionate".

Watching the show, "Mountian Men" with my wife recently, I heard something that made me laugh and sounded absurd, until self-awareness kicked in. One of the guys bragged about his hammer obsession. With a giant grin, he told the world about his collection of hammers, which he said was more than 200. We all have our "thing".
Thunderpants

Post by Thunderpants »

I can just imagine a world-weary Nick Shabazz voice saying "Oh, God, please don't get into hammers! But since you ask, this little guy is an Estwing Surestrike California Framing hammer, coming in at 25 ounces. And here's your Delica for comparison..."
Holland

Post by Holland »

Cool thread, I've had the same thoughts recently, which has led me to sell some knives.

For whatever reason, whenever a delica or dragonfly sprint comes around, I have to buy 2 instead of just 1 for some reason. So I'm unloading the BNIB superblue, hap40 and vToku2 duplicates.

I'm trying to get my hoard down to under 25.

My issue is, a lot of my knives I dont use anymore, have sentimental value so i dont want to sell them, even though I know I won't use them again.

Pic of half of the keepers, for fun

-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

There's a few knives I keep for their sentimental value, but the rest of the knives in my collection have day jobs.

The knives in my daily rotation are milestones in design and comfort. With few exceptions, they can handle whatever my day entails.

What drives me to keep collecting? There are still new combinations of design, materials, and performance that talented folks are putting together. Some of those combinations might allow me to do a task better. Better try one and see!
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!