He-Man Military Lover's Club - Enlist Here

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Ankerson

Re: He-Man Military Lover's Club - Enlist Here

Post by Ankerson »

blues wrote:
Wed Apr 29, 2020 1:49 pm
Shazaaaamm!!! For me too. :D

Very much so for me too... :D :eek:
Pancake

Post by Pancake »

Yes sir, I want a Military sprint run! :D
In the pocket: Chaparral FRN, Native Chief, Police 4 K390, Pacific Salt SE, Manix 2 G10 REX45
Cambertree

Post by Cambertree »

JonLeBlanc wrote:
Mon Apr 27, 2020 5:27 pm
Hey Cambertree, I just saw this thread today lol. To Tim: everything Cambertree noted I would agree wholeheartedly with (and he knows a thing or two about edge bevels!) I'd say that the Millie is a perfect platform for 52100. As CTree pointed out it's got great toughness and edge stability, and I think that makes for a great hard use folder. It will patina naturally, but corrosion shouldn't be a problem with simple care. And yes it sharpens like a dream. Get one! I would also second that emotion for a K390 Military :cool:
Thanks Jon! It’s good to hear your thoughts on the 52100 Millie, as I know you have a lot of experience with that knife. :)

It’s interesting that a few of the members here who have a bunch of Millies in a wide variety of different steels still rate the 52100 version highly as a favourite user.

With the length of the blade, I reckon a combo edge 52100 version would be a pretty awesome configuration as well. :) :cool:
prndltech

Post by prndltech »

I love the military model, carried it as my only knife for a long time. I have bought and sold a ton. I will always have one or more... I think it would be cool to have one in Bd1n, , maybe spydercos own spy27? Or CPM 154.... though the regular s30v has served me well and s90v is great stuff... I’d like to see one in a “budget” steel or one that is easier to sharpen for those who don’t appreciate s30v
- Shannon

MNOSD 0006
Cycletroll

Post by Cycletroll »

blues wrote:
Wed Apr 29, 2020 1:49 pm
Shazaaaamm!!! For me too. :D
Well GOLLLYEEE!
blues

Post by blues »

"I'll do whatever it takes to get a new Military."
- Retired from the chase -
bearrowland

Post by bearrowland »

😂 Me too!
Barry

Bonne Journey!

For the word of God is living and powerful, and sharper than any two edged sword

Do what you can, where you are, with what you have! Theodore Roosevelt

MNOSD member 0032
amateur blacksmith

Post by amateur blacksmith »

CTS-XHP preferred here.
jdw

Post by jdw »

Another run of XHP with all of quality enhancements added since the first run would be pretty cool.
Do right always. It will give you satisfaction in life.
--Wovoka
JKOLLER

Post by JKOLLER »

I would love one in cpm154!
speedseeker

Post by speedseeker »

I'll take one.
Gsg9

Post by Gsg9 »

I think I have nine variations of them, not even sure, I need to search thru the boxes.
There's a Millie 2 Compression lock mentioning on the bombshell topic, well, if we live long enough :D
So I'd say no, if I live long enough I may see the Millie 2, so I'm not adding any sales into the original one.
Maximumsmoochy

Post by Maximumsmoochy »

Please sign me up for more Military. I have three, love them all and still hungry for more.
K390 is the talk of the town these days, S45VN with the diamond milled green scales completes the series, and M390 and/or Cruwear in the latest CQI configuration would certainly blow my skirt up.
Past: Dragonfly, Air, Rhino, Lil' Native, Techno 2, Caly Jr., Brouwer, Chap LW, Para3, N5, Watu, ‘Chef, Mantra 2, SSStretch, PM2, Smock, Shaman, Advocate, GB2, Kapara, Military, Bradley Bowie, Province

Present: P4 K390 FRN

Future: Para3 Cruwear (someday)

Regrets: Most of them
blues

Post by blues »

Maximumsmoochy wrote:
Mon May 04, 2020 12:35 pm
Please sign me up for more Military. I have three, love them all and still hungry for more.
K390 is the talk of the town these days, S45VN with the diamond milled green scales completes the series, and M390 and/or Cruwear in the latest CQI configuration would certainly blow my skirt up.
Okay, we aim to please all "He-Men" Military aficionados, in skirt or out, not that there's anything wrong with it. ;)

Philo Beddoe

Post by Philo Beddoe »

The Millie is and has been my favorite Spydie for a very long time..no matter what else Spyderco brings out I can't seem to like any thing else better..

Reality check on all these asks and wants..the 52100 Millie came out mid 2016 and took literally years to sell out.

The KW 204P Green and Ti/CFS90V Millie both sat for along time before they sold out as did the BHQ M4/Jade Millie..the BBS Blue/S90V is still in stock after 5 or 6 years.

Maybe part of the reason there hasn't been a sprint in what will soon be 4 years?
blues

Post by blues »

Philo Beddoe wrote:
Mon May 04, 2020 5:15 pm

Maybe part of the reason there hasn't been a sprint in what will soon be 4 years?
REX 45
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

When I joined up I was looking for a new Spyderco - settled on the bhq para 3. And I had days to decide before it sold out. The Rex 45 sprints sold quick, but not so quick I could get two of them. I only missed the millie b/c I didn’t know what I was missing. And then everything thereafter sold immediately!! Did the previous sprints go slower? Seems like things have only accelerated.
Pancake

Post by Pancake »

Woodpuppy wrote:
Mon May 04, 2020 7:52 pm
I only missed the millie b/c I didn’t know what I was missing.
It was my stupid luck that I only started with Spyderco and never realized that I need knife such as Millie. I could easily buy it here in Europe.......
But the last sprint run was in 2018........so maybe we could get one these days.
In the pocket: Chaparral FRN, Native Chief, Police 4 K390, Pacific Salt SE, Manix 2 G10 REX45
Maximumsmoochy

Post by Maximumsmoochy »

blues wrote:
Mon May 04, 2020 1:26 pm
Maximumsmoochy wrote:
Mon May 04, 2020 12:35 pm
Okay, we aim to please all "He-Men" Military aficionados, in skirt or out, not that there's anything wrong with it. ;)

The military we need, not the military we deserve?
Past: Dragonfly, Air, Rhino, Lil' Native, Techno 2, Caly Jr., Brouwer, Chap LW, Para3, N5, Watu, ‘Chef, Mantra 2, SSStretch, PM2, Smock, Shaman, Advocate, GB2, Kapara, Military, Bradley Bowie, Province

Present: P4 K390 FRN

Future: Para3 Cruwear (someday)

Regrets: Most of them
blues

Post by blues »

Since I think the Military should be a tough knife, and not just one capable of slicing, I've leaned toward hoping for 3V, 4V, or Cru-Wear to carry the day.

Given the results of Larrin and Shawn's testing, I think Cru-Wear may be the best choice for the combination of toughness, edge holding and corrosion resistance. Unless I'm missing the mark, no other steel in the test has the same balance of properties. Ease of sharpening is also a factor,

Of course, if you think a Military should simply be the best slicing knife, without regard for toughness, then you will obviously draw a different conclusion.

4V would probably be next in line in my view, though I still have a weakness for 3V due to having had a utility blade made of it by Ed Schott for many years.

In the end, any Military is a good Military, but those are my reasons for preferring to put toughness toward the front of the list of characteristics I'd want to see in such a knife.