I want a Sage 5 in a premium steel!!!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.

Do you want a Sage 5 or Sage 5 Lightweight in a premium steel?

1) I want one too... YAY! :)
81%
2) Nope ... not my cup o' tea :(
19%

Total votes: 53

Wartstein

Re: I want a Sage 5 in a premium steel!!!

Post by Wartstein »

SubMicron wrote:
Mon Apr 27, 2020 11:05 pm
I'd be really excited to see a Sage 5 or even LW in a premium steel.

Seeing as how it's the Sage 5, the first steel that comes to mind is CPM-S90V... maybe with smooth G10. That likely would be my first Sage 5.

I'm sure there's also broad market support for CPM-20CV.... it's just not as exciting as CPM-S90V

The next steel that comes to mind, seeing as how the Sage 5 uses a relatively thinner blade stock, is REX-45. Due to it's higher obtainable hardness, it can be thinner behind the edge, thereby making it pretty special in terms of sliciness and edge retention, while maintaining high overall durability. I dont know how I could ignore a variant like this, especially if it had micarta.

It is not really thin imho (it has 3mm, which is Endura blade stock, and even very close to a Manix with its 3.2 mm, while Delica, Watu and let alone Chap are a lot thinner), but at least reasonably thin for a small folder. I would not even consider a small folder with a fatter blade, but the Sage 5 has the perfect thickness for a rather robust, but still somewhat slicey option.

A real tool steel like the REX 45 you mentioned is something I´d really like to try in the Sage 5 platform! :)
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

wrdwrght wrote:
Mon Apr 27, 2020 9:36 am
I echo Larry.

And I’ll go a step farther.

Many newer (than me) and more active (than me) people here seem less interested in what has motivated the Glessers in their design-decisions and, so, second-guess these decisions with selfish change-requests, sometimes even before an announced model materializes.

This disrespectful clamoring also finds its way into Sal’s bombshell thread where, now, irrelevant personal exchanges have ruined a once-useful signal-to-noise ratio.
I've definitely shared my own selfish change requests, and I hope that the the Glessers, as well as my fellow forumites, can see they're made in good faith. In a forum where the fine folks of Spyderco are actively looking for feedback about potential popularity, I feel the need to speak up for what I want to see. After all: if not I then, who?

On another note, I remember when the Sage was introduced! My favorite is still the Sage 2, with the Titanium R.I.L. Is seems to me, with Spyderco investing in the FRN molds for a LW model, that the Sage 5 may be here to stay for awhile. If that's the case, I don't see a problem with a sprint or exclusive featuring a different steel. I like S30V well enough, but why not stick some M390 in there?

After all, the more Sages that Spyderco sells the more money is donated to the National Alzheimer's Association!
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
Larry_Mott

Post by Larry_Mott »

sal wrote:
Mon Apr 27, 2020 9:00 pm
Hi Ugaarguy,

Actually I have to admit that the functional side of my values took over and I came to the same conclusion that you mentioned. The design works well for a larger percentage of the market and we decided that an FRN model could take on a spirit of its own, as an EDC and not just part of a collection.

Now we can be open to variation, which I'm all for. Give me a Sage 5 FRN model with Mxxamet, Cruwear, K390 or CPM-SPY27, a subtle color and I'm smiing. :)

sal
Well, that's all well and dandy, as long as we'll see more Sages following the original concept please :)
While variation is great and all i'd hate for the Sage too to become another "50 shades of Para***" with the launch hysteria and flipper's galore that follows.
"Life is fragile - we should take better care of each other, and ourselves - every day!"
//Eva Mott 1941 - 2019. R.I.P.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Larry_Mott wrote:
Tue Apr 28, 2020 2:22 am
sal wrote:
Hi Ugaarguy,

Actually I have to admit that the functional side of my values took over and I came to the same conclusion that you mentioned. The design works well for a larger percentage of the market and we decided that an FRN model could take on a spirit of its own, as an EDC and not just part of a collection.

Now we can be open to variation, which I'm all for. Give me a Sage 5 FRN model with Mxxamet, Cruwear, K390 or CPM-SPY27, a subtle color and I'm smiing. :)

sal
Well, that's all well and dandy, as long as we'll see more Sages following the original concept please :)
While variation is great and all i'd hate for the Sage too to become another "50 shades of Para***" with the launch hysteria and flipper's galore that follows.

Right, but if the NEXT planned "20 shades" will go to the Sage LW and not once more the Para 3, that would be a good thing imho... :D

/ And as far as I understand it: The Sage 5 lightweight is planned to be a model somewhat outside the general Sage concept... like a different model, that will get (steel) variants, while the NON lightweight Sage line will continue displaying various lock types - ?!
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

Also, the fact that the sage 5 LW has liners means that it's easier to make aftermarket scales. Steel variation and scale variation will be a lot of fun!
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

curlyhairedboy wrote:
Tue Apr 28, 2020 3:31 am
Also, the fact that the sage 5 LW has liners means that it's easier to make aftermarket scales. Steel variation and scale variation will be a lot of fun!
That´s true!
I also really love the way its handle is shaped: For me in a (behind the choil) rather short handle it is crucial that they make perfect use of the overall remaining length. The Sage does that perfectly (just like the Chap): The part on the lower side of the handle, where the fingers land, is made as long as possible with no "hook" at the end of the handle, so there is as much space as possible for the fingers. Just very thoughtfully designed as a small folder!

Larry_Mott

Post by Larry_Mott »

Wartstein wrote:
Tue Apr 28, 2020 3:00 am
Larry_Mott wrote:
sal wrote:
Hi Ugaarguy,

sal

Right, but if the NEXT planned "20 shades" will go to the Sage LW and not once more the Para 3, that would be a good thing imho... :D

/ And as far as I understand it: The Sage 5 lightweight is planned to be a model somewhat outside the general Sage concept... like a different model, that will get (steel) variants, while the NON lightweight Sage line will continue displaying various lock types - ?!
You don't realistically expect them to kill the cow that gives the most milk in the whole stable do you? :)
To be perfectly honest i think it annoys me in that i want the whole, current and upcoming Sages, as a concept series, but i will be damned if i "am forced" to buy 20 different variants just to have all the Sages.
"Life is fragile - we should take better care of each other, and ourselves - every day!"
//Eva Mott 1941 - 2019. R.I.P.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Larry_Mott wrote:
Tue Apr 28, 2020 4:06 am
Wartstein wrote:
Tue Apr 28, 2020 3:00 am
Larry_Mott wrote:
sal wrote:

You don't realistically expect them to kill the cow that gives the most milk in the whole stable do you? :)
To be perfectly honest i think it annoys me in that i want the whole, current and upcoming Sages, as a concept series, but i will be damned if i "am forced" to buy 20 different variants just to have all the Sages.

Well, that depends on if a) the milk comes in so many flavors cause the cow gives so much milk or b) the cow gives so much milk since the milk comes in so many flavors... ;)
I guess I am not the only one who feels that the Para 3 is really cool, but partly by being a baby PM2, but the Sage 5 makes "more sense" for me in some aspects as a small knife...
So it remains to be seen how much milk the Sage-cow really can give if it gets the same attention and variants as the Para 3 cow...;)

/ But I get your upcoming "problem"... ;). Unlikely though that the Sage 5 will get the unbelievably many variants of the Para 3 I guess...
Enactive

Post by Enactive »

If we take a look at the steels that we know the Taichung plant is familiar with, I find 4V to be one of the more intriguing possibilities...

I would be very interested in a Sage 5 FRN in uncoated 4V! :cool:
Gamecock

Post by Gamecock »

I’d really like one in M390/S20V or better yet LC200N...I’d like it with Garnet (sold as red) FRN Scales. I like the Sage so much better than my Para 3LW, that getting one in Garnet would let me get rid of the Para 3...can’t do it now because I carry it when the Gamecocks play for good luck. It’s a solid knife, the Sage is just much better.
ugaarguy

Post by ugaarguy »

Gamecock wrote:
Tue Apr 28, 2020 6:54 pm
I’d really like one in M390/S20V or better yet LC200N...I’d like it with Garnet (sold as red) FRN Scales. I like the Sage so much better than my Para 3LW, that getting one in Garnet would let me get rid of the Para 3...can’t do it now because I carry it when the Gamecocks play for good luck. It’s a solid knife, the Sage is just much better.
So you're saying you want a Sage in Tide Crimson? :p
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

ugaarguy wrote:
Mon Apr 27, 2020 10:59 pm
Sal, the possibility of the Sage 5 LW joining the SPY27 and (I assume) cobalt blue handle lineup has me smiling. I'm hopeful. :)
Has me hopeful as well. I have the SPY27 Para 3 on pre-order but I swap it for a Sage 5 LW in a heartbeat. I have all the other Sage models but I've been holding of on buying the LW because I've been hoping for a different version.
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
Jmotley

Post by Jmotley »

The sage 5 LW has pretty much kicked everything out of my pocket for my daily work knife. I would LOVE a few variants. Olive green and K390 or Desert Tan and cruwear would be up there on my list.
samdasnake

Post by samdasnake »

I would also love to see some sage5 lw variants! I’d particularly like to see one in red or blue with SPY27 :)
JMM

Post by JMM »

[+1] (googolplex)

I am super excited at the prospect of this idea & I really hope it materializes -- the Sage5 LW is my personal favourite LW model Spyderco has ever made, and I can't possibly understate how amazing I think this could be as a platform for whatever this months current favourite steels or combos are (CruCarta) -- which if does well initially, it could be used to try out new steels or combos or scale colours/materials or whatever... I would think it wouldn't require expensive new molds or retooling... I can easily think of a dozen steel & scale combos that would be absolute must haves.... (my fingers are crossed!) :D ;) :)
cycleguy

Post by cycleguy »

Sounds positive. Hopefully we see Sprints and Dealer/Distributor Exclusives.

CG
So many knives - so little funds!!!
fliptide

Post by fliptide »

ugaarguy wrote:
Sun Apr 26, 2020 7:13 pm
I'd prefer that the Sage 2 be brought back with LC200N as a premium Salt model. But if someone did a Sage 5 in forest green G10 and 204P or 20CV, I'd have a hard time not buying

I am with you here. A salted lc200n version of the sage 2 (spydiechef treatment)....sign me up!