Para 3 and Para 3 LW: Same Genus, Different Species

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
MichaelScott

Para 3 and Para 3 LW: Same Genus, Different Species

Post by MichaelScott »

After using both of these knives for some time I can say with confidence that although they look very much the same, they are very different. Looked at closely the only close similarities, perhaps identical features, are the blade shapes and compression locks. Everything else from clips to washers are different. Now, I am not saying this is either a good or bad thing, merely that the differences are enough to constitute them as more than just the Para 3 and its lightweight kin. The differences between the Para 3 and the Para 3 LW are much greater than those between the Para 3 and Para Military 2. Watch Eric’s disassembly video of the LW model for specific details.

I was taken in by the superficial similarities of the two —the blade shape, overall general handle shape and proportions and compression lock. After many Spydercos had passed through my hands and having had to sell them and most of my slip joint accumulation I recently have been able to buy a limited number of knives for daily use. After having had a Para 3 on loan from Sharp Guy last year, I knew that my first purchase would be one of those. It is now broken in and showing some some use marks.

Now, what’s next? I asked myself. Hmmm…how about a Para 3 LW? One came and as expected the quality was very high. It was a bit tight, but use and time took care of that. However, it quickly became apparent that this was not a Para 3, similarities aside. Opening and closing have a much different feel and require a slightly modified technique. The handle, close your eyes and it might well be a somewhat fatter Delica but for the finger choil. And the wire clip, of course. Being so light weight it does not have the heft and balance of the G10 Para 3s.

Many people like the new Spyderco lightweight philosophy and designs. I thought I would, but after having both the Chaparral FRN and a Para 3 LW, I can say that this trend in re-engineering popular models to produce their lightweight cousins, even though the knives themselves are superbly made and lower in cost are less satisfying to me than their originals.

You may of course think differently but I thought I might pass this along for anyone considering a lightweight Spyderco.
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

http://acehotel.blog

Team Innovation
archangel

Re: Para 3 and Para 3 LW: Same Genus, Different Species

Post by archangel »

MichaelScott wrote:
Sun Apr 26, 2020 10:36 am
Many people like the new Spyderco lightweight philosophy and designs. I thought I would, but after having both the Chaparral FRN and a Para 3 LW, I can say that this trend in re-engineering popular models to produce their lightweight cousins, even though the knives themselves are superbly made and lower in cost are less satisfying to me than their originals.
^^ This, 100%. Thank God there are still people like you, and me. :)

I owned a Stretch and a N5 LW, sold them to buy G10 versions instead, and am at least 200% happier with the haptics (and looks!). Would not consider a Para3 or PM2 LW for me.
Michael
48 Spydies, 44 different models, 43 different steels
Grail knife, still to be acquired: original Tuff by Ed Schempp Feel free to help me find one at a reasonable price...
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

I’ll always choose frn over g10 in pretty much any model. I like the weight, the texture, I like how it feels in hand. I prefer frn over g10 in just about every way,. Chocolate and vanilla i guess.
Theldraskien

Post by Theldraskien »

Hey Lance, may I ask why the Waterway handle was done in G10 instead of FRN. Sorry in this has already been answered somewhere. I have a Waterway and I really like the balance. Just curious since you stated a preference for FRN.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Theldraskien wrote:
Sun Apr 26, 2020 11:38 am
Hey Lance, may I ask why the Waterway handle was done in G10 instead of FRN. Sorry in this has already been answered somewhere. I have a Waterway and I really like the balance. Just curious since you stated a preference for FRN.

FRN molds are very expensive to make and only pay off if a model sells well. I think many models first come in G10 to test the market.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Theldraskien

Post by Theldraskien »

Thanks Wartstein, I’ve heard that before about the FRN molds, that makes sense.
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

Wartstein got it. ^

My first choice for handle material on the Waterway was frn. I like the way the texture and material maintains its grip when wet and bloody. I must say though that I am very happy with the texture that Spyderco created for the g10 waterway. A heavier/deeper texture works much better when wet/slippery. That was the reason for using the coarser peel ply g10 on the Siren too.
Thunderpants

Post by Thunderpants »

I don't know if it's the European prices vs the US prices but I picked up a Para 3 LW Rex and I have to say in the hand it did not feel like great value for money. Effectively two bits of plastic with a few pieces of metal inside ... 100 euros more than an Urban K390 . I find it seriously overpriced for what it is. Yes I know the blade steel is special etc but it's not that special! Ironically this promted me to order a Kapara which looks like a whole lot of a better deal. We'll see.
p_atrick

Post by p_atrick »

archangel wrote:
Sun Apr 26, 2020 11:06 am
MichaelScott wrote:
^^ This, 100%. Thank God there are still people like you, and me. :)

I owned a Stretch and a N5 LW, sold them to buy G10 versions instead, and am at least 200% happier with the haptics (and looks!). Would not consider a Para3 or PM2 LW for me.
I was surprised when I came to this realization. FRN doesn't look pretty, but it is so practical.
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

I just looked up the prices on the para 3 in the USA. G10 version is $143 and FRN version is $95. Given that I love the way the frn performs and it is over 30% cheaper than the G10 version it looks like a better value to me, but again, that is somewhat subjective because of my preferences. It depends on how you quantify “value” i guess. If you are basing it on what you pay vs. what it costs Spyderco to make it then I would wager they are equal in value. Sal has often made a point of saying that they apply the same formula when pricing models which I take to mean that they take their production cost and add a certain percent so their margin is probably the same on both models. In other words, if the frn version is selling for 1/3 less then it’s probably 1/3 less expensive for them to produce.

At any rate, there will always be plenty of folks on both sides of the fence so we should all be happy that they offer so many models in both options. Personally I like both materials so I’m happy either way but more choices is always good.
RustyIron

Post by RustyIron »

MichaelScott wrote:
You may of course think differently but I thought I might pass this along for anyone considering a lightweight Spyderco.
Hey, Mike.
I enjoyed your thoughts on the Standard vs LW versions of the Para 3. As much as I'd like to have one, I don't, and probably never will. The compression lock on the LH PM2 is my favorite of all the Spyderco locks, but Para 3 isn't offered in a left handed version. So it goes.

My experience with full liner vs LW is with the Manix 2. I'll admit, the center of mass feels more "normal" with the full liner. But I really like the notion of the knife being lighter in my pocket. One of my Manix 2 LW's has been carried and used quite a bit, without any degradation of the handle finish or the functionality. Actually, I really like the bi-directional pattern on the LW FRCP. I think it's better than the G10. I also like the wire clip on the LW versions. On the Standard Heavyweight Fully Lined version, the action is a little nicer because I could take it apart and chop the spring. To summarize, I can't see any functional difference between the two.

I don't know if I'll ever be able to comment on long term durability of fully lined vs LW. I'll probably never wear one out. Consider guns. In my lifetime, the old timers were chanting that steel framed pistols were the only guns for real men, and aluminum was junk. Well, aluminum surpassed steel, and now composites have surpassed aluminum. But frankly, I've never worn out a gun that I bought new, regardless of the material. But there's no way I'd want to carry a steel framed pistol. Ugh. It's the same with cars. For decades, iron and steel were the king. Then aluminum engines came along. Now the most technologically advanced cars are made out of plastic--and they're safer and faster than ever before.

Are we in a golden age of materials design? I don't know. But we're certainly lucky to be living in a time when we can choose between G10, FRN, and FRCP, in addition to the old-school materials of years past.
Thunderpants

Post by Thunderpants »

The cheapest Para 3 here is 99 euros which is a heckuva lot more sensible than the 160 I paid for the Rex. That's probably the one I should have gone for as my first foray into the world of Para 3s but I am a sucker for that burnt orange... (interestingly it's a slightly different shade than my Hap40 Meerkat, one of my absolute keepers.)
Most if not all my favourite Spydies use FRN - so I don't have a problem with that as a handle material. It's just that once you get past 150 euros or so, you realise you could be getting some incredibly beautiful knives for the same money, from terrific knife makers in Italy etc, and FRN begins to lose its charm. Looking forward to my Kapara which should land in the letter box tomorrow!
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

I've come to realize I'll never buy a model in frn if G10 is available. Gave the Native LW a "try" but just couldn't put it in my pocket. Feels too cheap.

Also glad I didn't let my dislike for frn steer me away from the Manix in the beginning of my Spyderco journey. I originally bought the LW for camping as my 2nd Spyderco and thought it felt cheap and slick, but did like the ergos of the knife. I now have 5 G10/ custom scale Manix's and it's easily my favorite do it all model to date.
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Sun Apr 26, 2020 1:41 pm
I've come to realize I'll never buy a model in frn if G10 is available. Gave the Native LW a "try" but just couldn't put it in my pocket. Feels too cheap.

Also glad I didn't let my dislike for frn steer me away from the Manix in the beginning of my Spyderco journey. I originally bought the LW for camping as my 2nd Spyderco and thought it felt cheap and slick, but did like the ergos of the knife. I now have 5 G10/ custom scale Manix's and it's easily my favorite do it all model to date.
Rick, I had a feeling the native lw wouldn't be for you. Personally I think the g10 versions feel like different knives entirely, and I definitely prefer the g10 over the frn models (although you know I like seki frn models quite a bit).
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

I appreciate that the Para 3 LW is less expensive, lighter weight, and almost as good as the G10 Para 3. On my Rex45 example, the opening action is great, but it still does not drop closed after a month of use. Something about it is a bit less comfortable than the G10; if I fidget too much, my finger gets sore quicker. Maybe it's the stiffer compression lock? Not so much a design flaw, though.

I do appreciate the deep-carry wire clip for slacks or chinos, anything with slash pockets; I prefer the standard spoon clip for jeans/patch pockets.

There's enough to differentiate the two of them that I like carrying one or the other depending on the day or what I'm wearing, so I'm a fan. I may end up picking up a send, all-black Para 3 LW at some point; those look real neat.

I especially like my Micarta-scaled Para 3. It has the heft and balance of a G10 Para 3, with a warmer, organic feel.
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

it’s interesting how so many cite the native as an example here. the native lw is probably the one knife where i prefer frn to lined g10. in my mind, the g10 natives are so handle heavy that the balance feels weird and wrong to me. my native salt is very comfortable and has a much better balance in hand.
i also really like my manix 2 lw. i would prefer it if it didn’t have pins, but nothing is perfect. i do also love the g10 manix though, and would possibly prefer it to the lw.
of course, frn versions that are not available in g10, like the salt models are good to go too.
generally speaking though, i prefer g10.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C36MCW2, C258YL, C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
H2, CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

I assume that in this context lightweight = FRN/FRCP, right? (Though not necessarely linerless: The Endura familiy members for example are rather light despite having linered FRN handles)

Personally I clearly prefer FRN over G10. Textured FRN is grippier for me, while still being less of a pocket shredder. FRN knives often times come contoured, G10 Spydies almost never. (though they are easier to mod / contoured by the knife owner I figure) As far as I know (could be wrong though) FRN is, though lighter, even a bit stronger /more durable than G10, except maybe in very low temperatures (though G10 still is way strong enough, no doubt).

Lighter weight does not always play a huge role for me, but when I am mountaineering or hiking a lighter knife is definitely a plus. And still strong enough (obviously the linerless FRN Pac Salt is really not babied by many of its owners and holds up well to use and abuse).

As for the Para 3 G10 vs LW: If I had to get one it would clearly be the lightweight, no doubt (but still it would sit in the drawer and I´d carry a both linered and still a bit lighter Delica in that size category.. ;) )
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

Once again, lots of personal preference with these knives. Glad Spyderco gives us so many options. LW, G10 or something in between....I like 'em all! Glad I'm not picky!
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Sharp Guy wrote:
Sun Apr 26, 2020 2:42 pm
Once again, lots of personal preference with these knives. Glad Spyderco gives us so many options. LW, G10 or something in between....I like 'em all! Glad I'm not picky!

Wise words!
In my case the models I like the most happen to come in FRN anyway (which I prefer over G10) - but if Endura and Stretch 1 only came in G10, they would STILL be my favorites..
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

The preference of materials and models is so vast and different, which really is props to Spyderco for making all of the models available and popular. Definitely not amateurs in this game!!

I really do enjoy reading everyone's reasons for their preferences, especially those I know that have/had a particular model in different configurations. Funny how similar, or different we all are. Some people would love my collection of knives, others wouldn't want to use any of them :p
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick