St. Nick's 4v pm2!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Woodpuppy

Re: St. Nick's 4v pm2!

Post by Woodpuppy »

Well I forgot about it.... watching the Hobbit with the kids. Remembered to check A moment ago and there was one in stock, gone before I could do anything about it!
chrisjohn

Post by chrisjohn »

Funny I don't have issues with any of the other special runs that sell out in minutes from any other purveyor. Just saying.
ikaretababy

Post by ikaretababy »

chrisjohn wrote:
Sat Apr 25, 2020 2:08 pm
Customers should boycott these types of businesses.
I'm just curious but what would you have them do differently? I have way more antipathy towards place like ebay and people who buy knives just to flip them for a profit.
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

Accutronman wrote:
Sat Apr 25, 2020 2:24 pm
Already on ebay for $350-375

One for $479.99 PLUS s&h! :rolleyes: $350 is a relative bargain! :D
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
jalcon

Post by jalcon »

tbdoc4kids wrote:
Sat Apr 25, 2020 2:02 pm
Gone in 1 minute 40 seconds!
Lol try about 45 seconds total.

Seems alot of people missed out on this one. Guess I got lucky. I literally was doing yardwork all day, set my alarm for 3:55 ET...came in, made an account real quick, refreshed at 4 pm...had a confirmation number within 30 seconds....
SLOSpyder

Post by SLOSpyder »

They did respond to customer complaints. They had a digital line. First time I’ve seen that. I followed the instructions and didnt refresh and was able to get one. If you got to the cart then it told you sold out, that means you were never going to get it in first place. I don’t think the retailers will ever win not sure how they could’ve done better than that.
chrisjohn

Post by chrisjohn »

They didn't have a digital line because the knife was removed from my cart when I tried to pay.
michaelm466

Post by michaelm466 »

chrisjohn wrote:
Sat Apr 25, 2020 3:11 pm
They didn't have a digital line because the knife was removed from my cart when I tried to pay.
+1, I got it in my cart, shipping address, credit card info in, and then "sold out" on what should have been my confirmation screen. It showed 901 in stock when I added it to my cart.

However, I'm not sure what they could have done differently, other than order a larger batch (risk) or doing a reorder in the future (also a risk, but much less now that they have seen the demand).
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

For the new forum members here saying St Nick's lost a customer, have you ever purchased a non-exclusive from them? If not, then you weren't really a customer to begin with.

St Nick's has the smoothest drop experience of any of the sites, they just happen to be in the most demand so the hustle is real. Gotta be quick!

They have live inventory, limit to one per customer, are ordering full runs of 1200 now, the website doesn't crash, they don't jack up prices, shipping is free, you get swag with your knife, not sure what more you could want.

I try to buy my non-exclusive sprints and production models from them as much as possible. GREAT guys!
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
ptd

Post by ptd »

Managed to pick one up a minute ago... Says confirmed... Hopefully it goes through and the other two pending charges fall off.

-pd
grg

Post by grg »

chrisjohn wrote:
this
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

chrisjohn wrote:
They did have a digital line - I was in it. At checkout I was taken to a wait screen which said they were holding my place in line while processing the heavy traffic. As instructed, I did not refresh the page, and after a few seconds it took me back to checkout.

St. Nick's seems like a great small business to me - I've always had positive experiences with them, whether for exclusive purchases or other sprints, etc. They do everything they can to make these drops go well, and they're always improving. Sure I'd be disappointed if I'd missed this one, or the Manix, but I sure wouldn't fault them for ordering an exclusive that's so great that everyone wants one.
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.
blues

Post by blues »

JuPaul wrote:
Sat Apr 25, 2020 3:40 pm
chrisjohn wrote:
They did have a digital line - I was in it. At checkout I was taken to a wait screen which said they were holding my place in line while processing the heavy traffic. As instructed, I did not refresh the page, and after a few seconds it took me back to checkout.

St. Nick's seems like a great small business to me - I've always had positive experiences with them, whether for exclusive purchases or other sprints, etc. They do everything they can to make these drops go well, and they're always improving. Sure I'd be disappointed if I'd missed this one, or the Manix, but I sure wouldn't fault them for ordering an exclusive that's so great that everyone wants one.
And that is exactly the screen info I received and what I did...and after I was forwarded on I pasted in my (pre-copied) payment info, I pressed the "pay" button and got a "sold out" message. There were over 900 knives available when I went to checkout.

So, just because it worked in your case or some cases, it did not work in others. I have no heartburn over it. Just stating the facts.
- Retired from the chase -
attila

Post by attila »

JuPaul wrote:
chrisjohn wrote:

Interesting, because I also got that heavy traffic, please hold while we go to checkout screen. Immediately after, I got an out of stock notification.

It’s rotten luck due to number of people, not the store itself. I just wish they’d answer their darned telephone. I tried multiple times in recent weeks at all three locations and no one answered.
Have: old S30V Native, HAP40 Endura, ZDP DF2, S110V Manix LW, Cru-wear Para 3, SE H1 DF2, S90V Native 5, K390 Urban, SE Pac Salt, P.I.T.S., XHP Manix LW, SB Caly 3, B70P, PMA11, K03, Kapara, REX 45 Military, 154CM Manix LW, Swick, AEB-L Urban, KC Cruwear Manix, M390 PM2, Mantra 2, CruCarta Shaman, M390 Manix, K390 Police 4, S90V Manix LW, Rex 45 Manix LW, 20CV Manix, Rex 45 Lil’Native, Shaman, C208GP, Cruwear Manix, Cruwear Manix, M4 Chief, Z-max!!!

Want: SPY27, K490, Swick 5
Peacedivision

Post by Peacedivision »

attila wrote:
Sat Apr 25, 2020 3:47 pm
JuPaul wrote:
chrisjohn wrote:

Interesting, because I also got that heavy traffic, please hold while we go to checkout screen. Immediately after, I got an out of stock notification.

It’s rotten luck due to number of people, not the store itself. I just wish they’d answer their darned telephone. I tried multiple times in recent weeks at all three locations and no one answered.
Pretty sure all their retail locations are currently closed.
JMM

Post by JMM »

I was in the digital line as well for about 8~10 seconds, and got the order complete page at just a tic shy of 15:01 cst -- I don't think raging against St. Nick's is useful or appropriate. IMO they did everything right, their website performed as well if not better than BHQ or KnifeCenter, both of which are way bigger shops. Would it be cool if they ordered larger batches, yeah, but raging against them is childish, they were on point in every other metric worth measuring.
PStone

Post by PStone »

steelcity16 wrote:
Sat Apr 25, 2020 3:21 pm
For the new forum members here saying St Nick's lost a customer, have you ever purchased a non-exclusive from them? If not, then you weren't really a customer to begin with.

St Nick's has the smoothest drop experience of any of the sites, they just happen to be in the most demand so the hustle is real. Gotta be quick!

They have live inventory, limit to one per customer, are ordering full runs of 1200 now, the website doesn't crash, they don't jack up prices, shipping is free, you get swag with your knife, not sure what more you could want.

I try to buy my non-exclusive sprints and production models from them as much as possible. GREAT guys!
+1000!!

I have made multiple purchases there long before they got into the exclusive game. I discovered them while on vacation in Gulf Shores,AL in 2014. Went into their Foley store simply because I saw a very cool, giant motorized Swiss Army Knife in a window by the Starbucks we went to. I only bought a Lansky turnbox and some extra rods, but the people were so nice and friendly. There almost an hour. Chatted about being on vacation, and random things. Got recommendations of places to eat, things to do, etc. So when I got back home, I bookmarked their website, and started making purchases from them. Their free shipping deal is outstanding. Plus, I am pleasantly reminded of that wonderful vacation every time I order from them.
ptd

Post by ptd »

The only problem I have with their "digital line" is the fact that it seems to be first come first on the back-end regardless of you being in line and in the middle of the check out process...

I have dealt with other systems that reserve inventory for say X minutes once you begin the check-out process such that once you hit check out you are no longer racing through the process as inventory is slipping away, or say if there is a perceived problem with billing for whatever reason you just punch in new payment without losing your spot in "line" and inventory...

But hey, it is what it is and I played the game and hopefully managed to snag one.. Will see if it ships.

-pd
willc

Post by willc »

Only speculating but I have a feeling someone at St Nicks is sitting on a bunch of these now and they will now let them go to the highest bidder.
Accutronman

Post by Accutronman »

ptd wrote:
Sat Apr 25, 2020 3:58 pm
The only problem I have with their "digital line" is the fact that it seems to be first come first on the back-end regardless of you being in line and in the middle of the check out process...

I have dealt with other systems that reserve inventory for say X minutes once you begin the check-out process such that once you hit check out you are no longer racing through the process as inventory is slipping away, or say if there is a perceived problem with billing for whatever reason you just punch in new payment without losing your spot in "line" and inventory...

But hey, it is what it is and I played the game and hopefully managed to snag one.. Will see if it ships.

-pd
+1 Absolutely correct on reserving inventory