Ate my Bradley 2

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Tomj0000

Ate my Bradley 2

Post by Tomj0000 »

Doubt anyone else would ever do this but never use ph up as a acid to force patina. It ate my blade and no longer comes close to the original size. I'm a naturally sweaty guy and after years of daily use, i noticed some rust spots, didn't want it spreading figured I'd force patina. Bad bad bad idea, as the only acid i had was from a old fish tank. I have stomach issues so no apples here. Was one my favorites as they all are, but definitely most used and pretty sure my third spyderco. Just still sad about it and been months
Wartstein

Re: Ate my Bradley 2

Post by Wartstein »

Welcome to the forum! :)

Man, that sounds terrible! That stuff actually really dissolved parts of the blade?! An if, in thickness, just in some spots, or even in length / width?!

One thing that is really aggressive concerning Patina / tool steel actually is denture cleanser... not kidding, I found that out by accident:
Luckily I still have my natural teeth ;), but I use denture cleanser tabs for cleaning my hydration pack or plastic bike bottles (works great and kills all bacteria).
Accidently I put a tool steel blade for just a little while in a bike bottle filled with water and a cleansing tab... man, did that steel react!! :eek:
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
jdw

Post by jdw »

I would suggest letting a patina form naturally??
Do right always. It will give you satisfaction in life.
--Wovoka
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

jdw wrote:
Tue Apr 21, 2020 12:31 pm

+1

I have very little experience with tool steels, but fellow forum member "Pancake" gifted an amazing, very slicey O1 fixed blade to me.
It is in the process of developing a beautiful Patina just by cutting various foods.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
JustinB

Post by JustinB »

Yeah, letting the patina form naturally is best way. I have a few traditional knives in 1095 that I use to cut fruit and stuff and let the patina form naturally
Justin :spyder:
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

That's too bad! :(

Pictures?
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
cabfrank

Post by cabfrank »

Sorry, that is a shame. Yes, please post pictures if possible.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I did the same with my first Para 2 with ferric chloride. If you leave it soaking for too long it'll etch off enough steel to ruin the lock and pivot tolerances and it did. It would still lock but the lock bar was totally bottomed out and it had a lot of blade play in every direction. I sold it cheap to a guy who wanted a beater.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

Pics!

pH up is usually sodium carbonate, which is alkaline.
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

I agree, you can't come in with a story like this and not show us. I wanna see some carnage!

:p
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
Tomj0000

Post by Tomj0000 »

The entire thing! I'll see about posting it, even though ruined I'll still keep it.

I know natural patina wound have been best, but i saw rust. Wanted to end that, or slow. I even had layers of tuff glide and tuff cloth. But I'm a very hot person and sweat alot, even around 180lbs it sucks badly at times. I think is why the m4 spotted up.

Didn't expect anyone to respond to this. So I'm going to go back and read what everyone wrote.
Tomj0000

Post by Tomj0000 »

Wartstein wrote:
Tue Apr 21, 2020 12:18 pm
Welcome to the forum! :)

Man, that sounds terrible! That stuff actually really dissolved parts of the blade?! An if, in thickness, just in some spots, or even in length / width?!

One thing that is really aggressive concerning Patina / tool steel actually is denture cleanser... not kidding, I found that out by accident:
Luckily I still have my natural teeth ;), but I use denture cleanser tabs for cleaning my hydration pack or plastic bike bottles (works great and kills all bacteria).
Accidently I put a tool steel blade for just a little while in a bike bottle filled with water and a cleansing tab... man, did that steel react!! :eek:
Yup, it went from full solid lock up to beyond the most play ever see, floppy is the best word that comes to mind. It's sad, being my most used at the time for years! Thinking cause how i sweat, even being around 180lbs.

Thanks for the heads up on denture tab cleaners, i have also used some, also still have my own teeth. Still good to know.
Tomj0000

Post by Tomj0000 »

jdw wrote:
Tue Apr 21, 2020 12:31 pm
I would have, and actually stopped applying the tuff glide and cloth right before. Jist once i saw actual rust, that's when i started reading online. Had no other acid.

I want to replace it one day, just won't stop applying blade protection. For some terrible reason i sweat like a beast, yet not even close. I can only assume having the m4 tool steel on me almost all the time did it. Was looking great with the natiral patina till i saw brownish red and saw the pits under my loupe!

I also have a air, had a leather slip made for it and i apply tuff on it regularly! Love that one even more so!
Tomj0000

Post by Tomj0000 »

Evil D wrote:
Tue Apr 21, 2020 3:57 pm
I did the same with my first Para 2 with ferric chloride. If you leave it soaking for too long it'll etch off enough steel to ruin the lock and pivot tolerances and it did. It would still lock but the lock bar was totally bottomed out and it had a lot of blade play in every direction. I sold it cheap to a guy who wanted a beater.

Heck yeah, Evil D responded to my first post! Thank you for that, sir. Haha. I've read alot from you, is just cool to me that you wrote.

Also yes, thank you for relating! Sounds quite like almost the same thing.

Just my body projects so much heat combats with sweat, i hate it ever so. Stopped protecting my blade, spotted some rust. Was the only way to slow, learned a lesson.

Was my old nice beater, now can be my **** beater with nice-ish scales. I scratched that blade up, used it for all kinds of terrible ideas. Kept razor sharp so much i ground that m4 down! Got a strop block since. Even hit bone once, deformed my finger for life, no real cares now. So I definitely got my use out it. Still kinda want another to have that m4 cutting edge again.

But yeah, thanks again!
Tomj0000

Post by Tomj0000 »

abbazaba wrote:
Tue Apr 21, 2020 3:58 pm
Pics!

pH up is usually sodium carbonate, which is alkaline.

Yea, yr right.

Was ph down, my bad obviously. I soaked it over a month ago and got them mixed. I checked, was the only ph fluid i still have.
SpyderGrill

Post by SpyderGrill »

Evil D wrote:
Did you paint a couple coats of finger nail polish on the pivot area and where the blade makes contact with the lock before you put it into the acid?

I have done 2 knives so far, a liner lock, and a frame lock. Both had zero blade play before and after
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

SpyderGrill wrote:
Tue Apr 21, 2020 9:51 pm
Evil D wrote:
Did you paint a couple coats of finger nail polish on the pivot area and where the blade makes contact with the lock before you put it into the acid?

I have done 2 knives so far, a liner lock, and a frame lock. Both had zero blade play before and after

Nope, didn't know that was necessary at the time.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Tom,

Welcome to our forum.

sal
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

Wartstein wrote:

Luckily I still have my natural teeth
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

Bloke wrote:
Wed Apr 22, 2020 3:30 pm
Wartstein wrote:

Luckily I still have my natural teeth
Hey! They are still plural... for now.
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson