Unbelievable lost and found story. Purchased in 1989, Lost in 1995, showed up in my mailbox in 2020.

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
soulspy

Re: Unbelievable lost and found story. Purchased in 1989, Lost in 1995, showed up in my mailbox in 2020.

Post by soulspy »

sal wrote:
Fri Apr 24, 2020 11:44 am
soulspy wrote:
Fri Apr 24, 2020 8:32 am
I guess there's hope for the Spyderco Rescue that I lost in 1994.
Hi Soulspy,

In 1982, I was helping to dig out stuck cars in the snow. It was in May 1982 and we had a late snowstorm that really stuck a lot of cars in my area.(10,000' altitude) I had the prototype of the serrated Mariner in my pocket. This was what ultimately became the the Rescue. I spent a great deal of time under cars and hooking up chains that I realized when I got home, the knife was gone and we had 3 feet of show on the ground.

I had to leave for a Fair we were working the next morning and would be gone for 2 weeks.

When I got back, there was still quite a bit of snow on the ground. I went back every day after work and looked for the knife. About the 5th day, the snow had melted enough that I could see the tip of the handle sticking out of the snow. A really good moment in my life.

sal
Thanks for that Sal. I also knew where I lost mine and went back the same night. But I could never find it. My friends and I were all into river boating and other whitewater adventures so we all carried rescues. Great little knives. VG-10 seemed immune to rust despite constant soakings and no special treatment at all.
vaisforlovers

Re: Unbelievable lost and found story. Purchased in 1989, Lost in 1995, showed up in my mailbox in 2020.

Post by vaisforlovers »

ceese,

Thank you for that very well written, and very good story.

I too have lost a knife with sentimental value. It too thankfully found me again. I can empathize and relate.

I am happy for you and appreciate you sharing!
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

Great Stories!!!

I once had a Sog Pentagon with the Hoffritz log. I was quite annoyed at that and almost didn’t buy it because of it. It was a fun knife for a teenager. Sold it on who knows which forum years ago.

I sold my first Spyderco, a Worker model on the forums also. I should’ve kept that one. I think I still have the receipt from the Remington store in the mall. Ah well.

I lost a Benchmade 525 for over a year; I looked everywhere, bugged coworkers, scoured the gravel lot where we’d been working on a 370 Lima truck engine. No luck. So grudgingly I bought a direct replacement. Over a year later, I had scrounged an office chair out of surplus property that closely matched my current chair; I got down on hands and knees to be able to see the adjustment levers and tell what they did so I could set up the 2nd chair to match my old one. When lo do mine eyes deceive me, there’s a pocket knife resting on the support for the back of the chair! Covered in dust and who knows what... it was my old knife! I was SO happy about that! I don’t lose things. I just don’t. Guess I’m a little like Rosie the robot, a place for everything and everything in its place! Sold the replacement and cleaned up my original. That knife was my primary carry from the point when it was released until June 2018 when I bought my first Spyderco since 1998 - the BHQ Para3 in satin CPM-M4. Well I still have the BM, but Spyderco is where it’s at for me once again!

The only other knife I have ever lost was the Spyderco Q with the bug logo. My college girlfriend had “claimed” it and she lost it in the dining room at Guthrie’s in Tallahassee, FL. So if ya found one back in ‘96 or ‘97 or so..... let me know :D
Superflex

Post by Superflex »

Great story and recovery.
I especially liked the Cincy references to the Diner on Sycamore and Bogarts.
Some of the best concerts I saw in the 80's and 90's were at Bogarts.
Especially liked the Afghan Whigs every new years eve.
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Superflex,

Welcome to our forum.

sal
Superflex

Post by Superflex »

Thank you Sal.
Glad to be here
The Spydie bug has bitten me hard this year.
You're welcome :)