Endura.... Why did I wait so long

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
crazywednesday

Endura.... Why did I wait so long

Post by crazywednesday »

Recently picked up a FFG hap40 lam used. I thought I was a choil loving PM2 Manix freak, guess I was wrong. This thing wont leave my pocket. Im thinking the warnie SE is in my future. What am I to do with all my PM2 Manix P4 users? I guess im just pretty surprised that one of the classics has won my heart. I should have known better. Its a classic for a reason. (still not getting rid of the P4 K390)
Justin
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Re: Endura.... Why did I wait so long

Post by Doc Dan »

I like the Endura far better than the PM2, far, far better. I have to take down that center finger hump a bit, but otherwise it is a great design.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
crazywednesday

Post by crazywednesday »

Doc Dan wrote:
Mon Apr 20, 2020 11:06 pm
I like the Endura far better than the PM2, far, far better. I have to take down that center finger hump a bit, but otherwise it is a great design.
I can see that. Unless Im choked up its in the middle of my finger.
Justin
Thunderpants

Post by Thunderpants »

I bought the V-Toku as my first Endura and immediately sold it... I thought I wouldn't like it and I didn't!
Just too long and murdery as Shabazz would say.
PeaceInOurTime

Post by PeaceInOurTime »

The more I use the Endura, the more I like it. I wish the handle was more neutral for the people whose hand ergos don't match it, but it's plenty comfortable for me, as is. Big fan of the Endura!

DutchBlades

Post by DutchBlades »

The Endura was my first Spydie and it's what got me hooked on the brand.
Great knives and the ergo's are spot on for me :)
I don't own a wharncliffe one yet, but it might join the Endura family soon!
A tiger has claws.
A wolf has teeth.
An eagle has talons.
We, have Spyderco.

Grails: Abalone Mini Mariner, Ti ATR, WTC, Ti Lum Tanto
Cycletroll

Post by Cycletroll »

Endura is one of if not the favorite of my daily users. In fact an SG2 variant is riding tip down in my back pocket right now. I have more Enduras than any other model and would probably choose it as a sole model if forced to do so. I was just laughing at myself last night noting how much more frequently I carry the humble Endura over much more expensive knives.
JustinB

Post by JustinB »

The Endura is definitely a classic for a reason. It is probably my go to spydie
Justin :spyder:
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

crazywednesday wrote:
Mon Apr 20, 2020 10:52 pm
Recently picked up a FFG hap40 lam used. I thought I was a choil loving PM2 Manix freak, guess I was wrong. This thing wont leave my pocket. Im thinking the warnie SE is in my future. What am I to do with all my PM2 Manix P4 users? I guess im just pretty surprised that one of the classics has won my heart. I should have known better. Its a classic for a reason. (still not getting rid of the P4 K390)

Don´t know either why you did wait so long... ;)

And in HAP 40!! Just a perfect choice imho! :)

For me personally the Endura probably is the best all around (in the sense of "ready for a wide variety of tasks") EDC folder I am aware of. Light and slim in pocket, for my L to XL hands perfect ergos (though some others don´t like the placement of the finger grooves), and first and foremost an edge length that is just right for any task (including food prep, where sometimes a longer edge comes in really handy, starting with simple things like slicing a loaf of bread).
It places my hand close to the edge in a regular grip, and I actually like to choke up on the Ricasso better than on some choils if I want to get even closer.
It has a reasonable thin, but still strong blade stock, and I find the reenforced tip confidence inspiring while it is still pointy enough.
There are certainly even better knives for more special needs (if I´d work in a warehouse I´d prefer a Manix or Delica wharnie), but as said if it comes to an all around folder you put in your pocket not knowing which cutting tasks the day may bring: The Endura is hard to beat imho.
Only thing I´d really, really wish for: The regular (so not only the wharnie Endura) in ffg SE (or alternatively a Pacific Salt 2 SE in ffg (and then probably LC 200N))

Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
ThomC

Post by ThomC »

Ngl, the first Spyderco I was attracted to was the Endura 4 along with the PM2. Picked up a CE Endura 4, but ended up sending it back because it didn't work for me.
A few weeks ago, I was looking for my first SE Spydie and turned to the wharnie Endura. Got a PE by accident on delivery, toyed with it, and now I can't wait to get what I ordered ! The ergos are really good for my hand, the longer handle is really comfortable.
I can see it kicking the PM2 out of my pocket.
European amateur knife enthusiast
Hikes and outdoors galore
🏍️Motorcycle enthusiast
In the knoife box : M4 Millie, Spyderco Perrin Street Bowie, TOPS Tanimboca
In the future : CE/SE/Rex45/MagnaCut Millie, K2, Slysz Bowie, linerlock Sage
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

ThomC wrote:
Tue Apr 21, 2020 11:38 am
Ngl, the first Spyderco I was attracted to was the Endura 4 along with the PM2. Picked up a CE Endura 4, but ended up sending it back because it didn't work for me.
A few weeks ago, I was looking for my first SE Spydie and turned to the wharnie Endura. Got a PE by accident on delivery, toyed with it, and now I can't wait to get what I ordered ! The ergos are really good for my hand, the longer handle is really comfortable.
I can see it kicking the PM2 out of my pocket.

Glad you came back to the Endura! :) For me personally it is meant to be ffg, and not sabre grind like your CE Endura 4 was.

Don´t get me wrong, I had the exact same model too (CE and sabre grind) and it is a cool knife. But in THAT size a sabre grind blade just feels a bit heavy and the knife less well balanced than the ffg Endura.
More importantly, my personal opinion is: A thick/sabre grind/less slicey/strong tip/"hard use" blade is better suited for small to medium folders, while long folders (Endura and bigger) lend themselves more towards slicing (and the ffg Endura is still strong enough anyway imho). So I totally like the sabre grind CE Delica as a specialized hard use, don´t-take-care-at-all knife, maybe even the Endela would still work for me in sabre grind, but not so the long, elegant cutter Endura.
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Cycletroll

Post by Cycletroll »

I have half a dozen FFG Enduras I EDC. My lone CE Sabre grind is what I carry on duty at the Fire Dept. Its extra thickness at the tip helps with prying and the serrations are killer for cutting rope and seatbelts.
zuludelta

Post by zuludelta »

I love the Endura (I've owned the CE version for a while now and eventually want to get one in PE when my budget allows). It's not the outstanding value these days as it was before—what with the recent price increases adding to the "Seki City Surcharge"—but I think it's still one of the best big folders one can get price notwithstanding, not just from Spyderco, but across the industry. Beefy, but still very carryable and relatively light, equipped with a balanced blade steel (though I wouldn't mind a shift from VG-10 to CTS-BD1N), it's just a great workhorse of a folding knife. It's the first model I recommend to anyone looking for a folding knife in the 3.5"+ blade length range.
prndltech

Post by prndltech »

Cycletroll wrote:
Tue Apr 21, 2020 12:52 pm
I have half a dozen FFG Enduras I EDC. My lone CE Sabre grind is what I carry on duty at the Fire Dept. Its extra thickness at the tip helps with prying and the serrations are killer for cutting rope and seatbelts.
As time has gone on, I have a new appreciation for CE blades, or so I think. They actually make sense for my work knives. The 1-1.5”+ towards the tip is used for opening stuff, delicate work, scraping, stuff like that and the back half I almost never use anyways, I decided would be nice to have stay razor sharp with serrations for cutting rope, fibrous things, belts, etc.

After years of dismissing CE knives and preferring plain edge or full serrated blades, I’ve decided to give the combo edge a try as my use, knowledge and sharpening abilities have all increased.

Wartstein, I agree with you in that the longer thinner blades make sense on the Endura for a slicer and my full SE thick saber ground delica makes one heck of a work knife.
- Shannon

MNOSD 0006
jdw

Post by jdw »

Count me in as an Endura fan. ZDP189 was my introduction as to what a steel could be. I am waiting for the K390 model to drop until... It is one of the best platforms to legitimately try new steels that work for you...
Do right always. It will give you satisfaction in life.
--Wovoka
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

prndltech wrote:
Tue Apr 21, 2020 1:46 pm
Cycletroll wrote:
Tue Apr 21, 2020 12:52 pm
As time has gone on, I have a new appreciation for CE blades, or so I think. They actually make sense for my work knives. The 1-1.5”+ towards the tip is used for opening stuff, delicate work, scraping, stuff like that and the back half I almost never use anyways, I decided would be nice to have stay razor sharp with serrations for cutting rope, fibrous things, belts, etc.

After years of dismissing CE knives and preferring plain edge or full serrated blades, I’ve decided to give the combo edge a try as my use, knowledge and sharpening abilities have all increased.

Wartstein, I agree with you in that the longer thinner blades make sense on the Endura for a slicer and my full SE thick saber ground delica makes one heck of a work knife.

Exactly! I have a sabre grind (though CE) Delica too, and always grab it when I have to work really fast, can´t be carefull with the knife at all due to that, might hit metal with the tip and so on (I described an example for that kind of work here viewtopic.php?f=2&t=79554&p=1344045#p1344045 once).

I personally never had the need for a really long blade in "hard use" scenarios, shorter ones even work better for me, while when it comes to real slicing tasks, a long edge often comes in very handy.

And if I could have only ONE folder: It would be the Endura 4 ffg...