I want a Sage 5 in a premium steel!!!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.

Do you want a Sage 5 or Sage 5 Lightweight in a premium steel?

1) I want one too... YAY! :)
81%
2) Nope ... not my cup o' tea :(
19%

Total votes: 53

sal

Re: I want a Sage 5 in a premium steel!!!

Post by sal »

We read and listen to all of the comments and wish lists. Many times they do materialize, though not as quickly as some would like. Many of these requests are picked up by exclusives. So we intro a model in it's most generic combination and wait and watch to see demand.

sal
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

wrdwrght wrote:
Mon Apr 27, 2020 9:36 am
Larry_Mott wrote:
Mon Apr 27, 2020 1:18 am
Mushroom wrote:
Sun Apr 26, 2020 10:25 pm
Agree 100% so didn't vote since the Sage series ARE my cup of tea, but i am totally indifferent to changes in steel.
Plenty of choices for steel nerds to go to town on. Please keep the Sage and Chaparral series 'as is/intended'
I echo Larry.

And I’ll go a step farther.

Many newer (than me) and more active (than me) people here seem less interested in what has motivated the Glessers in their design-decisions and, so, second-guess these decisions with selfish change-requests, sometimes even before an announced model materializes.

This disrespectful clamoring also finds its way into Sal’s bombshell thread where, now, irrelevant personal exchanges have ruined a once-useful signal-to-noise ratio.

I am not sure that I get what you mean:

I fully understand that the bombshell thread should be purely reserved for, well "Sals bombshells", and NOT actual discussion of those

But: You are saying that it would be generally "disrespectfull clamoring" if people discuss their ideas and wishes for models they love?! And you characterize that as "selfish change requests"?
If you do so (and again, maybe I got you wrong), I have to say:
Discussing ideas and wishes is a big part of what this forum is about, and if it was not that way, we would not have a Delica Wharncliff /"Jazzlica" for example... :rolleyes:
Last edited by Wartstein on Mon Apr 27, 2020 10:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

sal wrote:
Mon Apr 27, 2020 9:45 am
We read and listen to all of the comments and wish lists. Many times they do materialize, though not as quickly as some would like. Many of these requests are picked up by exclusives. So we intro a model in it's most generic combination and wait and watch to see demand.

sal
Point taken.
-Marc (pocketing an S110V Native5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

Wartstein wrote:
Mon Apr 27, 2020 9:46 am
Discussing ideas and wishes is a big part of what this forum is about, and if it was not that way, we would not have a Delica Wharncliff /"Jazzlica" for example... :rolleyes:
Sal’s comment and my response would make superfluous anything more I might say.
-Marc (pocketing an S110V Native5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

wrdwrght wrote:
Mon Apr 27, 2020 11:53 am
Wartstein wrote:
Mon Apr 27, 2020 9:46 am
Sal’s comment and my response would make superfluous anything more I might say.

Thanks for your reply anyway!
And my own comment above is superflluent too in the light of Sals post, but I typed it at the same time as he did obviously and consequently was not aware of his
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
cycleguy

Re: Voting Omission

Post by cycleguy »

RustyIron wrote:
Sun Apr 26, 2020 9:38 pm
Where is the checkbox for a Sage 5 in premium steel that's left handed?
Err ... Uhhmmm ... eeee... oh, that would be found on the left handed forum??? :D :p :eek:

CG
So many knives - so little funds!!!
cycleguy

Post by cycleguy »

Mushroom wrote:
Personally, I feel like there is a certain level of integrity that comes with the Sage series as a whole. It's primary concept is to utilize a single design theme but showcase a unique lock as a way of honoring the locks inventor. The theme present across the entire series is the design itself, a deep carry wire clip, and an S30V blade. To release a regular production model that doesn't maintain at least those three things would, in a way, abandon the integrity of the whole series.

I feel like an exclusive variant could probably get away with changing the blade steel, but I wouldn't want to see a regular production model with anything but S30V.

:spyder:
What if they did the entire line (1 thru 5) in a new color and premium steel? Would that be a violation of the design philosophy?

I know what you mean. I feel this way about the Delica and it should be nothing other than FRN, and if it isn't it is departing from its true design philosophy. Mostly everyone here told me to go pound sand!!!!!!!!!!!!! :rolleyes:

CG
So many knives - so little funds!!!
jpm2

Post by jpm2 »

Good luck everyone, I've been wanting a sage 1 in m4 for a long time.
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

At this point, going into the 6th Sage if/when that happens, it would just seem against tradition to go and change the steel. Lock type and materials used is plenty fun enough to differentiate the models. I love trying all kinds of steels, but changing it on this series just seems wrong imo.
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
AHarbuck

Post by AHarbuck »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Mon Apr 27, 2020 5:40 pm
At this point, going into the 6th Sage if/when that happens, it would just seem against tradition to go and change the steel. Lock type and materials used is plenty fun enough to differentiate the models. I love trying all kinds of steels, but changing it on this series just seems wrong imo.
I get that sentiment.

All the same, the LW version seems a great enough departure from the rest of the line, right? So I at least would be ok with experimenting with LW in different steel/color combos. Seems a no brainer to me provided the original LW model sells enough to prove the market. I’m in if it happens.
sal

Post by sal »

That is the advantage of the FRN model. We can use it as a departure for variations.

sal
anycal

Post by anycal »

AHarbuck wrote:
Mon Apr 27, 2020 7:32 pm
TkoK83Spy wrote:
Mon Apr 27, 2020 5:40 pm
I get that sentiment.

All the same, the LW version seems a great enough departure from the rest of the line, right? So I at least would be ok with experimenting with LW in different steel/color combos. Seems a no brainer to me provided the original LW model sells enough to prove the market. I’m in if it happens.

I don't have a Sage yet, so no real opinion one way or the other, but how is the LW a departure? Full line of Sages in link below.

viewtopic.php?p=1388920#p1388920
Peter
ugaarguy

Post by ugaarguy »

Larry_Mott wrote:
Mon Apr 27, 2020 1:18 am
Mushroom wrote:
Personally, I feel like there is a certain level of integrity that comes with the Sage series as a whole. It's primary concept is to utilize a single design theme but showcase a unique lock as a way of honoring the locks inventor. The theme present across the entire series is the design itself, a deep carry wire clip, and an S30V blade. To release a regular production model that doesn't maintain at least those three things would, in a way, abandon the integrity of the whole series.

I feel like an exclusive variant could probably get away with changing the blade steel, but I wouldn't want to see a regular production model with anything but S30V.

:spyder:
Agree 100% so didn't vote since the Sage series ARE my cup of tea, but i am totally indifferent to changes in steel.
Plenty of choices for steel nerds to go to town on. Please keep the Sage and Chaparral series 'as is/intended'
Sal has already thrown us a bone with the Sage 5 LW. I'm thankful he and the rest of the team gave us a user Sage. I rarely carry my Sage 2, even though it's one of my favorite knives, because it's already getting rather pricey on the secondary market if I lost the knife and had to replace it. I prefer the wire clip to the three screw hourglass clip. I understand the idea of showcasing different locks, but that only lasts so long. The Sage is the best feeling Spyderco for me, and it's a knife I want to use. If spinning off the Sage 5 into it's own regular production model with sprints, exclusives, and even a premium regular production variant keeps it alive, I'll do my best to buy them. I'd love to see more user Sages. It would be a shame to see such a great design relegated to strictly a lock showcase of collector pieces.
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Ugaarguy,

Actually I have to admit that the functional side of my values took over and I came to the same conclusion that you mentioned. The design works well for a larger percentage of the market and we decided that an FRN model could take on a spirit of its own, as an EDC and not just part of a collection.

Now we can be open to variation, which I'm all for. Give me a Sage 5 FRN model with Mxxamet, Cruwear, K390 or CPM-SPY27, a subtle color and I'm smiing. :)

sal
DTPrime

Post by DTPrime »

sal wrote:
Mon Apr 27, 2020 9:00 pm
Now we can be open to variation, which I'm all for. Give me a Sage 5 FRN model with Mxxamet, Cruwear, K390 or CPM-SPY27, a subtle color and I'm smiing. :)

sal
THIS!
:D :D :D :D
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

sal wrote:
Hi Ugaarguy,

Actually I have to admit that the functional side of my values took over and I came to the same conclusion that you mentioned. The design works well for a larger percentage of the market and we decided that an FRN model could take on a spirit of its own, as an EDC and not just part of a collection.

sal
The lightweight Sage 5 definitely feels like a departure from the "traditional" Sage series, so I agree that it would be the most ideal variant to introduce with a new steel. (I feel the same for the Chaparral LW also) :spyder:
-Nick :bug-red
rabbitanarchy14

Post by rabbitanarchy14 »

cycleguy wrote:
Sun Apr 26, 2020 6:48 pm
I want a Sage 5 or a Sage 5 Lightweight in a premium steel. Could be just about anything, but I'll shout out for Forest Green & 204P.

How about you?

CG
204p/m390/20cv in the lightweight i am down.
i also agree with sal also a spy27 with cobalt handle would be nice. no its not a para 3 lw the sage lw has liners.
192.168.0.1 -Para 3 G10 M390 Red, Dice XHP, Lil Native Rex 45 comp, Manix 2 M390 G10 BR, PM2 M390 DLC BL, PM2 k390 RGreen, Cat BD1N, Dragonfly 2 k390
Saving for - Lil Native K390, D'allara 3, UTX-70
Instruments- Kimber EVO, SA Hellcat, SW Shield Plus 9
ugaarguy

Post by ugaarguy »

Sal, the possibility of the Sage 5 LW joining the SPY27 and (I assume) cobalt blue handle lineup has me smiling. I'm hopeful. :)
SubMicron

Post by SubMicron »

I'd be really excited to see a Sage 5 or even LW in a premium steel.

Seeing as how it's the Sage 5, the first steel that comes to mind is CPM-S90V... maybe with smooth G10. That likely would be my first Sage 5.

I'm sure there's also broad market support for CPM-20CV.... it's just not as exciting as CPM-S90V

The next steel that comes to mind, seeing as how the Sage 5 uses a relatively thinner blade stock, is REX-45. Due to it's higher obtainable hardness, it can be thinner behind the edge, thereby making it pretty special in terms of sliciness and edge retention, while maintaining high overall durability. I dont know how I could ignore a variant like this, especially if it had micarta.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

sal wrote:
Hi Ugaarguy,

sal

Sal, that´s great news!!

I´ve said in not just one post that for me personally (!) the Sage 5 LW is a "better" (again, of course just for what I personally look for!) small compression lock knife than the Para 3, and that I don´t fully understand why all the variants are concentrated on the latter, but not its alternative (Sage 5 as a thinner bladed, differently shaped model or something along the lines of the Sage 5).

So I think it is a great and very wise decision to open up the "Sage 5 LW world" to different steels (and colors...)!
I really think there should be a large market for it: Many people love the compression lock, many people love the "smaller EDC " size of Sage, Delica, Para 3..., many people love a full finger choil, and with the Sage 5 LW line broadening up, all of those who are not necessarely into the Para 3 have a good alternative! Generally, and for trying new / different steels! :)