Let's talk pocket wear...

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
eRoc

Re: Let's talk pocket wear...

Post by eRoc »

Lately I've been trying this new thing while in quarantine where I just gain weight and my pants don't fit me anymore. Problem solved?
SaltySalt

Post by SaltySalt »

sal wrote:
Wed Apr 22, 2020 3:06 pm
Hi SaltySalt,

Welcome to our forum.

sal
Thank You, Sal!
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I've had good luck with folding an iron on patch over the lip of the pocket and iron it on. If it doesn't hold you can sew it. I tend to wear Dickies more than jeans these days and they seem to hold up way better than denim.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Rinzler

Post by Rinzler »

I've read of some people sewing nylon webbing over the pocket
clip area. They use similar or matching webbing and high strength thread.
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

Mike Blue wrote:
Wed Apr 22, 2020 1:12 pm
Also Duluth Trading Co. They have some casual lines that have an extra piece of material at the clip point on some pockets.
Do you have a link, Mike? I just searched their site and couldn't find and example.
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
Monty

Post by Monty »

If you dislike pocket wear don't get an Emerson wave.
Mike Blue

Post by Mike Blue »

sal

Post by sal »

Hi Autoxer,

Welcome to our forum.

sal
autoxer

Post by autoxer »

Thanks for the welcome message Sal!!

I have now made and tested my idea. Not on a pocket, because I don't have the needed thread yet, but with a pair of running shorts. I tested it on a trail run and it worked really well.

Are people interested enough in this to see some photos of my prototype?
kodai78
Location: “Beam me up Scotty, there’s no intelligent life down here.”

Post by kodai78 »

sal wrote:
Wed Apr 22, 2020 11:41 am
My first thought is a thin leather flap that would fold over and fasten to the part of the pocket normally clipped to. It has to withstand washing. Could be a useful aftermarket accessory? It mist be thin enough not to make clipping difficult.

sal
If that piece of leather were held tightly in place by magnets? That would keep it in place against the friction from the clip going in and out of the pocket. You could move it from one pair of pants to another. Probably people would buy a couple in different leathers.
:spyder: Shaman REX 45, Smock, Baby Jess Horn CE, Spydiechef, Schempp Bowie,Ti Fluted Military, Titanium Military, Native S30 V and G10, PM 2 in S35VN, and S110V, Manix 2 LW BD1 and SPY 27, Sage 5, Positron black CPM S30V, Chaparral w/Raffir Noble scales, SuperLeaf VG 10, Ladybug H1, Dragonfly 2 in ZDP 189 and Superblue/420J1 and H1, Delica in ZDP 189, Clipitool Standard, the Cook’s knife VG10, Santoku, paring and utility knives, all in MBS 26. :spyder:
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

Ah, my mistake was not looking at the Hardwear. Thanks!
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
Mattysc42

Post by Mattysc42 »

I stopped using clips on knives that don’t have flippers. Most knives are more comfortable in use without a clip anyways. The only knives I currently own that I use clips on are my Kizer Gemini, and Massdrop Keen, both Ray Laconico designs.
BRING ON THE MANIX XL SPRINTS AND EXCLUSIVES! And 10v or K390ify the Golden lineup, please.

Top 5 folders I’ve owned: Serrated Caribbean Leaf, Shaman, Manix XL, ZDP-189/CF Caly 3.5, Native LW.
Top 5 steels I’ve owned: LC200N, K390, CPM S90V, M390, CPM REX45.
Top 3 steels I want more of: M390 class, A11 class (including K390), CPM REX45.
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

I’ve yet to have any Spyderco shred my pockets; the Benchmade 520 & 525 with the aggressive texture anodizing on the aluminum scales were devastating to pants though; and not just at the pocket top. Since I tend to carry my primary folder in my back pocket, the bottom of the knife in the pocket would also wear through the fabric. I had one pair so bad the bottom tip of the knife just hung out of the hole, and the top of the pocket was eroded down by a 1/2 inch or so.
bearrowland

Post by bearrowland »

Sumdumguy wrote:
Wed Apr 22, 2020 1:02 pm
sal wrote:
My first thought is a thin leather flap that would fold over and fasten to the part of the pocket normally clipped to. It has to withstand washing. Could be a useful aftermarket accessory? It mist be thin enough not to make clipping difficult.

sal
You nerds and your pocket protectors!

:p
I was thinking that too! Hey, if it works 😂.
Barry

Bonne Journey!

For the word of God is living and powerful, and sharper than any two edged sword

Do what you can, where you are, with what you have! Theodore Roosevelt

MNOSD member 0032
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

autoxer wrote:
Wed Apr 22, 2020 7:10 pm
Thanks for the welcome message Sal!!

I have now made and tested my idea. Not on a pocket, because I don't have the needed thread yet, but with a pair of running shorts. I tested it on a trail run and it worked really well.

Are people interested enough in this to see some photos of my prototype?
I'd like to see it, for sure!
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.
toxophilus

Post by toxophilus »

kennethsime wrote:
Wed Apr 22, 2020 12:29 pm
sal wrote:

sal
Wrangler's Riggs line of work pants have just such a flap straight from the factory. I like my Carhartts, but many friends swear by these guys.
+1 These are the ones that I typically wear, the leather pocket reinforcement feature really helps!

Last edited by toxophilus on Fri Apr 24, 2020 9:41 am, edited 2 times in total.
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

Everyone is different but this is the wear I experience. I usually push my knife far back into my pocket.

autoxer

Post by autoxer »

JuPaul wrote:
Thu Apr 23, 2020 7:26 am
I'd like to see it, for sure!

This is the first super-quick prototype in my running shorts.

Here's a view showing the knife clipped in the normal mode, the hidden-high mode, and the hidden-low mode:

And here's what the prototype looks like on the inside of my shorts:

I realize that this doesn't help at all with the pocket edge wear problem if you want to keep the clip in the "normal" mode, with the clip riding on the outside of your pants, so I might still try another prototype with some jeans today that could solve that problem and still use some of these same ideas.

I think it depends on whether you want the extra piece visible on your pocket. Many people might not care about that at all, and others may never want to add something like that to their pants.

Still, this works pretty well if you want to hide the clip. This was just a quick attempt, so I'm hoping the next version will be a little more polished.

I am open to trying more ideas in the next prototype if anyone has any more thoughts to add!
spyderg

Post by spyderg »

I typically wear my jeans out as fast as the pocket wears. If I get more than 6 months out of a pair of jeans I’m happy. But the odd time I get premature pocket wear, I use an iron on patch folded over the damage.
If you're wielding the sharpest tool in the shed, who's going to say that you aren't...?
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

I am a blue collar schmo and a bit of an outdoorsman. My knives wear out my pockets about as fast as I wear the rest of the pants out. I have bought many expensive pairs of pants. Some had knife pockets or reinforced pocket seems. From rip stop tactical cargos to Deluth and Carhartt I can kill them all. In the end I usually just wear Dickies canvas pants. They are $25 dollars and they just get thrashed like the rest.

-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?