Manix Ball cage

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
gull wing

Manix Ball cage

Post by gull wing »

I have an older translucent blue, peened model.
The clear plastic cage broke.
IS THERE A FIX?
Now I know Flytanium makes a brass, copper, and titanium replacement.

Short of drilling out the peened pins I see no solution. Help!

I've drilled peened knives before with good results.
SCARAMOUCHE! :bug-red-white
ladybug93

Re: Manix Ball cage

Post by ladybug93 »

your best bet is probably sending it to spyderco for repair. however, i have seen some conversions on this knife to have screws instead of pins. i even saw one person that replace the frcp on his lightweight for g10 scales. i can't speak to the degree of difficulty or success of those conversions though.

edited to add: i wish spyderco would stop making the manix lw with pins. it's pretty much perfect otherwise.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Since you have the lightweight model there isn't much you can do on your own unless you want to drill out the pins and deal with finding screws to replace them. It's a warranty issue, send it back to Golden.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
gull wing

Post by gull wing »

Thought so!
Thanks.
SCARAMOUCHE! :bug-red-white
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

Send it back. It's still in production so I'd bet they'll just send you a new one. Although you'll probably get BD1n instead of BD1.

This is the first time I've ever heard of a cage breaking. Does anyone else know of any other cases?
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

Apparently some early runs of the clear cage would break. Spyderco fixed this problem.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

I would just warranty it. I am a tinkerer but that isn’t an entry level fix.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

TomAiello wrote:
Fri Apr 24, 2020 9:17 am
Send it back. It's still in production so I'd bet they'll just send you a new one. Although you'll probably get BD1n instead of BD1.

This is the first time I've ever heard of a cage breaking. Does anyone else know of any other cases?

Me too. I was not nice to the LW I had, no problems at all...
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
zhyla

Post by zhyla »

Grinding the pins down and disassembling is easy. Replacement with a metal cage is then straight forward. It's the re-assembly I'm not so sure about. It would be nice if there were fasteners that could replace the pins but I think you really need to get new pins and crush them in place. Not something I would attempt.
razorburn

Post by razorburn »

Like others have said it's best to return it to spyderco under warranty.You will probably get one of the new CTS-BD1N knives.Another is the LW construction doesn't make installing a set of flytanium scales possible.