Need some help

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
IRxKRONIC

Need some help

Post by IRxKRONIC »

Ok Im trying to do some random notches on top of my thumb hole what would be the best file to use did the first with my Chainsaw file but it died after the one got the VG-10 steel ?
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Re: Need some help

Post by Doc Dan »

Post a picture so we can see what you are trying to do.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
IRxKRONIC

Post by IRxKRONIC »

I'll try but not to smart at tech stuff have to get the wifi to do it for me.But all im doing is a round file groove on either side kinda like a zig zag patern did the back locking bar yesterday but the VG10 is some tough steel just killed the chainsaw file no time managed to get two grooves in that looks really good and thinking about going all the way down the spine of the blade if I can

.\/\/\/\/\/\/\. but picture the lines round
standy99

Post by standy99 »

Try a Dremel

Dremel 932 Aluminium Oxide Grinding Stone
EFBC6CEE-BA81-4EF5-BAC4-43394AACFD83.jpeg
EFBC6CEE-BA81-4EF5-BAC4-43394AACFD83.jpeg (5.02 KiB) Viewed 662 times

The Dremel 932 Aluminium Oxide Grinding Stone is a high-quality industrial abrasive made for extended general-purpose grinding on metals, castings, welded joints, rivets and rust.
Im a vegetarian as technically cows are made of grass and water.
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

Dremel reinforced cutting wheels, or diamond bits. Everything else is pretty much useless. Diamond hand files are good too.
- best wishes, Jazz.
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

Jazz wrote:
Sun Apr 26, 2020 7:22 am
Dremel reinforced cutting wheels, or diamond bits. Everything else is pretty much useless. Diamond hand files are good too.
Good info! Cut-off wheels would probably be my choice for small notches on the edge of the hole. I also have diamond burs from the dental industry that come in various shapes. Might work well too
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
IRxKRONIC

Post by IRxKRONIC »

Thanks everyone for the info I was already on that path got all the rough cutting done today just got to do the polish next ill try and get some pics of it as soon as I can but really liking the way these rough cuts look might just sand down the edges a bit and keep it raw looking and I also got the locking bar done to And is it possible to get a force patina on VG-10? Would really like to do that for the finish